FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Clutch - Options?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well my clutch has finally decided to slowly die... after 9 years and almost 250,000 kms. So what options are out there and what price points are they?

I want a good one that is for the regular 2.0 Zetec.
what did the dealer quote you?
paolo,Apr 2 2010, 10:22 AM Wrote:what did the dealer quote you?
[right][snapback]304321[/snapback][/right]

too much like usual lol
I personally would rather go to the dealer than some hanji / binder aftermarket shop. you may not know what your getting yourself into, and second all, its just a Zetec, your not gonna get any extra whp by spending more on a clutch.
Frost__2001,Apr 2 2010, 07:50 AM Wrote:Well my clutch has finally decided to slowly die... after 9 years and almost 250,000 kms. So what options are out there and what price points are they?

[right][snapback]304319[/snapback][/right]

If the stock one lasted you 250,000km's I'd say that's a good one.

Unless you plan on building up hp, stock would be fine.
Keep it stock if you're gonna be stock (power wise)
Phantom,Apr 3 2010, 11:41 AM Wrote:
Frost__2001,Apr 2 2010, 07:50 AM Wrote:Well my clutch has finally decided to slowly die... after 9 years and almost 250,000 kms. So what options are out there and what price points are they?

[right][snapback]304370[/snapback][/right]

That's basically what I just told Frost_2001 in the post before yours and Dr. Nik's
Actually as it turns out it was not the clutch dying at all, the god awful smell turned out to be... get this ... the driver's side Caliper not releasing when my foot came off the brake!

So yeah, it kinda makes me happy as the clutch still had plenty of great pull when you start to disengage it, but it was the smell that had me thinking it was until my dad and I figured it out.

so a $2000 repair bill turned into a $200, and I was able to repair minor things on my to do list after the trip to the scrap yard, and crappy tire. after all said and done I replaced the bad caliper, dead mirror motor, bad winow switch in one of my back doors, replaced the inner fender, and side repeater..

All I need to do now is get my doors & fenders touched up, rear fog bulb, a spare alloy, and I think my car will be ready for another 9 years and 247,000 kms. I have to admit this weekend's weather turned out perfectly to do all this too.
there is an easy way to see if your clutch is going, start driving it in 5th gear to see how much its slipping. if it doesn't stall, then you know its your clutch is slipping
paolo,Apr 3 2010, 01:31 PM Wrote:

That's basically what I just told Frost_2001 in the post before yours and Dr. Nik's
[right][snapback]304380[/snapback][/right]

really considering putting you into my ignore list now.
paolo,Apr 3 2010, 12:31 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]304380[/snapback][/right]

Ah yes you sort of did. But unlike your post. I gave actual logic and reason as to why to stay stock rather than just saying you won't gain hp from doing it.

Glad to hear you got your problem solved Frost..
Phantom,Apr 3 2010, 09:04 PM Wrote:Ah yes you sort of did.
[right][snapback]304437[/snapback][/right]

hater.. :)
paolo,Apr 3 2010, 07:05 PM Wrote:there is an easy way to see if your clutch is going, start driving it in 5th gear to see how much its slipping.  if it doesn't stall, then you know its your clutch is slipping
[right][snapback]304414[/snapback][/right]

as in, get to 20-30km/h and change into 5th, and see if it stalls?
no just start from a dead stop in 5th gear and see if it stalls, if it stalls, its ok, the clutch has enough grip to stall the engine, if it does not stall, the cluth is slipping, since its not transferring power from wheels to flywheel and vice a versa.