FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Cold Air Trick
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here's something I'm going to try on my Focus that I picked up from a forum on pickup trucks: remove the rubber seal at the back of the hood.

It allows a small space for hot air to escape from the engine bay, which should be particularly good for those running cone filters off the MAF.

On my Focus, the seal will have to be cut off from the plastic mount that goes around the windshield wipers. Big deal. There is still a little lip that will help to channel water away from the engine bay, but if a some water runs in and down the firewall I can't see it being a problem.

I'll update once I actually do it.

Does that seal serve any other purpose other than to keep hot air in. might it be to keep water out?
It's a Focus, a North American Focus to boot. There are bigger problems to worry about than vents.

HINT: swap everything
I was running a cone filter on the MAF of my SVTF with the JRSC and when I had the computer hooked up I checked the intake air temp. When you are moving at more than an idle the air temp drops to almost ambient. There are plenty of places for hot air to get out from under the hood. Only when your stopped does the temp rise. Cutting the rear seal will allow some rain to run down the firewall and potentially ruin the insulation and get even more water on the passenger side floor..
MAlby7,Sep 8 2005, 03:12 AM Wrote:Does that seal serve any other purpose other than to keep hot air in.  might it be to keep water out?
[right][snapback]139978[/snapback][/right]

Sure it's there to keep water out. The engine bay gets soaked when it rains anyway, and all the components are sealed, so allowing a little more hot air out might be a good thing. I'll have to look into what sits behind the insulation though.
bluetoy,Sep 8 2005, 10:32 AM Wrote:I was running a cone filter on the MAF of my SVTF with the JRSC and when I had the computer hooked up I checked the intake air temp. When you are moving at more than an idle the air temp drops to almost ambient. There are plenty of places for hot air to get out from under the hood. Only when your stopped does the temp rise. Cutting the rear seal will allow some rain to run down the firewall and potentially ruin the insulation and get even more water on the passenger side floor..
[right][snapback]140064[/snapback][/right]

Hmmm, that's interesting. I'll have to measure the air temp on mine.

You get water on the passenger side floor? I don't. I'll be checking into the insulation though.
Have you ever looked at whats mounted to the firewall??? :blink:
Not sure if I would want to promote any sort of DIRECT moisture hitting that stuff.

Plus in the winter :blink: You'll have a nice little ice dam forming there from when you brush the car off.

Let us know how much this costs you in repairs.
My focus leaks on the passenger side floor too does anyone have a fix for this?
bluetoy,Sep 8 2005, 06:32 AM Wrote:I was running a cone filter on the MAF of my SVTF with the JRSC and when I had the computer hooked up I checked the intake air temp. When you are moving at more than an idle the air temp drops to almost ambient. There are plenty of places for hot air to get out from under the hood. Only when your stopped does the temp rise. [right][snapback]140064[/snapback][/right]

Hmmm interesting, so all these short ram intakes being sold with heat sheilds claiming 50% reduction in air intake temp, are only really effective at idle? Pfffft, damn aftermarket ripoffs...
This have been debate to dead in the old jet site(00-02), and everyone come to a conclusion of not to do it.
Focus Is Art,Sep 8 2005, 09:45 PM Wrote:This have been debate to dead in the old jet site(00-02), and everyone come to a conclusion of not to do it.
[right][snapback]140292[/snapback][/right]

It's good I found this out sooner than later. What was the reason? Does the firewall disintegrate?
hows that volant I sold you?
D-Dub,Sep 9 2005, 01: Wrote:hows that volant I sold you?
[right][snapback]140374[/snapback][/right]

You know, I haven't had a chance to install it yet. Hopefully this weekend. Your comments about being "boggy" when it's hot outside were the impetus for the "cold air trick" I was going to try, but from the above it looks like that isn't a particularly good idea. I'll let you know how it goes. Cheers.