FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: What To Buy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, not sure if anyone has read my frustrated post, except OAC Sparky, and i'm thinking if it would be a good time to buy a new ethernet card. My son the computer genius has found the drivers etc online for my current ethernet card, but He and Dell aren't sure if it'll work if I reinstall the driver(s). So, do I take the golden opportunity to purchase a new card, and if so, what do I purchase? Please note to you computer experts, or can I say geeks in a respectful way?, that the home computer is used for e-mail surfing the net and banking, nothing huge or Focus RS needed.
What kind of computer is it? ie: specs.

To be honest if your motherboard doesn't have one built in, then its probably fairly old. If you need a ethernet card I have a few in a bin here just 100mbit, which is pretty much all your going to need by the sounds of it.
Scorcher000,Jun 16 2009, 08:22 AM Wrote:D-Link 10/100/1000 
http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku....&affixedcode=WW
[right][snapback]289543[/snapback][/right]

What he said... Can't go wrong!
to be honest, any old ethernet card should work. I've never had a problem with them regardless of brand. Most use a chipset that'll work with any generic NIC driver.

I've done Promise, DLink, Realtek, etc... just get the cheapest one with windows drivers included in the box to make your life simple
What others have said but just watch out that the card you buy has the drivers that you need to get up and running in the box

Seems some manufacturers are cutting costs by having their card install with a generic Windows driver from the Operating System (Or the disc) and then having the user go on line for the latest driver. A hassle you obviously don't want.

NefCanuck