FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Does Size Matter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, I've been doing some work outside, when a Toyota Echo went by. I know that small cars are supposed to become more popular than they are now. I want to know, what will be more appealing,

How attarctive the exterior is?
How attractive the interior is?
How it drives?
How much it costs?
How economical it will be?
How big the Horsepower numbers are?
when i drove a yaris while my fofo was in the shop it was the biggest POS ever to put it simply. it had no torque, the interior took cheap to a whole new level and the gas mileage compared to my car was maybe 1-1.5mpg better. and it rode like it was on steel wheels.

i think a little bit of all those factors are important to consider, if its gonna be strictly an economy car to get from point a -> b then the rest doesn't matter just how much the $ is at the end + mileage.
Honestly, if I was forced into a small car again, my first concern would be "How safe is it?" followed by "Can it get out of its own way if I turn on the A/C?"

After dealing with months of extra rehab after the Focus crash, I swore never again and if it means I'm paying higher taxes to operate a larger car, so be it <_<

NefCanuck
I don't know about all those things about it but I do know that car gives a strong gay factor.
Yes, yes it does.

You've been lied to.
Spinal,Jun 5 2009, 02:25 PM Wrote:when i drove a yaris while my fofo was in the shop it was the biggest POS ever to put it simply. it had no torque, the interior took cheap to a whole new level and the gas mileage compared to my car was maybe 1-1.5mpg better. and it rode like it was on steel wheels.

i think a little bit of all those factors are important to consider, if its gonna be strictly an economy car to get from point a -> b then the rest doesn't matter just how much the $ is at the end + mileage.
[right][snapback]288959[/snapback][/right]

My gf has an Echo ... it like it. We often take it when we're going to places a few hours away (wouldn't want to have to pack it for a long trip though, haha). It consistently gets around 5.5L/100kms on the highway, my fofo can only put down ~6.7L/100kms at the best of times.

I was considering a Yaris before I picked up the fofo ... little too ugly though, I liked the Echo but the Yaris doesn't really do it for me.

-George
How attarctive the exterior is? yes
How attractive the interior is? yes
How it drives? yes
How much it costs? sort of
How economical it will be? definatly
How big the Horsepower numbers are? As long as i can drive on the highway and keep up with traffic i'm good with that.

Hence why i choose TDI.
I say TDI too . We don't have yet in NA very small cars we can bragg about being good looking , very economical and safe . I should have put safe first maybe . If they would let Renault in here , maybe ... it has they highest crash test rating acording to the EURONCAP . Check this one out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBDyeWofcLY There goes the big car safety myth ...
I like Toyota Echo RS , I think it's cute .
i think I would get an Echo/Yaris.. if I was a single guy trying to be uber cheap... However, I think I would have to pimp it out with SOME enhancements.. Its pretty ugly in its stock form..

With a family, I just dont feel that it would do a good job protecting everyone.
StreetEdition,Jun 8 2009, 02:02 AM Wrote:i think I would get an Echo/Yaris.. if I was a single guy trying to be uber cheap... However, I think I would have to pimp it out with SOME enhancements.. Its pretty ugly in its stock form..

With a family, I just dont feel that it would do a good job protecting everyone.
[right][snapback]289042[/snapback][/right]

I got my Focus fully loaded cheaper then I could get a base yaris at the time I was looking. :)

(Toyota had outrageos financing terms at that time)
I'm not getting into a specific car here. I just want to know what would be the most appealing criteria in purchasing a small car, 'cause so far, all the really small cars are about as ugly as ( put someone's name here ). Personally the only Toyata I would own, would be one given to me, and it would have to be a Supra, or maybe a Celica.
Gabriel,Jun 7 2009, 01:09 PM Wrote:I think it's cute .
[right][snapback]289029[/snapback][/right]

there's the problem.
the thing is, when you're looking at a car, you have to take into consideration who's holding the wallet, or who's holding the balls tucked into the jeans holding the wallet.

with over 80% of car purchases influenced by the fairer sex, most things like, "safety", "practicality" come ahead of looks. So if a car gives the impression of safety and practicality, it'll be high on the list.

And when it comes to feeling safe and practical, the bigger, the better is usually the case...

I know a few single women who've bought cars that
- don't show dirt too much
- have room for baby seats
- has good visibility
- looks crash worthy

and at the bottom of the wish list is
- looks cute

It's great on gas in the city, just don't try to put more than a couple of grocery bags into it. You're screwed. I had one a couple of years ago as a rental. I hadn't considered kicking myself in the ass to make it move faster since I got that one Chevy Aveo as a rental a few years ago in Reno, NV.
So, basically, guys don't buy small cars......'cause they're cute?

02ztsian

No-guys don't buy cute small cars.
Ford Focus is cute enough for me.

You need something agressive......something like Evo X
Flofocus,Jun 8 2009, 01:55 PM Wrote:
Gabriel,Jun 7 2009, 01:09 PM Wrote:I think it's cute .
[right][snapback]289029[/snapback][/right]

there's the problem.
[right][snapback]289085[/snapback][/right]
Didn't mean to sound "strange" , but I said cute as in not too bad looking for a very small car . A Ferrari couldn't be "cute"
StreetEdition,Jun 8 2009, 02:02 AM Wrote:i think I would get an Echo/Yaris.. if I was a single guy trying to be uber cheap... However, I think I would have to pimp it out with SOME enhancements.. Its pretty ugly in its stock form..

[right][snapback]289042[/snapback][/right]
That's exactly why I mentioned the RS model . Otherwise , regarding the exterior design I am not a Toyota fan at all . I rather like Honda .