FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Opinions... Teachers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Heres a question, brought up by something my brother said the other day after he got home....

Do you guys believe that grade school teachers should be allowed to smoke in visible areas to students, let alone smoke at all?

I brought my brother to school the other day and his teacher REAKS of cigarettes, not only that, but she rushes out to go smoke a couple each and every break. I personally think this is not the image a teacher should portray at all ....

What do you all think?
I agree completely. Teachers get away too easily with this kinda stuff.. let them sit in their car in the staff lot or somewhere not just out in the open... or consult a doctor about quitting
I think kids are damn stressfull and she deserve ehr pack a day. i bet she gets loaded with gin at night too...

get her number for andrew if she's Hawt... :lol:
lol

hmmm,
she should be able to smoke, just not in open view of the students!

I'll have to get Jenn to post tonight.

TEACHERS SHOLD NEVER DO THESE THINGS IN SIGHT OF STUDENTS!!!!!

Teachers spend a good part of their year promoting NON-SMOKING. Smoking kills, smoking turns your teeth yellow, smoking breaks down your lungs yadda yadda yadda....

Totally unacceptable.

Phone the schoolboard.
french_connection,Sep 9 2005, 07:32 AM Wrote:I think kids are damn stressfull and she deserve ehr pack a day. i bet she gets loaded with gin at night too...
[right][snapback]140432[/snapback][/right]

For high school, totally agreeing with you Marc. The s**t we did to our teachers when I was in grades 10-12 :o

And I considered myself a pretty good kid, there were worse. :ph34r:

Grade school teachers. No, not at all.
It's her Right to smoke if she wants too, I mean yeah she could be under stress and such, but she dose have rights too. So as long as the teacher is going to the area where she is allowed to smoke, and following the rules set up by the school and such, there is nothing you can do, it is Her Right to smoke if she / he choose too.
Frost__2001,Sep 9 2005, 09:22 AM Wrote:It's her Right to smoke if she wants too, I mean yeah she could be under stress and such, but she dose have rights too. So as long as the teacher is going to the area where she is allowed to smoke, and following the rules set up by the school and such, there is nothing you can do, it is Her Right to smoke if she / he choose too.
[right][snapback]140451[/snapback][/right]

Agreed....
Frost__2001,Sep 9 2005, 09:22 AM Wrote:It's her Right to smoke if she wants too, I mean yeah she could be under stress and such, but she dose have rights too. So as long as the teacher is going to the area where she is allowed to smoke, and following the rules set up by the school and such, there is nothing you can do, it is Her Right to smoke if she / he choose too.

Not worried about the influence this might have on your child????
I can understand what you are saying....is it right probably not.

But does she have the right....why the hell not. Why must they play by another set of rules. I have seen priests, cops, mayors, fireman and nuns smoke.

Why can't teachers?
Here in Edmonton, I teach at an elementary school and smoking is not allowed on any school property what so ever in the school district! We do have a smoking bylaw in Edmonton, no smoking in any pulic place which includes resturants, bars, nightclubs and bingo's etc! ;)
Sounds like the "do as I say, not as I do" approach.. must work really well, like parents telling their kids not to do drugs, but going off to smoke a bowl.

I think there's a certain amount of reponsibility people accept when they choose a career involving kids. If it's stressful, deal with it outside of kids' prying eyes. Once again, teaching kids that they should turn to harmful substances to deal with their stress isn't exactly being a good role model.

And "personal rights" of the smoker doesn't mean they have the right to impose their bad habit on other people. I can't tell you how annoyed I get nowadays when buddy's wife runs off for a smoke, and comes back to the dinner table reeking like a dirty ashtray. Not to mention how the whole world is their ashtray, as I look around the 'flower gardens' around most TTC stations are just blankets of butts. I'm seriously tempted to follow a smoker home one day with a bucket of butts and drop it on their front lawn...

maybe we should move wing night to the schoolyard across the street from me.. little kids everywhere should know that beer is fun!
darkpuppet,Sep 9 2005, 11:43 AM Wrote:Sounds like the "do as I say, not as I do" approach.. must work really well, like parents telling their kids not to do drugs, but going off to smoke a bowl.

I think there's a certain amount of reponsibility people accept when they choose a career involving kids.  If it's stressful, deal with it outside of kids' prying eyes.  Once again, teaching kids that they should turn to harmful substances to deal with their stress isn't exactly being a good role model.

And "personal rights" of the smoker doesn't mean they have the right to impose their bad habit on other people.  I can't tell you how annoyed I get nowadays when buddy's wife runs off for a smoke, and comes back to the dinner table reeking like a dirty ashtray.  Not to mention how the whole world is their ashtray, as I look around the 'flower gardens' around most TTC stations are just blankets of butts.  I'm seriously tempted to follow a smoker home one day with a bucket of butts and drop it on their front lawn...

maybe we should move wing night to the schoolyard across the street from me.. little kids everywhere should know that beer is fun!
[right][snapback]140485[/snapback][/right]

This is the thing.

Do you know how many times I've told Jenn to stop mainlineing her cristal meth under the monkey bars??? You have no Idea.

Teachers are rolemodels. They often forget this. They're not all angels, (trust me) But they should be aware of their surrondings. Leave the buts for the car.... Have one on the way home.

Don't get me started with smokers... :rolleyes:

Except 2001 ZTS.....This guy is the most polite smoker I've ever incountered. Unreal, the measures this guy will go through in order to NOT cause anyone discomfort around him.

:lol:
^^---true

there are some smokers you'd never know smoked if it weren't for the occasional glimpse of a cigarrette in their hand.
Smoking is gay...

Not only are you promoting a bad habit, but homosexuality as well...
ANTHONYD,Sep 9 2005, 09:52 AM Wrote:

Not worried about the influence this might have on your child????
[right][snapback]140466[/snapback][/right]

I'm not worried about a smoker teaching my child or my sister's children, mainly because, thay are not doing it right in front of the children, yeah a kid might see them lighting up once and a while, but it's not like the teacher is going out of their way to blow smoke into their students faces.

Some ( teachers ) know it's wrong to smoke for health reasons, but reality is, if they go out of the way to smoke in private, in their car, or an area for smoking or what ever, they are complying with the laws, and not smoking in front of the students, so they are doing nothing wrong. If anything suggest to the teacher to invest in fabreeze, and mints after they take a smoke break.

FociPhil,Sep 9 2005, 02:21 PM Wrote:Smoking is gay...

Not only are you promoting a bad habit, but homosexuality as well...
[right][snapback]140535[/snapback][/right]

I could say this not only applies to smoking, but smoking pot too.

and promoting homosexuality is totally different now, :rolleyes: it's less in your face, minus the lesbians populations lol..... :lol:
I would agree, as well. Plus, there is a law that you cannot smoke within 30 feet of buildings.
SangriaRedZX5,Sep 10 2005, 06:36 PM Wrote:I would agree, as well. Plus, there is a law that you cannot smoke within 30 feet of buildings.
[right][snapback]140875[/snapback][/right]

Down here yah can't smoke on any government property, everyone must go off grounds to smoke. Can't smoke in any public place or building, so if yah smoke you got deca own3d
When I was at university (a while ago) they had ashtrays in the hallways. You could spark up on the subway platform well into the 80's.

Along the same vein I remember my dad telling me about how when he was a kid the shoe store would X-ray your feet each time you tried on a pair of shoes so they could "see" if they fit right.

A couple decades from now people will no doubt laugh at us for having cell phones because of the unknown health effects of holding a radio transmitter to your brain.
2001 ZTS,Sep 10 2005, 08:15 PM Wrote:When I was at university (a while ago) they had ashtrays in the hallways.  You could spark up on the subway platform well into the 80's.

Along the same vein I remember my dad telling me about how when he was a kid the shoe store would X-ray your feet each time you tried on a pair of shoes so they could "see" if they fit right.

A couple decades from now people will no doubt laugh at us for having cell phones because of the unknown health effects of holding a radio transmitter to your brain.
[right][snapback]140893[/snapback][/right]

They pridict brain cancers to increase 5000% within the next 50 years.

Unber college still has cigarette burns all over the floors outside the classrooms from student ouf yesteryear gbetting their last pull before going onto school.
Pages: 1 2