FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Us Automakers In Big Trouble.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
sobering news article on the US auto industry

some clips from it...

Quote: DETROIT (Reuters) - A miserable year for U.S. automakers General Motors Corp. (GM) and Ford Motor Co. (F) looks set to turn even worse in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

"SUV sales aren't just slowing -- they're crashing to a halt," he told Reuters, referring to traditional truck-based SUVs, not the "crossover" car-based variety that deliver better highway performance and fuel economy.

Analyst David Healy of Burnham Securities told Reuters in an interview last week that neither company is likely to return to profitability in North America before 2008.

U.S. carmakers' heavy dependence on big SUVs amid stalling demand was a factor cited by the Standard & Poor's ratings agency when it downgraded the debt of GM and Ford to high-yield, or "junk," status in May.

The auto giants, weakened by their seeming inability to sell enough cars without the use of profit-eroding discounts, have also been struggling under the burden of soaring costs for everything from health care to raw materials.

But tensions are mounting in Detroit, a redoubt of American trade unionism, as the U.S. carmakers bleed a slow but seemingly unstoppable flow of market share to foreign rivals led by Toyota Motor Corp. .

a bit sensationalist, but pretty sobering thoughts...
The North American manufacturers are slowly following the British Auto industry into obscurity.

Laterz :)
haha, i could have swore someone in my ford sucks thread told me that ford was doing better than ever...

Still sorta makes me sad to see them in trouble. :(
Ever notice how NA automakers are ALWAYS in trouble... If they were actually losing huge amounts of money how long do you think they'd stay in business. Must be workers contract renewal time.
scoobasteve,Sep 19 2005, 05:08 PM Wrote:haha, i could have swore someone in my ford sucks thread told me that ford was doing better than ever...[right][snapback]143189[/snapback][/right]
I've looked through your thread, I could swear you're wrong.
I can't think of any current NA cars that interest me in the least. Maybe if I stretch my imagination maybe some of the Chrsler stuff or maybe a Caddy.
2001 ZTS,Sep 19 2005, 07:30 PM Wrote:I can't think of any current NA cars that interest me in the least. Maybe if I stretch my imagination maybe some of the Chrsler stuff or maybe a Caddy.
[right][snapback]143215[/snapback][/right]

You own a subaru. Boring is boring and that car is just boring. You have your tastes and the rest of the world has their's. I heard yours 10 million times too many.

Enjoy your box of a car.
:lol:

Nothing like the suspense and thrill of wondering what's going to break next on the Focus.
2001 ZTS,Sep 19 2005, 08:14 PM Wrote::lol:

Nothing like the suspense and thrill of wondering what's going to break next on the Focus.
[right][snapback]143225[/snapback][/right]

:lol: , so true. ah well,t hat what J&T is their for, to fix Ford's mistakes. :P

This is good, I want to take a look at the Solstice and Sky when they come out....,maybe they'll have employee pricing on those models to....
I still wouldn't mind an Ion Redline.

Be that as it may, I'll keep the Focus. At least I can pronounce all the parts' names in the dealer catalogue :P
This is news?
To me it's sad news, I really like ford it's why I chose to get the current Focus, But in a positive light, maybe Ford will finally start bring some of their euro / Auzzie brands to north american shores just to show that they have more then just when we're used too.
Frost__2001,Sep 22 2005, 08:57 AM Wrote:To me it's sad news, I really like ford it's why I chose to get the current Focus, But in a positive light, maybe Ford will finally start bring some of their euro / Auzzie brands to north american shores just to show that they have more then just when we're used too.
[right][snapback]143874[/snapback][/right]

Afraid not, it's going to be the same old same old. There is a thread in Off Topic where Ford says Ford North America will remain "unique" from Ford Europe:

http://www.focuscanada.net/forum/index.p...opic=13387
2001 ZTS,Sep 22 2005, 11:03 AM Wrote:
Frost__2001,Sep 22 2005, 08:57 AM Wrote:To me it's sad news, I really like ford it's why I chose to get the current Focus, But in a positive light, maybe Ford will finally start bring some of their euro / Auzzie brands to north american shores just to show that they have more then just when we're used too.
[right][snapback]143874[/snapback][/right]

Afraid not, it's going to be the same old same old. There is a thread in Off Topic where Ford says Ford North America will remain "unique" from Ford Europe:

http://www.focuscanada.net/forum/index.p...opic=13387
[right][snapback]143877[/snapback][/right]

I read an article last night saying ford and gm are going to head down this road for a little while longer then things are going to pick up again. I read it on gminside news. He was some guy from a fancy finacial company or something. He said it's a cyle every company goes through. Go down hill then yah go up again. It happended to them back in the day with the oil crisis and all, it's happening again then get better. Ford and GM could neevr go out of buisness, millions of people would be out of work.
darkpuppet,Sep 19 2005, 04:43 PM Wrote:sobering news article on the US auto industry

some clips from it...

Quote: DETROIT (Reuters) - A miserable year for U.S. automakers General Motors Corp. (GM) and Ford Motor Co. (F) looks set to turn even worse in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

"SUV sales aren't just slowing -- they're crashing to a halt," he told Reuters, referring to traditional truck-based SUVs, not the "crossover" car-based variety that deliver better highway performance and fuel economy.

Analyst David Healy of Burnham Securities told Reuters in an interview last week that neither company is likely to return to profitability in North America before 2008.

U.S. carmakers' heavy dependence on big SUVs amid stalling demand was a factor cited by the Standard & Poor's ratings agency when it downgraded the debt of GM and Ford to high-yield, or "junk," status in May.

The auto giants, weakened by their seeming inability to sell enough cars without the use of profit-eroding discounts, have also been struggling under the burden of soaring costs for everything from health care to raw materials.

But tensions are mounting in Detroit, a redoubt of American trade unionism, as the U.S. carmakers bleed a slow but seemingly unstoppable flow of market share to foreign rivals led by Toyota Motor Corp. .

[right][snapback]143185[/snapback][/right]

I smell a market crash.

I say good!

FU ck em'.
ANTHONYD,Sep 22 2005, 01:19 PM Wrote:
darkpuppet,Sep 19 2005, 04:43 PM Wrote:sobering news article on the US auto industry

some clips from it...

I smell a market crash.

I say good!

FU ck em'.
[right][snapback]143947[/snapback][/right]

Fuk Who? Cause I can tell ya that if that were to happen, there would be more than just the Ford workers out of work on this site. Yep, I am cheerleading buying NA vehicles to keep you and your neighbour employed. The auto industry in Ontario supports many families that rely on companies like Ford and Gm to directly or indirectly put food on their table. I guarantee Mr. Fuk Ya that you might be very seriously affected by the loss of one of the huge automotive giants.
meford4u,Sep 22 2005, 12:30 PM Wrote:

some clips from it...

I smell a market crash.

I say good!

FU ck em'.

Fuk Who? Cause I can tell ya that if that were to happen, there would be more than just the Ford workers out of work on this site. Yep, I am cheerleading buying NA vehicles to keep you and your neighbour employed. The auto industry in Ontario supports many families that rely on companies like Ford and Gm to directly or indirectly put food on their table. I guarantee Mr. Fuk Ya that you might be very seriously affected by the loss of one of the huge automotive giants.
[right][snapback]143951[/snapback][/right]
just take a look at Welland Ontario, it had many industries there, like Atlas steels and Stelpipe and all that stuff. Way back when all those companies were there the city was booming it was a really nice city. Now Stelpipe is gone, Atlas is gone, the only big employer there is really John Deere. And that city is now a s**t hole. Its actual very sad what that city was once and what it has become.
Now if you take out Ford and GM from Ontario, i would hate to see that happen, that would almost be the death of Ontario as we know it.
There's one big difference between today and the oil crisis days... we're now in a globalized market, and the distribution of manufacturing and trade means we can't so quickly discount the foreign markets anymore.

Back in the day, the US manufacturers were able to come back and compete against the rather small import invasion. However, today, the US automakers won't be so lucky.

The problem with North America and big corporations, is that they just think they can react to competition, instead of trying to lead competition. Innovators are far and few in between, yet it's the innovators that lead and build new markets.

There's a serious problem with a global market and a domestic product that doesn't measure up. Maybe they'll recover this time, if they're lucky, but I honestly doubt it.... and if they do, it's because those jobs that so much of us rely on are going to end up beig paid for by the taxpayer.

North america has to stop sitting on it's collective asses.. it's a continent that has spent so much time working hard to be at the front, but maybe got burnt out along the way... I only hope it ushers in a reasonable era of european work ethics, of work smarter, not harder.
darkpuppet,Sep 22 2005, 01:02 PM Wrote:There's one big difference between today and the oil crisis days... we're now in a globalized market, and the distribution of manufacturing and trade means we can't so quickly discount the foreign markets anymore. 

Back in the day, the US manufacturers were able to come back and compete against the rather small import invasion.  However, today, the US automakers won't be so lucky.

The problem with North America and big corporations, is that they just think they can react to competition, instead of trying to lead competition.  Innovators are far and few in between, yet it's the innovators that lead and build new markets.

There's a serious problem with a global market and a domestic product that doesn't measure up.  Maybe they'll recover this time, if they're lucky, but I honestly doubt it.... and if they do, it's because those jobs that so much of us rely on are going to end up beig paid for by the taxpayer.

North america has to stop sitting on it's collective asses.. it's a continent that has spent so much time working hard to be at the front, but maybe got burnt out along the way...  I only hope it ushers in a reasonable era of european work ethics, of work smarter, not harder.
[right][snapback]143968[/snapback][/right]
1 word, TARIFFS!
meford4u,Sep 22 2005, 02:30 PM Wrote:

some clips from it...

I smell a market crash.

I say good!

FU ck em'.

[right][snapback]143951[/snapback][/right]

I can imagine the people out of work in ontario alone if it happended :( It be very very bad though, then everyone will be stuck with an echo or civic, yay :rolleyes: JUNK
Pages: 1 2