FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: I Actually Saw One Of These Yesterday On The Qew
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: z1_01s.jpg]

BMW Z1

[Image: 01.jpg]

Late 80's. I'm pretty good at knowing what cars are wht...but this one, I had know idea. :lol:
Holy crap!

ive never seen one of those before either...

do you know of the production numbers?
WOW! THERE ARE ONLY 8000 EVER MADE.

AND I SAW ONE.

I HAVE A PICTURE ON MY CELL PHONE THAT I WILL TRY AND UPLOAD.

8000 vehicles of the BMW type Z1 were build all together. Below is a list that shows the amount of cars that were build in each color and the amount that were delivered to the appropriate countries:

Vehicles listed under „remaining countries“ were delivered to the following countries:
Bahrain, Dubai, Gibraltar, Lagos, Liberia, Norway, Sweden, Tunisia, Hungary, Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Brunei, Costa Rica, French Antilles, Greece, Iraq, Ireland, Jordan, Morocco, New Zealand, Netherl. Antillies, Polen, Switzerland, Singapore, Syria, Venezuela.

The BMW Z1 is a two-seat soft top roadster. It uses the engine and transmission from the E30 325 mounted in a specially designed base frame or chassis, which is made from galvanised steel. The sports body, which is made from various types of composite resin panels, is fixed onto the base frame. The front suspension is re-worked 325 components, with a wider track. The rear suspension is the specially designed 'Z axle'. The most distinctive features of the body are the electrically powered doors, which in the open position drop down into the side sills, this creating the ultimate 'open car' when the soft top is lowered underneath its' flat cover.

The doors of the Z1 are unique. The doors drop down into the car's sills (or rockers), and as they drop the windows lower. The "open air" cockpit was considered unsafe in the USA, and the Z1 was not allowed to be imported for many years. Today, the Z1 can be imported into the USA.

The Z1 was one of the first BMWs to have multi-link rear suspension.
Where are the side doors?
It's not so ugly if you can cross the lake in it :P
Raine,Sep 13 2005, 12:00 AM Wrote:Where are the side doors?
[right][snapback]141534[/snapback][/right]

The doors drop sown into the side of the car like your windows!

I nead design.

And the cars panels are all plastic.

I guess Saturn wasn't as revolutionary as they thought.
Very Interesting, I've never even heard of that car before.
SVT ZX3,Sep 13 2005, 10:25 AM Wrote:Very Interesting, I've never even heard of that car before.
[right][snapback]141586[/snapback][/right]

Either have I
I had the model car of one of these, I got it back in 98........ I think I still have it. And yes you are right the doors open down, they silde down and up to get in and out.

I'm kinda not suprised about you seeing one on the 401 though, when I was working for Chrysler Canada, I drove a RHD Jimmy with Kms, and a Honda " City " convertible.
what colour was it ?
RED/.