FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: What's Hot Right Now?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've recently found myself being left behind in the music scene because I'm stubborn, and don't like to sway too far from my favorites (Matthew Good, Audioslave, White stripes and all the classic rock you could swing a hookah pipe at)

I was in HMV the other day looking for something new to get into.

What's good guys?
What's hot?
Where's a good place to start.

In a previous thread, I noted I downloaded a whack of the Flaming Lips stuff. (It's growing on me really fast)

I JUST started listening to the White Stripes (and have come to the conclusion, that music is not anywhere near what it used to be)

I picked up the new Jamiroquai album (It all sounds the same)

And recently bought the new WEEZER (Dork rock gets old so fast)

Help me out fellas.
I'm I guess "behind on the times" too..... I think the last album I got was the new System of a down album which was pretty good. Pennywise also had a new album not that anybody knew but it was pretty good.
Pennywise...
hmm.
I'll have to give a listen tonight.

thanks.
Do what I did...just give up and download all the s**t you used to listen to.

LONG LIVE GUNS AND ROSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well for music................. I'd suggest changing your radio listening habbits in the car to see what you like, if your into Rock, and want to keep with-in that area I'd suggest changing from stations like Q107.1 FM to stations like 102.1FM The Edge ( ie. Toronto area stations).

Another good option would be to checkout different radio sites in your area, I can say for sure I'm in the loop when it comes to music, since I dated a DJ for a while, you can listen live to their web casts to get a feel as to what is in at the moment.

here's a listing of different websites that are playing current hits, and new music.

Z103.5 FM - Currently the #1 hit music station in Toronto but it's mostly dance, hip hop, R&B, Rock, and all in between.

102.1 The Edge FM - mainly Rock but it's current in the rock dept.

104.5 Chum Fm - Plays everything in between, current hits, Dance, and the Chum Chart can be seen on Citytv durring the weekends.

Mix 99.9 FM - Same as 104.5 but more rock, better news blerts.

KISS 98.5 FM Buffalo - It's like 103.5 but plays a bit more 90's music, more repeats of favorites music, but less Canadian Content because it's an american station.

then there is always this one for current music.

Much Music

and

Much More Music
Anthony..depends on what you like...off the top of my head..

'The Killers' made a really solid album...

If you like Reggae...sean paul's 'trinity' is good

Velvet Revolver is decent if you like g&r and stone temple pilots

'system of a down' is sik!! Mesmerize is out..Hypnotize is coming soon....if you like hard rock but with a political-take a stand kinda vibe...get it!

..or do like papa said and give up and download all the old skool music you enjoy...
90% of new music is trashika
The new System of a Down is VERY good... if you're into that kind of music anyways.

The Killers.. it's a great album that i'd even let my mom listen to. Style harkens back to the day of 80's pop rock, and while the lyrics aren't always happy, the songs do pick me up.

The new weezer is an ok background CD.. 30 minutes, put it away... not as much staying power as their older albums.

Unfortunately, the hot stuff seems to be more in the rap section these days.. black eyed peas, Kanye (what an ass btw)..

new velvet revolver is pretty good tho... new foo fighters is a huge disappointement... not sure about the new our lady peace either (don't like the shift to vocal-centric music from instrumental-centric music.. like the kids are running out of easy chords to play).

If billy talent hasn't been around so long, I'd say give them a listen, but oldschool Gob is alright.

new rock hasn't been too exciting lately... new transplants (punk) isn't too shabby, some interesting rockin' beats, and The Crystal Method released Community Service 2 (remix), which I don't mind bobbing my head to.

darkpuppet,Sep 9 2005, 12:09 PM Wrote:The new System of a Down is VERY good... if you're into that kind of music anyways.

The Killers.. it's a great album that i'd even let my mom listen to.  Style harkens back to the day of 80's pop rock, and while the lyrics aren't always happy, the songs do pick me up.

The new weezer is an ok background CD.. 30 minutes, put it away... not as much staying power as their older albums.

Unfortunately, the hot stuff seems to be more in the rap section these days.. black eyed peas, Kanye (what an ass btw)..

new velvet revolver is pretty good tho... new foo fighters is a huge disappointement... not sure about the new our lady peace either (don't like the shift to vocal-centric music from instrumental-centric music.. like the kids are running out of easy chords to play).

If billy talent hasn't been around so long, I'd say give them a listen, but oldschool Gob is alright.

new rock hasn't been too exciting lately... new transplants (punk) isn't too shabby, some interesting rockin' beats, and The Crystal Method released Community Service 2 (remix), which I don't mind bobbing my head to.
[right][snapback]140494[/snapback][/right]

Thanks guys.

Our Lady Peace's last album (gravity) was awesome. The new one sucks.
I'm already huge into the Velvet Revolver.
I'm going to have to try the Killers. I've heard good things about them.
System of a Down is just too heavy. I mean maybe sometimes.
I just downloaded Kula Shaker as well. It sounds alright! It sounds a lot like the Charletans.

I used to be up to date like no ones' buisiness, buit since the Rolling Stone Magazine subscription finished...I've been out of tune.
I used to know what "it" was. Now what's "it" is weird and scary...It'll happen to you...

Music has gone so far down hill in last 5 years it's not even funny anymore. I guess no body knows how to write their own music these days. I've foresaken the radio because of all the crap and yapping and only listen to the stuff I know and love, but then I run into the same problem as others here.
I think I'm my own worst enemy. You looking at guy who listens to led zeppelin, stones, steely dan, dylan etc... on a constant basis.

How do you find something to top that stuff??? :blink:
If you like "rant rap", and I know I do... Dead Celebrity Status. Not for listening with wee ears around, tho. Check out "In This Day and Age" and "We Fall, We Fall".

Eminem appears to have hung up the gloves, but his latest stuff just might be his most brilliant work. Mosh, Just Lose It, and Big Weenie are great tracks.

Do you listen to Disturbed? Great stuff, especially from their latest album. Check out Believe, Mistress, and Prayer. I have both albums (mainstream releases), so I can hook you up for both if wanted.

I want to like The Trews' latest (second) offering, but I can't. It's just too generic.

What about OLP's latest offering? Whoops, someone just said it licked balls.

I find myself quite drawn to Luda lately... the bass rattles my brain and mirrors oh so nicely.

What about Sevendust? Enemy and a few others are INSANE driving tunes... I find myself in breach of local regs everytime Enemy comes on. :P
Eddie Money
Devistatin' Dave.....

Check out

Hot hot heat, Sparta, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club,

Rap:

T.I Isnt bad, 50cent's newest album is allright too, both cds are awesome for bass.
ANTHONYD,Sep 9 2005, 11:38 AM Wrote:I think I'm my own worst enemy. You looking at guy who listens to led zeppelin, stones, steely dan, dylan etc... on a constant basis.

How do you find something to top that stuff??? :blink:
[right][snapback]140504[/snapback][/right]

You don't, you can't.
:headbang:
I love the new OLP, guess to each his own.

Its been out for a year now, but Green Days last CD is still one of my favs, Thornley is pretty good, lil more mellow than some of the rock that has been mentioned above.
you gotta know when to hold them-Kenny

nothing tops good zepplin shh what am I saying *looks around* all zepplin is good
Talib Queli is good, Kanye is good but hes too overhyped rite now... Camron and the Diplomats.. Nas, New stuff from P.Diddy's Label, who now renectly switched labels to Warner, go figure. Lil Jon for beat producing, hes EVERYWHERE.. The Neptunes/N.E.R.D will be big in 2006, but may go by another name, perhaps they will use BBC. Common is doing really well rite now too.