FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Making A Custom Sub Enclosure
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've never made a formed sub enclosure before, and don't know what's necessary... SVTZX503 has the nicest one I've seen and I wanna replicate it, but I don't know how to form the back wall... is it necessary to do that, or can I leave the back open to the wall of the car and just make the front/sides?
I really think it has to be made the way mine was done to get good sound quality. Take out all the carpet and put down some duct tape(to protect everything) and go from there.check with focusguy7476 he was there when ours were being made,he may even have more pictures of how it was done.
This site really helped me a lot: http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/proj/main/

Just make sure you're really careful with the resin, if you get it on anything it's impossible to get it off. Dont wear nice clothes, and make sure you mask off everything around where you're going to be glassing.
Excellent site for fiberglassing!

That site is awesome......

a definite must have in the bookmarks....
Guilty! That site is facking amazing! I learned a million things in 5 mins. I'm gonna make this my winter project... awesome stuff. Thanks
that's a crazy site...makes me want to start a projet but not for the stereo but maybe for the bezel or something. again nice site.
guilty,Sep 16 2005, 01:00 AM Wrote:This site really helped me a lot:  http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/proj/main/

Just make sure you're really careful with the resin, if you get it on anything it's impossible to get it off.  Dont wear nice clothes, and make sure you mask off everything around where you're going to be glassing.
[right][snapback]142495[/snapback][/right]

and use a mask. I wasnt using one with focusonthis_88 display....I worked in an open garage, mostly outside, at the end of the week, I found myself with crazy headpains and chest pains. I also couldnt sleep, I'd stare at the ceiling till about 5am before I fell asleep. That fiberglass resin is crazy on the nervous system. :blink:

I now use a mask even if Im only using for an hour or so.....
Oh yeah, Flo is right. Definitely pick up a decent respirator and use it all the time. Also try to work in open air, the smell of the resin is incredibly strong and will stick around on things.

This might be tough as a winter project unless you have a heated garage with a good ventilation system, since the resin hardener is really sensitive to temperature.
Better get started early on the winter project! hehe!

I need 2 sub enclosures for my hatch, and I think I'm going to give it a try!

I have two area heaters in my garage... keeps the place warm even with the garage open and -20 temps sitting outside...