FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Snow Tire Size's
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'd like to pick up a set of snows before the big rush begins in a month or so. I've managaed to come across a set of really cheap kumho Izen KW11 stud(less/ed) snow tires.

the size of them though is 195/75/14. Would this fit well with a car that is dropped about 1.2-1.5 inches? or do you think i'm gonna have some rubbing issues?

What size winter tire do or have you run? lowered or not lowered?
schade,Aug 28 2005, 08:11 PM Wrote:I'd like to pick up a set of snows before the big rush begins in a month or so.  I've managaed to come across a set of really cheap kumho Izen KW11 stud(less/ed) snow tires.

the size of them though is 195/75/14.  Would this fit well with a car that is dropped about 1.2-1.5 inches? or do you think i'm gonna have some rubbing issues?

What size winter tire do or have you run? lowered or not lowered?
[right][snapback]136516[/snapback][/right]

I'm lowered with Eibach Sportline. 2" drop. Currently using 185/70/14 Copper Weathermaster ST2. Grippy as hell.. I'm a pretty crazy driver, specially in winter. this thing gives me the grip that I need.

They look like this.
[Image: weathermaster_st2.jpg]

The 195/75/14 will probably rub on the fender linings on full turns. 195/70/14 should be ok. Correct size if you have 195/60/15 as stock would be 185/70/14. But you can get away with 195/70/14.... for regular winter driving you can go with 195/70/14.. I only wanted to go narrow so that I can get maximum grip.

So far these are best snow tires on deep snow.

other snow tires that I used in the past
Michelin Artic Alpin
Nokian Hakkapellitta 2
Nordic Icetrac
Cavalier Winterkings
Hankook W401
I think the ECU can flip back and forth between each of the standard Focus tire sizes (overall diameter). The 185/65R14 is standard for the 14" crowd, and would fit nicely with no clearance issues.

I say the ECU adapts because I've moved to the 16s and the overall diameter size is slightly larger, yet I've paced a few cars and I seem to be right bang-on for the speed reported by the speedo.
I dont think the ecu adapts...

The miata tire size calculator on OFOC. says swtiching betwen tiresizes.. (stock avaliable on the focus) would yield between a fraction of a percent to 2 percent difference in speedo reading.

I think I'm just going to go for the stock sized wheel in winter tread.

I'm not concerned with looking "cool" in the winter. :lol:
NOS2Go4Me,Aug 29 2005, 10:23 AM Wrote:I think the ECU can flip back and forth between each of the standard Focus tire sizes (overall diameter). The 185/65R14 is standard for the 14" crowd, and would fit nicely with no clearance issues.

I say the ECU adapts because I've moved to the 16s and the overall diameter size is slightly larger, yet I've paced a few cars and I seem to be right bang-on for the speed reported by the speedo.
[right][snapback]136660[/snapback][/right]

There is nothing the computer learnes from changing tires if you switch between stock tire size P185/65R14 (23.5" diameter), P195/60R15 (24.2" diameter), P205/50R16 (24.1" diameter). Its the diameter size that screws you up if you can stay around the 24" mark you are fine and won't notice anything, might mess you like 1.5km/hr. Its like changing a gear size, smaller = faster; bigger = slower

I messed around with this alot on my old stang burning up left over tires at home and learned alot.
I use the Michelin X-ice. I'm not sure if they are worth thier money i'll get a better run on them this winter. Stock tires P205/50R16, and snows P195/60R15 and no problems

[Image: xice_large.jpg]
195/60R15's here on stock.

Common school of thinking is going with a wheel size that's the smallest offered on your vehicle.

I ran Nokian WR's for my winter driving the past three years.

This year, not quite sure. I'm split on either Blizzaks or the new Nokian Hakka RSi. Just iffy on how badly I need an H-rating for my driving.
oH BLIZZAK for sure!!, i should have bought them my self, i find the x-ice doesn't have an "open" enough tread pattern
i have the blizzak's and their Greeeeeaaaat. but i have it in a different size 215/45/17 and cost me a fortune for them. but they sure are good.
My Focus has 185/65R15 Nokian Hakka 1's on steel wheels. Those are hardcore deep snow tires.

The WRX has Yokohama AVS Winter in 205/55R16 on steel wheels.

I'm definately not about looks come winter.
Crazirich,Sep 2 2005, 11:47 AM Wrote:oH BLIZZAK for sure!!, i should have bought them my self, i find the x-ice doesn't have an "open" enough tread pattern
[right][snapback]138434[/snapback][/right]

That's not really the hesitation for the Blizzaks.

Most of the ice/compound tires for winter have only a Q speed rating. With my extended highway use, I'd like a bit of comfort with a performance tire...so there's only one Blizzak (LM-18) on the Canadian website that's H-rated. The US doesn't show this tire at all. There's a new Blizzak (REVO, I think it's called), but it's still a Q-rated tire.

Guess I'll use my free tires for something else :)
I have two 15inch steel rims for the focus if anyones looking.
Pm me.