FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Gapping Motorcraft One Step Colder Plugs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i just got a set of plugs from ford. The ones that are one step colder. i'm wondering if they come pre-gapped? or what the recommended gap for them is?

I'd like to put these in my car tonight but i don't have my gapping tool with me.

For the people who put these in there cars, did the gap need to be adjusted?

oh, these plugs are super cheap too .. $14 for 4 plugs .. can't beat that
schade,Sep 13 2005, 06:27 PM Wrote:i just got a set of plugs from ford.  The ones that are one step colder.  i'm wondering if they come pre-gapped? or what the recommended gap for them is?

I'd like to put these in my car tonight but i don't have my gapping tool with me.

For the people who put these in there cars, did the gap need to be adjusted?

oh, these plugs are super cheap too .. $14 for 4 plugs .. can't beat that
[right][snapback]141756[/snapback][/right]

Jesus the old plugs for our tempo cost more :lol: FACK, oh well. I don't think thier pre gapped really, need to be gapped for sho
Just curious why you didn't go with the double-platinum tipped ones that are spec for the Focus (albeit a bit more expensive) ? I know those ones don't mention pre-gapped, but each time I've done them they seem to be.
every time i've used platinum plugs, they ended up shitting the bed within 15K or so .. they get all fouled up and end up costing you more in the long run .. i'd rather run the coppers and replace them more often .. piece of mind
GapBoyPCS,Sep 13 2005, 06:32 PM Wrote:Just curious why you didn't go with the double-platinum tipped ones that are spec for the Focus (albeit a bit more expensive) ? I know those ones don't mention pre-gapped, but each time I've done them they seem to be.
[right][snapback]141758[/snapback][/right]

Do the double plat's come in colder form?
yup .. i htink its the same part number .. just remove the "C" from the end of it
Curious as to why your using colder plugs and your running a stock setup? I'd be more concerned into what is going wrong causing your other plugs to get fouled up.......

it wasn't on my focus that the fouling up happend .. it was on the past cars i've owned or on other peoples cars i've changed plugs on that requested platinum plugs
the stock plugs should do you for a LONNNG time... I don't recall hearing anything about people's plugs fouling prematurely around these parts.

But if it matters, you should be able to run the stock gap (.050)... but you're probably going to experience decreased performance.

I'm running FI, and have mine gapped at .040, but will probably take them down to .035, as I seem to get some blow-out in 1st gear full throttle.
If they are the plugs for your model car then you shouldn't need to cap them. That is why they sell all different models for different cars
Mine were gapped at .40 from the box.
How come no one is using the metric system here we don't not go by the standard system this is not America. Actually Nasa is converting to the metric system so the whole states will be soon too.
BradfordZX3,Sep 14 2005, 01:20 PM Wrote:How come no one is using the metric system here we don't not go by the standard system this is not America. Actually Nasa is converting to the metric system so the whole states will be soon too.
[right][snapback]141922[/snapback][/right]

Everyone i know goes by the old school standard way for sprak plug gap, it's much easier to rememeber. As far as certain things go, the standard system is much easier to use. Alot of things are still standard sizes and all older cars are still standard. Metric in reality is easier to remember but people have been using it for so long it won't go away for along time. And as far as gaping plugs for your car, thier not always gapped, some models use the same plugs so gap must be checked and gapped for your application. My brothers malibu plugs had to be gapped for his 3.1 and thier were acdelco plugs for his car. Until standard is totally dead most people will still use it most often then metric,canada or not.
Well on the hood of my car it uses a metric measurement to gap the plugs. I was just going by what two dealers told me and i think i will listen to them because they are the ones dealing with this stuff everyday