FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: New Orleans Louisiana To Be Evacuated.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I heard it stated over the news on CTV that the Louisiana government has told everyone to leave the city of New Orleans with all the chaos going there, the flooding and the possible dangers with-in the waters that's now waste deep, almost all over the city.

I was in New Orleans last october, and I have several wonderful picture of the french quarter, and after seeing whats left of the area on the news makes me really shocked, and feeling sick to see water waste deep, with a few body floating in the water in the debris, and loss of many of the nearly 400 year old buildings in that area.

what makes matters worse in New Orleans is they don't know how long the city will take to dry out, and it might be up to 3 months before they have electricity restored to parts of they city.

BBC in America news report.

CTV report
Its so sad... I saw SOOOO many pictures of it today and people STILL want to stay there. I understand its their home, but wow... I would want to leave ASAP!
I'd feel the same way too about my home, but with snakes, and allegators in the water, not to mention other things that live on / off what might be in the swamp I'd leave too. I've heard / seen some stories about people seeing allegators around areas of the city.
Yeah, people on the jet were talking about this too. its going to be hard to get to all of them....

They cant boat there. because of the health hazzards. toxic water etc. not to mention the aligators, dead bodies. its a humanitarian crisis. who ever stays behind is going to get one of those third world diseases.

One of the guys on the jet is a rescue worker with the army. apparently within 5 hours they rescued 127 people (1 helicopter)
That city i think is a total loss now, pumps arn't runnin. It be months before the water is pumped out. :( Thier screwed big time there :(
Yeah this is going to be like 9-11, years to fully recover from it.

Its pretty much a a big disgusting pool of filth there...human waste and sewage, chemicals.

What pisses me off the most about it is the looting. I can understnad diapers and food and water, but when i see these people filling up carts with g-unit sneakers, jeans and MP3 players, they deserve to die, shoot them in the face!
Everyone needs thier overpriced reebok's (gunit) sneakers now :lol:

Yah people stealing tv's will do you alot of good with no electricity or cable :rolleyes:

Also the retards shootin at rescue helicopters, the military needs to go in there and take care of buisness. Or you blackhawk's to rescue people with a gunner using a .50 machine gun at the ready B) dam them
Watched the news on this for 1/2 hour last night. Absolutley horrible! They were talking about how they will tell police to stop the rescues and start cracking down on the looting and roving gangs. Bah, they should just put out a bulliten that looters will be shot on site. That would cut down on it a bit I would think...
SVT ZX3,Sep 1 2005, 05:07 PM Wrote:Watched the news on this for 1/2 hour last night. Absolutley horrible! They were talking about how they will tell police to stop the rescues and start cracking down on the looting and roving gangs. Bah, they should just put out a bulliten that looters will be shot on site. That would cut down on it a bit I would think...
[right][snapback]138161[/snapback][/right]

i agree completely

they have no respect for peoples lives, so why should the police/military...

shoot the greasy bastards
I agree on shooting on site for looting too,

But New Orleans has a population of 5 million people, and more than 1/2 the population are have not, then have, there are soo many housing projests for the poor in that city. I've seen them up close and I can tell you personally since I was there last Oct. Really though they have more housing projects then in any other major american city I've been to thus far to date.
FociPhil,Sep 1 2005, 10:38 AM Wrote:Its pretty much a a big disgusting pool of filth there...
[right][snapback]138118[/snapback][/right]
It was like that before but more fun than at present.
2001 ZTS,Sep 1 2005, 09:53 PM Wrote:
FociPhil,Sep 1 2005, 10:38 AM Wrote:Its pretty much a a big disgusting pool of filth there...
[right][snapback]138298[/snapback][/right]

Now there are groups of men going around and rapping woman :blink:
Kool_ZX3,Sep 1 2005, 08:11 PM Wrote:
2001 ZTS,Sep 1 2005, 09:53 PM Wrote:
[right][snapback]138298[/snapback][/right]

Now there are groups of men going around and rapping woman :blink:
[right][snapback]138300[/snapback][/right]

I thought Mardi Gras was in February?

As I say no different than it was before, it's a hard town with lots of really bad ass people once you get beyond the Garden District/Tulane area or outside of the Quarter or Riverwalk areas. If anyone thinks Toronto has problems they ain't seen nothing. What saddens me most is the architectural loss.

ya gotta wonder why they built that city there in the first place, under the sea level by 6 feet, ya know something like this is eventually going to happen, its like having a fire above a toxic waste dump or smoking while pumping gas, something is eventually going to happen.
crazikev,Sep 1 2005, 09:14 PM Wrote:ya gotta wonder why they built that city there in the first place, under the sea level by 6 feet, ya know something like this is eventually going to happen, its like having a fire above a toxic waste dump or smoking while pumping gas, something is eventually going to happen.
[right][snapback]138316[/snapback][/right]

It's not that they built it there in the first place it is because of the dikes they built. The city sinks a couple inches every decades because it is built on mud. The ground is so wet they have buried people above ground for centuries.

In a natural state the "flood plain" that N.O. was built on would remain above sea level but the dikes prevents "occaisional" flooding that stops sediment from being deposited and keeping it above the water level.

It's called a "self fulfilling prophecy". It is the "Titanic" of cities, taunted nature and payed.

George Bush has sunk to a new low I notice, he's definately below sea level now.

2001 ZTS,Sep 1 2005, 09:26 PM Wrote:
crazikev,Sep 1 2005, 09:14 PM Wrote:ya gotta wonder why they built that city there in the first place, under the sea level by 6 feet, ya know something like this is eventually going to happen, its like having a fire above a toxic waste dump or smoking while pumping gas, something is eventually going to happen.
[right][snapback]138316[/snapback][/right]

It's not that they built it there in the first place it is because of the dikes they built. The city sinks a couple inches every decades because it is built on mud. The ground is so wet they have buried people above ground for centuries.

In a natural state the "flood plain" that N.O. was built on would remain above sea level but the dikes prevents "occaisional" flooding that stops sediment from being deposited and keeping it above the water level.

It's called a "self fulfilling prophecy". It is the "Titanic" of cities, taunted nature and payed.

George Bush has sunk to a new low I notice, he's definately below sea level now.
[right][snapback]138320[/snapback][/right]
They built the city right in the middle of a swamp, it kinda reminds my of Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Where the guys talking about Swamp Castle, "I built the castle right in a swamp, then it sunk, then we built another castle, and that one sunk, then we built a third castle, it had a fire burn to the ground then sunk, but the 4th one it stands today" or something like that i forget the quote
Exactly.

The lesson is build a city in a swamp in a hurricane zone you better have a couple day worth of water and food.

Now..............

Who here, as people who live in a place were it can easily get so cold that one could die in minutes, could be without electricity for weeks (as in 1999 ice storm)?

I can.

Think about it, could you?

Your answer had better not be: "it's OK the government will set up a shelter". A shelter is the worse place for you (and your family if applicable): "Lets put all the weak and sick people together in one place". BAD IDEA as we have seen.

That will be the biggest lesson of all of this. It is so easy to be prepared and costs next to nothing.

Not the first time I've posted this link:

http://www.ocipep.gc.ca/info_pro/self_help_ad/fam_e.asp

The more people that absorb that sort of stuff the less rapes there will be at evac centres, people dying in the streets, looting of stores and basically dying out of stupidity and ignorance.

When the s**t goes down as it very well may at any time in any form from weather to terror you at the end of the day will be on your own for a long time.

^^ the thing about that though, is the poor people there can't afford to get ready for the storm, they are the ones that should be in the shelters, the people with cars should have been out of there, at least a day before the storm hit.

And as for the Ice Storm, and how it took so long to get the power back on, you can not blame the hydro workers for that. Many of them came from all over the country. My father was there. They were working 18 hour shifts the whole time they were there.
crazikev,Sep 1 2005, 10:06 PM Wrote:^^ the thing about that though, is the poor people there can't afford to get ready for the storm, they are the ones that should be in the shelters, the people with cars should have been out of there, at least a day before the storm hit.

And as for the Ice Storm, and how it took so long to get the power back on, you can not blame the hydro workers for that.  Many of them came from all over the country.  My father was there.  They were working 18 hour shifts the whole time they were there.
[right][snapback]138339[/snapback][/right]

I could put togehter a "hurricane survival pack" for a family in N.O. for $20US. You'd have to cycle some of the canned goods every year and dry goods as well as bottled water every 6 months that is it. The problem is it requires effort/planning/commitment.

That is way less that the average "refugee" I see on TV now or met in persons there over the years who pisses away that much each and every day many times over on booze, drugs & Ho's. N.O. is a toilet overdue for a flush.

It's the US governments fault, educating people against "chemical attacks" before natural disasters is dumb. GW's response has itself been "disastrously" slow not to mention being too "proud (read: ghey) to accept aid from Canada.