FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Thinking Of Retirement
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, eventually my 9 year olde Focus will need to be put out to pasture.
My question is, which series of North American Focus has a "softer ride" so my olde bones won't break when I'm rallying around Ontario in my spare time?
softer compared to what? lol id go for the newest model if you want a nice ride.
If you wanted the softest ride Focus and could afford to go new. The '09 Focus SEL has the most compliant suspension out of the entire model lineup.

Otherwise in the previous gen (05-07) you'd be angling for an SES model (which I had) The SES setup was competent, but definately was softer compared to the SVT setup I had in it later.

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Jun 9 2009, 12:08 PM Wrote:If you wanted the softest ride Focus and could afford to go new.  The '09 Focus SEL has the most compliant suspension out of the entire model lineup.

Otherwise in the previous gen (05-07) you'd be angling for an SES model (which I had) The SES setup was competent, but definately was softer compared to the SVT setup I had in it later.

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]289180[/snapback][/right]
Any sedan would probably give you the most compliant ride but especially if it had the higher-profile 15" rims vs. 16's.
I find my 08 to have a fairly soft suspension compared to previous years.
At first it was nice but now it seems so borring.
The differance in trim levels in 08-09 models is just swaybar thickness,
s,se 18mm front no rear bar.
ses,sel 22mm front and 20mm rear.
Just so you know if you add abs and traction control to a se its cheaper to get the SES.

Ken is on the mark when he said 15 rims will be softer compared to 16rims

02ztsian

Nothing says old man faster than a Taurus (SHO versions excluded). My dad loves them and he's 69 this year.
Just get an SES and swap the springs for Eibach pro kit springs. They are really nice progressive springs and give a caddy ride with stock shocks.
would the stock shocks even last?
Spinal,Jun 9 2009, 05:52 PM Wrote:would the stock shocks even last?
[right][snapback]289194[/snapback][/right]
On the 07 wagon I had my stock shocks with Pro-Kit for almost 15,000 km and they showed no signs of giving up - I replaced them only because I wanted firmer damping than the stock ever provided.

Full disclosure: the wagon shock is "heavy duty" compared to the sedan or hatch.
Spinal,Jun 9 2009, 04:52 PM Wrote:would the stock shocks even last?
[right][snapback]289194[/snapback][/right]
Over 5 years with Eibach ProKit and stock shocks. So far so good.

But this setup is more bone jarring than stock with less suspension travel. Try S2 setup, seem to have an even higher suspension travel than stock (although they claim to be 'european tuned' they appear to be 'american tuned')

edit: woohoo 1000 posts!