FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Opp Officer Charged With Fraudlent Stops
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm pretty sure he's not the only one out there who does that.
Well hopefully he gets what he deserves. Frankly we need more cases like this :ph34r:

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_34954.aspx
Quote:The accused has been suspended from duty with pay and will appear in a Brampton court on July 13th. He's charged with three counts of breach of trust and one of obstructing justice.

Thats bull...
They should take his pay for all the money and time the drivers have gone threw.
Well at least they caught him.
Now try and explain this to your insurance now that this info has come to light. Good luck getting your rates reduced back to what they were before.

I also agree to him NOT getting paid while he is off. Stupid cops abusing their powers.
I hope they rip him a new one !
But who wants to bet he'll get off scott free? This "investigation" will be just dust in public's eyes? Just like in that movie (don't recall the title )where Colin Farell was a crooked cop , his father (Jon Voigt ), also a cop said "we protect our own " !
Gabriel,Jun 4 2009, 09:49 AM Wrote:I hope they rip him a new one !
But who wants to bet he'll get off scott free? This "investigation" will be just dust in public's eyes? Just like in that movie (don't recall the title )where Colin Farell was a crooked cop , his father (Jon Voigt ), also a cop said "we protect our own " !
[right][snapback]288848[/snapback][/right]

Funny how they never put this on TV at all.

Movie is Pride and Glory.
Gabriel,Jun 4 2009, 10:49 AM Wrote:I hope they rip him a new one !
[right][snapback]288848[/snapback][/right]

Hmmmm ... I tend to see it the other way 'round ... there's abso-fawkin-lutely no way the cops charge one of their own without being double-certain that the allegations are true, and that there will be a conviction or a guilty plea bargain at the end of the road.
I really hope you're right . But please forgive me for not trusting the system 100%. Just as a parallel , was anyone found guilty and was really punished -not just a slap on the wrist - in the sponsorship scandal ? That's the result I see in this case , a slap on the wrist .
Funny how they never put this on TV at all.
[right][snapback]288851[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

It's secret , it's an "inside investigation " :censored2:
I know a guy who got busted by that cop at 403 and eglinton!

The cop was accusing him of going 50 over and when he asked to see the speedometer for proof (cause it wasn't true), the cop wouldn't show him and just ticketed him!

I dont think much will happen with him during his case...geez!
just FYI cops don't have to show the radar. It's BS I know.
If you guys got in a tough situation and cop is pushing you, ask for his badge #, don't be scared. Call his sergent.
NikiterZTS,Jun 4 2009, 09:32 PM Wrote:just FYI cops don't have to show the radar. It's BS I know.
If you guys got in a tough situation and cop is pushing you, ask for his badge #, don't be scared. Call his sergent.
[right][snapback]288902[/snapback][/right]
Or act ... not scared :lol:
Here's a little more on this case:

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/article/645345
I like how the "inlet story" links to this: http://thestar.blogs.com/maps/2009/01/map-...g-part-one.html

f***ing sensationalists.
StreetEdition,Jun 8 2009, 01:15 AM Wrote:I like how the "inlet story" links to this: http://thestar.blogs.com/maps/2009/01/map-...g-part-one.html

f***ing sensationalists.
[right][snapback]289043[/snapback][/right]

lol yeah
they were saying the same thing on the other forums.......

media loves streetracers B)
It's real simple - race where you're away from everyone, especially all the "scene" kiddies. Speeding on the major highways down south is like speeding down one of the main drags in Toronto - sooner or later, you're busted.

As for this, given Fantino's public comments, I wouldn't expect Der Fuhrer to allow anything more than an administrative wrist slap for the officer. If he gets more, it's a media-spec sacrifice, nothing more. In all likelihood, the "enforcement" will get ramped up in the progress.

Thanks to this legislation, and coupled with the fact they never have to show you the gun, they could clock anyone for 50+ if they're in a bad enough mood.

Just fly under the radar and keep the quick driving to the safe locales.
Group buy on "Valentine 1" anyone ? :)
NOS2Go4Me,Jun 8 2009, 09:41 AM Wrote:As for this, given Fantino's public comments, I wouldn't expect Der Fuhrer to allow anything more than an administrative wrist slap for the officer. If he gets more, it's a media-spec sacrifice, nothing more. In all likelihood, the "enforcement" will get ramped up in the progress.[right][snapback]289057[/snapback][/right]

He's already been arrested and charged with a felony under the criminal code so this has already gone way past the point of an administrative slap on the wrist - totally out of Fantino's hands and now into the court system.

Additionally, the charges this cop laid against three drivers have all been dropped - this to me is a pretty clear indication that the cops, and more importantly the crown attorneys, feel they have a strong case against the officer. And you can be sure that defense attorneys every where are looking very closely at what's going down.

I dunno ... maybe I'm too much of a "glass half full" kind of a guy - but if I was a cop and I saw one of my colleagues charged with a felony for allegedly screwing around with this specific piece of legislation, I'd make damn sure I never put myself in harms way by doing the same thing.

I think by even just charging this cop, regardless of the outcome in court, the message has been sent to all cops - do it right, do it by the book ... or face pretty dire consequences.

I'm not saying the law's right ... all I'm saying is that this case IMO will significanlty reduce or even eliminate the possibility of cops abusing it.
ZTWsquared,Jun 8 2009, 11:40 AM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Jun 8 2009, 09:41 AM Wrote:As for this, given Fantino's public comments, I wouldn't expect Der Fuhrer to allow anything more than an administrative wrist slap for the officer. If he gets more, it's a media-spec sacrifice, nothing more. In all likelihood, the "enforcement" will get ramped up in the progress.[right][snapback]289057[/snapback][/right]

He's already been arrested and charged with a felony under the criminal code so this has already gone way past the point of an administrative slap on the wrist - totally out of Fantino's hands and now into the court system.

Additionally, the charges this cop laid against three drivers have all been dropped - this to me is a pretty clear indication that the cops, and more importantly the crown attorneys, feel they have a strong case against the officer. And you can be sure that defense attorneys every where are looking very closely at what's going down.

I dunno ... maybe I'm too much of a "glass half full" kind of a guy - but if I was a cop and I saw one of my colleagues charged with a felony for allegedly screwing around with this specific piece of legislation, I'd make damn sure I never put myself in harms way by doing the same thing.

I think by even just charging this cop, regardless of the outcome in court, the message has been sent to all cops - do it right, do it by the book ... or face pretty dire consequences.

I'm not saying the law's right ... all I'm saying is that this case IMO will significanlty reduce or even eliminate the possibility of cops abusing it.
[right][snapback]289072[/snapback][/right]

Well said Ken. They gotta have a little bit of fear too.

Punish the punisher.
I guess I'm a glass half empty-kinda guy on this one, Ken.

There's no real check-and-balance save some gross incompetence that allows for this type of action. Had this been a standard stop scenario by <insert badge # here>, what's the average Joe to do?

If I was busted for 15 over (which I haven't been lately... just saying), I would expect 15 over on my ticket. If he writes 25 over, what do I do? It's his word against mine.

Many years ago, I got busted while doing ~20 over in my Bronco II. He wrote me up for 30 over because I questioned him on the reading. He then said I was accelerating at the time, so I should be thankful I got what I did. Even if he had given me 129 in a 100, I would have had 3 points. Instead I got 4 and the "second highest" speeding ticket at the time, which my current insurance company hated and subsequently was going to ditch me on because of it (CIBC). Instead, I flipped to another carrier and I've been there ever since. Perfect rating now for years. :)

As he handed me the ticket, I (unwisely) said "Are you kidding me? This thing has 140HP on its best day, and it has over 200,000KMs on it."

He scowled and stormed off, but something told me I dodged a 2nd ticket by <> that much.

In Ontario's traffic laws, there is ZERO accountability for speeding infractions. The latest "stunt driving" legislation just continues that long-standing precedent.

If there are convictions, they'll be hollow ones unless the HTA is revamped to include some method of accountability on the part of the ticketing/arresting officers at the side of the road.