FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Marko Martin Co-driver Dies In Wrc Rally
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
that has to suck for that driver, knowing you killed someone that was sitting right beside you. One split second mistake could end your life, or someone elses, that should serve as a reminder to drive safely.
crazikev,Sep 20 2005, 12:25 AM Wrote:...that should serve as a reminder to drive safely.
[right][snapback]143271[/snapback][/right]

:unsure: :blink: Um... since when do rally drivers have the option to drive safely???
Raine,Sep 20 2005, 12:58 AM Wrote:
crazikev,Sep 20 2005, 12:25 AM Wrote:...that should serve as a reminder to drive safely.
[right][snapback]143271[/snapback][/right]

:unsure: :blink: Um... since when do rally drivers have the option to drive safely???
[right][snapback]143277[/snapback][/right]
but YOU have the opportunity to do so, there are a lot of fucktards out there...

oh btw :puke: , i sound like someones mother in that first post, lets just say i was drunk
:( this is pretty sad.

here is a better article.

[Image: _40815280_park_pa_203.jpg]

Michael Park, co-driver for Markko Martin, has died after an accident on stage 15 of Wales Rally GB on Sunday.
Park, 39, was killed when Martin's Peugeot 307 crashed heavily into a tree on the passenger's side during the 17-mile Margam stage. Estonian Martin escaped unhurt. The stage was halted and organisers then decided to cancel the final two stages.

Petter Solberg won the event after Sebastien Loeb declined to retain his world title in such circumstances.

A statement from the organisers said: "It is with deep regret that we confirm that Michael Park was fatally injured following an accident on special stage 15.

"The next of kin has been informed. The driver of car number eight, Markko Martin, is uninjured."

No spectators were involved in the accident.

Park, nicknamed 'Beef', was a highly-experienced co-driver who had worked with former champions Richard Burns and Colin McRae.

Married with children, he first began rallying on the world championship circuit in 1994 as Mark Higgins' co-driver.

Park, from Newent in Gloucestershire, teamed up with Martin in 2000 when the Estonian was rallying a privately-entered Toyota. They stayed together at Subaru and Ford before moving to Peugeot this year. The pair had won five world rallies together. Peugeot issued a statement confirming that Martin had hit a tree on the right hand side of the car, fatally injuring Park.

"Peugeot Automobiles and Peugeot Sport would like to express their feeling of extreme sadness and deep emotion to the family of Michael Park."

The cancellation of the remaining stages and withdrawal of Peugeot's Marcus Gronholm after Park's death would have meant Citroen's Loeb retaining his world title. But the Frenchman declined to win the title in that manner and deliberately incurred a two minute penalty before heading back to Cardiff for the offical finish. That left him in third place with Subaru's Solberg declared the winner and Citroen's Francois Duval runner-up.

The rally finished at a sombre Millennium Stadium, where flags flew at half mast and a minute's silence was observed.

R.I.P.

As alot of you know, I am a huge rally fan and this is obviously terrible news for Parks family, Markko, and the whole Peugeot and WRC family..

Despite some of the tightest and most advanced safety measures in this sport sometimes tragedies are unavoidable and its a sad sad day for the entire WRC community...on sucha fabulous rally too!@!! :(

R.I.P.--1966-2005 Michael Park
wow... this sucks. It's one of the last things the WRC world needs right now. It's a great sport, and despite it's extremes, it's quite safe. However, stuff does happen.

I'm sure marko is pretty devastated, but talk about how big a man loeb was to refuse to win under such circumstances... Rally drivers are stand up people in every regard.

(picked up an import copy of colin mcrae for my PSP yesterday ..woot!)
Sad news. Still, it's better than having another innocent spectator killed again.
CanadaSVT,Sep 20 2005, 06:55 AM Wrote:Sad news.  Still, it's better than having another innocent spectator killed again.
[right][snapback]143322[/snapback][/right]

screw that.........the spectators willing put themselves in harms way. How many motorsports allow some town idiot to jump in front of a WRC car moving insane speeds just to take a photo. The WRC crews are trained professionals and accidents happen.

as whole for the WRC it is better I guess but..........
:( R.I.P 'Beef' :(
Was a horrible day for us here in Wales to witness that happening to such a great co-driver in our own country. Was a very sad day! :(
COCHYN,Oct 8 2005, 06:27 AM Wrote:Was a horrible day for us here in Wales to witness that happening to such a great co-driver in our own country. Was a very sad day! :(
[right][snapback]147580[/snapback][/right]

Yeh I just saw video and still photos of the crash...terrible...sorry it happened on your turf!!