FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Fram Oil Filter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was driving to work this morning and my cell rang. it was my dad saying there was a puddle of oil where my car was parked last night. i live 30 mins from work. anyways i pull over and check my fluid level nad it was just above "min". im only 8 mins from work and i decided to continue driving. i get to work and check the level again. same if not slightly lower. so i looke under the car again and notice oil dripping from the plug. i figure the plug is loose, so i go to call my dad back, but i look again and notice it dripping from other parts on the pan. so i look behind the engine and everythign below the oil filter is soaked in oil. the firewall, front cross member and the whole p/s front suspension. im like wtf and try to see if it was loose, nope tight as can be. so i turn the car on and then start reving it from the TB and can see oil spitting from where the filter is. the last time i had an oil change was August 23 and i had put 3000kms since, so i was trying to figure out why it would be doing that. anyways i call a towtruck to bring the car back to Canadian Tire(where i work and where that oil change was done) i normally do it myself. i get the car there and they get it on the hoist right away and confirm it was leakign from the filter. it was on pretty tight and after the got it off we checked the gasket and it was fine. turns out it was the seal on the filter, where orange cap meets the part that screws onto the block. there was a hole in it that was the cause of free oil spray on the bottom of my car. anyways service fills out the work order, inputs the new filter, labor and oil to top it off. then he added the tow which was $80. then handed it to me and told me to go to the front cash and pay for it. i look at him, took it, and went to talk to the parts manager (who i like and have a good realtionship wiht. hes like wtf about the price. and siad it should all be warranty with the filter cause. which i also thought. so i jsut went upstairs to the store ownere and explained everything to him. being a car guy he couldnt believe it. he took the work order and said no problem ill take care of it. and that was it.

i still can beleive that the seal on the highend oil filter that we sell at CT went after only 3000kms. not that it should ever go either.
Pure bad luck...
Focus Is Art,Sep 22 2005, 04:49 PM Wrote:Pure bad luck...
[right][snapback]144011[/snapback][/right]

Fram filters suck ass anyway, use the quakter state ones they sell. Much better B) I will never touch fram with a 40 foot pole.
I use both the motorcraft ones and the Fram ones.

No issues Yet.
I use whatever Stockfish uses. If it blows, they're screwed. It's that simple.

Sorry to hear about your luck.
its a good hting my dad noticed otherwise, i had alot of running around to do today and i coulda lost a significant amount of oil, to the point of damage
ZX5focused,Sep 22 2005, 04:28 PM Wrote:its a good hting my dad noticed otherwise, i had alot of running around to do today and i coulda lost a significant amount of oil, to the point of damage
[right][snapback]144025[/snapback][/right]

Ya but Fram would have had to buy you a new engine LOL!
MAlby7,Sep 22 2005, 05:10 PM Wrote:
ZX5focused,Sep 22 2005, 04:28 PM Wrote:its a good hting my dad noticed otherwise, i had alot of running around to do today and i coulda lost a significant amount of oil, to the point of damage

[right][snapback]144034[/snapback][/right]
who knows new parts never hurt a focus!!!lol
Fram filters are garbage, i would use a ford and nothing but, better quality hands down
MAlby7,Sep 22 2005, 04:10 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]144034[/snapback][/right]

fram would NEVER buy you a new engine .. they would say a rock or something hit it and caused it to get a hole in the filter. or blame it on the user/installer.

If anything it would be CT.
Crazirich,Sep 22 2005, 03:43 PM Wrote:Fram filters are garbage, i would use a ford and nothing but, better quality hands down
[right][snapback]144055[/snapback][/right]
Fram is pure crap for filters. Use oem.
Phantom,Sep 22 2005, 07:26 PM Wrote:
Crazirich,Sep 22 2005, 03:43 PM Wrote:Fram filters are garbage, i would use a ford and nothing but, better quality hands down
Fram is pure crap for filters. Use oem.
[right][snapback]144069[/snapback][/right]

Or wix from napa. Purolator are awesome to, oem are great but there are other good choices
you should use the motorcraft ones becase they are much longer and the same amount of money
Yep, Fram filters are some of the worst you can buy. Oem or Napa Gold (made by Wix) are good low cost filters. The link below is a good read.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters.html

I only use Motorcraft ones... best filters for the money.

Have you contacted Fram yet and demanded they cover the cost of getting your engine shampooed? :P
Raine,Sep 23 2005, 02:01 AM Wrote:I only use Motorcraft ones... best filters for the money.

Have you contacted Fram yet and demanded they cover the cost of getting your engine shampooed? :P
[right][snapback]144148[/snapback][/right]
my mechanic sprayed down the whole back of the motor and everything else soak in oil wiht engine degreaser and then washed it off with hose. plus a little oil on the botttom of my car never hurt, wiht salt season coming up :)
Raine,Sep 23 2005, 03:01 AM Wrote:I only use Motorcraft ones... best filters for the money.

[right][snapback]144148[/snapback][/right]

Motorcraft ones are made by purolator anyway, a purolator or wix filter is just as good and cost less then a motorcraft one.
Canadian Tire does oil changes? :blink:
Crazirich,Sep 22 2005, 09:43 PM Wrote:Fram filters are garbage, i would use a ford and nothing but, better quality hands down

100% agree - stay away from FRAM. The Motorcraft filter is an excellent unit !!
I've never had a problem with a Fram oil filter, maybe I'll try something else. Lot's of people here saying they are bad, but no one gives reasons/experiences except for ZX5focused.