FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Importing Tdi Focus Engine?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

with the price of gas and such, how would one go about importing a front clip of a TDI uk focus.

that could be really sweet and im sure we could sell a few.

needed, engine, ECU and fuel related parts, would the exaust need change much?

any good info on those engines?
seems like its a 1.8 and that the review I saw say it drives really well and its quiet powerfull from the company at 115hp
french_connection,Sep 5 2005, 04:24 PM Wrote:seems like its a 1.8 and that the review I saw say it drives really well and its quiet powerfull from the company at 115hp
[right][snapback]139096[/snapback][/right]

It's good to see that I'm not the only one thinking about this. I would also consider the 1.6 Zetec.
french_connection,Sep 5 2005, 04:24 PM Wrote:seems like its a 1.8 and that the review I saw say it drives really well and its quiet powerfull from the company at 115hp
[right][snapback]139096[/snapback][/right]
Even if you manage to import all the parts you need, you'll still be SOL because diesel in NA isn't clean enough for the Euro spec engines (too much sulphur) and you'd likely fail the emmision requirements for your vehicle, which are based on your stock engine #s.
doesn't mexico or any country in south america have the TDCi engine in the focus.

from what i know is that they have pretty good torque.
My boss from work went to Mexico ( think it was mexico) and snapped a picture of a TDI focus.
As for the fuel Sparky is right. Diesel and regular gas in North America yet complain to the new regulations in terms of sulphur and the like.

If I'm not mistaken they'll be in use in 2006.
If you spend $5000 on the motor swap, which trust me, it would be much more, that is worth 25,000L of gas. :o Hmmm, I don't think it's worth it at all.

Diesel right now is 20 cents a liter less expensive then regular.
The amount of money you'd spend wasting your time doing that, would NEVER return in gas money saved.

Waste of time.
Gas - Yes Diesel is dirty compaird to European spec. but certen gas stations are now offering cleaner Diesel Blends, more or less it's the low grade of the European versions. Down side to gas stations that offer the " Super " diesel is you really have to go looking for them.

TDCI / TDDI - as for a motor swap you can do it if you want too, the laws change when you change over your car's fueling requirements. So emmision requirements change for this type of mod, and you'd have to do many changes related to the class of your car, ie. like telling the government that your car is a 4 cyl diesel not gas.

Side Note : If you have the money to really try this, I say go for it. I mean most of the nay saiers on here are telling you no, no, no, but I bet those same people that put a SHO engine into a focus, or a V6 into a focus haid their share of nay saiers too. untill they proved them wrong.
you would need more than the front clip
you'd also need the tank, pump, fuel lines and all the little bits inbetween.

it would be a cool swap but like stated above, you are looking at probably 5-10+years to pay off the swap in the savings from the difference in fuel prices. it would probably be more worth it to fly down to mexico, buy a TDDi focus, bring it up and try and register and insure it up here! if you pull the engine and tranny you can bring them across the border on seperate transport and re-install them and insure the car as a "KIT" car.
going with a used motor is probably not a great idea, who knows it's condition and good luck finding parts for a Ford 1.8L tddi engine over here!