FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Gear Shifter Spring
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all,

Here is the deal. You know when you take the manual transmission out of gear and it normally just goes to the center of the shifter console/plate...well for some reason mine doesn't do that anymore. I just took off for lunch, went and got a coffee, hung out with my friends at the coffee shop for a few minutes. I jumped back in my car, put the car in gear and left the coffee shop. normally when I go from second to third I just let the shifter find the center and push it into third...well now it doesn't find the center so I have to manually get it in there.

Has this problem happened to anyone else? I still have warranty on the car and tranny so I think I am gonna let ford fix this one however if someone can tell me what the problem is that way when I bring it to ford and they tell me its something else I can say "can you show me..." just so the don't attempt to screw me around.
Happened to me when I swapped the shifter for the first time. Theres just like you said a spring that brings the shifter into the center, it could have slipped off or broke....
Well i didn't hear anythign snap so I am gonna go with the slipped off idea.
Do you have a lot more play than usual while your in gear. If so then I think you broke the plastic clip for the spring.

Mine broke and was replaced with some kinda C clip from my mechanic. And now it is back to normal.

not really more play...the shifter just doesn't re-center when you let it go. It only does this on the left side. When you push the shifter over to the right side towards 5th gear and release it the shifter flops back to the center. Well I am due for an oilchange in this bucket so I think I will have Ford look the shifter over. At the same time I am gonna get me a quote on my tach install.
sounds like someone lost all the "spring" in his stick.......they have medication for that now....