FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: To Street Race Or Not?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

To Street race or not?

that is the question.

(there is many form of it, lets discuss our vision on it)

((please, hold yourself from refering to personal experience and blowing up your heads))

I'll start:

I think some form of SR* (street Racing) are to the limit ok. For example when there isnt any trafic around and you are outside of a city.

I dont mind so much people who go race on a stretch of desert road, I think its part of the scene, but I always appreciate when people are responsible and do not endangered others but themselves.

I think its plain stupid to be racing across lights and in town when trafic is involved.

there is so much I could say/tell, but I wanna see what you guys have to say about it.

-Marc
I think the definition of street racing is fuktarded. By all rights, most people consider it either drag racing from a light or doing the three honks thing on the hwy. If you define street racing the way my friends and I do, trying to race to a specific location while not violating the speed limit (like in that bridgestone commercial where the two guys are racing for "betty") and starting from different but equally distant points, that's cool... but just all out who can go faster, who can get from point a to point b the fastest as a result of lots of tq and HP.. that's just silly.. no reason for it, even tho most of us are guilty of it.
Nice to see you trying your hand at posting again Marc. It's been a while. Racing. Not in my truck. And I don't attempt it in the Focus because it's not mine. So in my youth I raced in the stupidest places. But we are all adrenilin junkies to some degree.
But now, take it too the track or way out in the country where if you wreck, it's between you and the cows.
What is a street race anyway? Everyone talks about it, but i've NEVER seen a race with burning rubber before...and im from york region which from what i hear is THE place for street racing...what the hell??

I mean, if some guy in his craprolla or shitvic stops beside me at a light with his radio blasting and looks at me like he is all of that, ofcourse when the light turns green i'd start quickly but never to the point tires spin...even if i do, i never go beyond 120km/h...neither does the other guy even if its a TL or prelude. Is that street racing? if it is...lol ok...it happens a lot....

What about the times when a idiot is tailgating you when there is another car in front of you? I'd shift down a gear just to slow the car without using the brake lights...by this time, im usually at like 3000rpm where if i put it down, it just goes...and when the bastard tries to over take me on the slow lane, i'd just put it down...never passing 100km/h since theres traffic in front...is that street racing too?? lol cause i do that a lot too...

But if you all are talking about the fast and furious kind of street racing with money and 300km/h thing going on...i've never seen it happening here. I see lots of modded cars that could probably hit 300km/h...but never seen them do it on the streets and i've been in york region for over 10 years
When I was 18 I raced a '79 Corvette in my '80 Z/28 right down Lakeshore Rd. in Oakville in front of the old McDonalds. Hundreds of people watching and the guy in the Vette lost it and drove up onto the sidewalk, squeezed between the wall and a thick telephone poll, lost his front left wheel, kept going and the car finally stopped next to a fire hydrant. As I passed his stopped car, he still had the gas to the floor. Fibreglass was everywhere and his wheel continued for another block. Lucky there were no people on that sidewalk.
That was basically the last time I 'raced' someone in town.
I'm against Street Racing... .I think its stupid first of all, Secondly, You never know the "other driver's" driving habbits, is he a skilled driver or not? most are fuking assholes and cant drive for shits and are the ones who get into accidents. Thirdly, if u even attempt to street race, the cops will fuke-yuu over if they catch you, ie: impound your car for good, take your licence away etc.. not to mention if the other driver gets killed, even worse will happen to you.. I know a few people, trust me, its ugly. Just say no.
I played with a G35 last night.....
^^---hmmmm... g35.

Street racing in my opinion is anytime you're 'competing' against another car with little regard of others around you.

organized street racing, and street racing itself tend to lead to careless driving and s**t, so I don't condone it.. and people that take it to speed are just freakin' stupid. But have I taken on the occasional audi or bimmer from a light to the speed limit? I'm just as guilty as anyone else I guess.

p.s. meford doesn't race his kid's car because there's always an expansion joint or pebble on the road he has to slow for. :P
Here's the problem: everyone who street-raced back when muscle cars were EVERY car is now approaching retirement. They've lost the love for cars, and cars going fast. In the 50s-60s-70s, street racing was quite commonplace in the middle of the day.

Ironically, it was easier to get your license back then, but only more skilled drivers drove fast for the most part. The world had their grannies behind the wheel, but mostly the powerful cars were driven by those who could control them at speed.

These days, everyone seems to be born with a silver spoon (or distributor cap) in their mouth. Mommy and Daddy buy them their first car - usually a crapvic or something else small and imported - and they rice it out until our eyes bleed. Then, they do something worse - they "street race" with it.

Street racing is best performed in a near-deserted location in the middle of the day OR night, with a bare minimum of spectators located BEHIND the starting line. The drivers should come to an understanding as to where the race ends, and stay as far apart from each other as the "raceway" allows.

Street racing that occurs on the highway by accident is normally not as enjoyable as there's normally a pile of cars around. This type of racing that occurs on a DESERTED highway at like 4-5AM gets my thumbs up.

MORONS who stoplight drag in the middle of the day in a residential or commercial / downtown area need to get taken out behind their cars and beaten with their exhaust pipe. The same for those jerks who "race" down the highway and cut off many other vehicles who often have no idea whatsoever about what's going on around them at the best of times.

How does one eliminate street racing? For starters, by having parents actually pay attention to what their obviously underexperienced kids are doing with the rice burning POS they bought them so they can "drive to school" and be cool like all the rest. When junior's ride dislodges your good china and causes Grandpa's pacemaker to beat out something to make Snoop proud, you need to have a little chat with them.

What's the next step? I can't reiterate this enough: AFFORDABLE, PLENTIFUL, POLICE-ENDORSED track access. It's working in the states, especially Cali. There are HUNDREDS of former street racers cleaning up in 1/8th mile and 1/4 mile bracket racing, mostly the former of the two. There are high school teams created just for this purpose. Also, the cops have been known to make race cars and come out to make it REALLY enticing to win - who doesn't want to outrun a cop car? :)

Right now, especially in Ontario, we have a serious deficiency in the parents skills of a LOT of families, and we have a serious lack of available track time to the general public. This goes double if you're north of Barrie.

Want people to stop racing? Build more tracks, make the insurance that seems to be killing these tracks more affordable, and make the events sanctioned and SUPPORTED by not only a known racing body but also local authorities and local businesses. AND, parents need to start actively having a hand in the lives of their kids. When some punk street races in a "known" location and mows down a whack of spectators, I blame both the racer AND the spectator. The racer for being dumb enough to race at a venue just to get "mad props" from everyone attending, and those attending for being dumb enough to stand in front of Junior who obviously just got his G2 and doesn't know how to handle the 75-shot of NOS that was just bolted under his hood a week ago.

I'm done.
edit
Flofocus,Sep 1 2005, 08:43 AM Wrote:Stopped into a gas station...

"How much boost you running?"  :lol:
[right][snapback]138089[/snapback][/right]

:D
From personal experinece street racing is uber stupid. I had a friend die street racing, and another friend kill a guy 3 days before x-mas, who had a wife and kid on the way.

Like everyone else said residential areas or even moderatly populated areas are super stoopid to race near. And racing in excess of the speed limit is dumb.

Ill admit that with a FRIEND (not some dude bro gino i dont know) we might go at in the first few gears until like 80km/hr. Or in the middle of nowheres-ville, where you can only risk your life and the other idiot who wants to race...fine with me.

Racing is ok as long as you dont come close to endagering someone not involved. If you want to risk your life go ahead, its your call, but risk others.
I consider everything we're talking about here street racing... period. Besides, the track is soooooo much more fun. You always know where the guy beside or in front is heading... the next turn is the only turn ;)

I play around very little (ask Marc, he calls me slow lol but i just don't like to play much), but keep the speeds down... maybe run through a gear or two. But shiat... I can't do that with third or higher... I'm shifting out of 3rd into 4th at 150km/h and that's just too fast... so maybe a blast through second at most.

The fact is, regardless of how safe you think you're being, it's still a game of "what if"... accidents are called accidents for a reason... what if you blew a tire, what if the other guy lost control, what if what if what if. The risk is self-evident.
What if a deer runs out infront of you? or worse a kid? That what keeps my speed down the most, im always afraid of deers jumping out infront of me, you could almost call me paranoid of them
One way to stop street racing...

http://kcbs.dayport.com/viewer/viewerpage....&Category_ID=71

That totally sucks though...
Sorry but street racing in residential neighbourhoods at any time of the day should get you shot, drawn & quartered.

Too many things can go wrong, too many variables that no one knows.

Will that parked car start moving, will that child's ball roll out into the street and will the kid try to get it without looking? Just to name two of the big ones.

Even on the highway, I've seen people racing down the 400 at 140+km/h like they were on fire, weaving between cars, no signals. I'm sorry, idiocy like that gets you scrubbed outta the gene pool :ph34r:

Build the tracks and people will use them, better an investment like that versus the stupidity of the "street race"

NefCanuck
darkpuppet,Sep 1 2005, 08:26 AM Wrote:p.s.  meford doesn't race his kid's car because there's always an expansion joint or pebble on the road he has to slow for. :P
[right][snapback]138087[/snapback][/right]

And to think I told those cougars you weren't an asshole. I was Wrong.

Your just too faxkin funny for the King of KarnivalWheels
I'm in agreement with street racing being stupid, and I can say I have been stupid and tought a few ricers, and others a good lesson or two in the focus and a few other cars I had, including a topaz.

I will admit I'm getting in the habbit of when someone rev's the piss out of their engine I tend to ignore it at first, but if they are persistant and I know the area I'll race them till I hit the posted limit, and let the cops down the road get them. So far I have done this tatic more then 30 or so times and each time in Brampton, the guy or girl wanting to race got nailed by the cops, and I leasurely drive past the fools at the limit.

I know peel region is really cracking down on street racing, and I know there is new bilaws in effect for this alone since 2002.
I think its perfectly fine in some no where land farm road or some deserted area that has no people in it. Personally I dont think theres a problem at all since, if they crash and kill only themselves... thats fine.. since they knew the risk when racing.

I dont like light to light, public roads, anything during the day in visable areas, etc etc....

And can we stop calling other cars by weird names? Geeze, I have friends with civics that are faster then any focus in the world... and at any given "streetrace" here in toronto at the popular meetups, you will find atleast 5-6 civics that are faster then most if not all things on this board. People who do that, grow up...
tdot-zx3,Sep 1 2005, 09: Wrote:I think its perfectly fine in some no where land farm road or some deserted area that has no people in it. Personally I dont think theres a problem at all since, if they crash and kill only themselves... thats fine.. since they knew the risk when racing.

I dont like light to light, public roads, anything during the day in visable areas, etc etc....

And can we stop calling other cars by weird names? Geeze, I have friends with civics that are faster then any focus in the world... and at any given "streetrace" here in toronto at the popular meetups, you will find atleast 5-6 civics that are faster then most if not all things on this board. People who do that, grow up...
[right][snapback]138325[/snapback][/right]
yes but even if they kill themselves, there freaking wasting our tax money cause the cops, the fire dept. and ambulance have to show up, usually property gets broken be it private, like a farm fence or public like a guardrail or telephone pole get snapped in half. That raises insurance premiums for the demographic(that why im screwed other retards my age tend to get into a lot of accidents[apparently]). Then if they die, the couroner has to show up and all this other s**t happens, and family and friends lose somebody, its just not worth it.

Esspecially at night!, cause you just never know what out of reach of your head lights, what if there are kids walking along the side of the road. I almost hit retards who were walking along the side of the road in the remotest location you would find. Or a tree that has fallen, or a deer.
While on the QEW i was in the right lane and in the middle lane there was a deer, i didn't see it untill it was right beside the truck about a foot away from the side. I could look in its eyes, it knew no fear! :ph34r:
When something happens in a street race, its not the guy who gets kill that loses, it everyone that loses, i wonder if anybody is going to read this cause its long <_< ;)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5