FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Hurricane Katrina
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
:blink:

Hit Category 5 over night! You gotta see the size of this mofo...It's absolutely enormous!!! Looks poised to make a direct hit on Louisiana's coast, and New Orleans which, on average, lies 6 feet below sea level looks like it will suffer a near direct hit!! Hope people are getting out now....by mid-afternoon/tonight its gonna be too late...apparently this storm could be even more devastating than Hurricane Andrew that hit Florida in 1992 and would be only the 3rd Category 5 hurricane in recorded history to hit the U.S.

New Orleans is in for a terrible disaster if this this stays on course.... :(

Hurricane Katrina Hits Category 5 Status With 257kph Winds
I really hope it changes course, but if not, well I hope God can be with the people of New Orleans and keep them safe. This looks like it could be 'the' storm they thought would never come...
damn.... who wants to fly a kite LOL
Random Hero,Aug 28 2005, 01:09 PM Wrote:I really hope it changes course, but if not, well I hope God can be with the people of New Orleans and keep them safe. This looks like it could be 'the' storm they thought would never come...
[right][snapback]136430[/snapback][/right]

Who is god?
BradfordZX3,Aug 28 2005, 04:16 PM Wrote:
Random Hero,Aug 28 2005, 01:09 PM Wrote:I really hope it changes course, but if not, well I hope God can be with the people of New Orleans and keep them safe. This looks like it could be 'the' storm they thought would never come...
[right][snapback]136430[/snapback][/right]

Who is god?
[right][snapback]136433[/snapback][/right]

And why is she mad at me?
meford4u,Aug 28 2005, 12:23 PM Wrote:And why is she mad at me?
[right][snapback]136434[/snapback][/right]

she, mad, and me

does it require an explanation?

Anyhoo. .heard there is a mandatory evacuation order for new orleans... I hope they all get out alright.
Sad,..the Sis had to left to Houston....alone..with her 2 dogs and cat...
waiting for news from there...all hotels in Texas were booked,also
Mississipi..so for now, praying for at least a not too devastating hurricane.
Apparetly the highways and freeways are completely jammed!
I saw on the news that Florida had opened all lanes on their freeway for northbound traffic to help evacuate.. New Orleans is going to get hit hard. I cant imagine the damage it's going to cause.

I wonder if the American government can pull any money away from their military spending to use for aide and relief funds ;)
now if this was 200 years ago, there would be no information or communication and we would never even know that it was going to happen until a couple months after. So we wouldn't care back then. Kinda like the battle of New Orleans. As long as it doesn't interfere with any Nascar races, ill be happy
crazikev,Aug 28 2005, 03:07 PM Wrote:now if this was 200 years ago, there would be no information or communication and we would never even know that it was going to happen until a couple months after.  So we wouldn't care back then. Kinda like the battle of New Orleans.  As long as it doesn't interfere with any Nascar races, ill be happy
[right][snapback]136461[/snapback][/right]

Thats madd ignorant yo! :lol:
microbunny,Aug 28 2005, 02:13 PM Wrote:
crazikev,Aug 28 2005, 03:07 PM Wrote:now if this was 200 years ago, there would be no information or communication and we would never even know that it was going to happen until a couple months after.  So we wouldn't care back then. Kinda like the battle of New Orleans.  As long as it doesn't interfere with any Nascar races, ill be happy

[right][snapback]136462[/snapback][/right]
Your DAM right!! :o And don't you forget it. :lol:

PS.- I thought you were gonna call me a redneck :lol:
crazikev,Aug 28 2005, 03:18 PM Wrote:
microbunny,Aug 28 2005, 02:13 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]136462[/snapback][/right]
Your DAM right!! And don't you forget it.
[right][snapback]136464[/snapback][/right]

Forget about what?
the national weather service has pretty much posted that New Orleans won't be there in a couple of days...

Quote:URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW ORLEANS LA
413 PM CDT SUN AUG 28 2005

EXTREMELY DANGEROUS HURRICANE KATRINA CONTINUES TO APPROACH THE
  MISSISSIPPI RIVER DELTA

DEVASTATING DAMAGE EXPECTED

MOST OF THE AREA WILL BE UNINHABITABLE FOR WEEKS...PERHAPS LONGER. AT
LEAST ONE HALF OF WELL CONSTRUCTED HOMES WILL HAVE ROOF AND WALL
FAILURE. ALL GABLED ROOFS WILL FAIL...LEAVING THOSE HOMES SEVERELY
DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.

THE MAJORITY OF INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS WILL BECOME NON FUNCTIONAL.
PARTIAL TO COMPLETE WALL AND ROOF FAILURE IS EXPECTED. ALL WOOD
FRAMED LOW RISING APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL BE DESTROYED. CONCRETE
BLOCK LOW RISE APARTMENTS WILL SUSTAIN MAJOR DAMAGE...INCLUDING SOME
WALL AND ROOF FAILURE.

HIGH RISE OFFICE AND APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL SWAY DANGEROUSLY...A
FEW TO THE POINT OF TOTAL COLLAPSE. ALL WINDOWS WILL BLOW OUT.

AIRBORNE DEBRIS WILL BE WIDESPREAD...AND MAY INCLUDE HEAVY ITEMS SUCH
AS HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCES AND EVEN LIGHT VEHICLES. SPORT UTILITY
VEHICLES AND LIGHT TRUCKS WILL BE MOVED. THE BLOWN DEBRIS WILL CREATE
ADDITIONAL DESTRUCTION. PERSONS...PETS...AND LIVESTOCK EXPOSED TO THE
WINDS WILL FACE CERTAIN DEATH IF STRUCK.

POWER OUTAGES WILL LAST FOR WEEKS...AS MOST POWER POLES WILL BE DOWN
AND TRANSFORMERS DESTROYED. WATER SHORTAGES WILL MAKE HUMAN SUFFERING
INCREDIBLE BY MODERN STANDARDS.

THE VAST MAJORITY OF NATIVE TREES WILL BE SNAPPED OR UPROOTED. ONLY
THE HEARTIEST WILL REMAIN STANDING...BUT BE TOTALLY DEFOLIATED. FEW
CROPS WILL REMAIN. LIVESTOCK LEFT EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL BE
KILLED.

AN INLAND HURRICANE WIND WATCH IS ISSUED WHEN SUSTAINED WINDS NEAR
HURRICANE FORCE...OR FREQUENT GUSTS AT OR ABOVE HURRICANE FORCE...ARE
POSSIBLE WITHIN THE NEXT 24 TO 36 HOURS.

LAZ038-040-050-056>070-MSZ080>082-290300-
ASSUMPTION-HANCOCK-HARRISON-JACKSON-LIVINGSTON-LOWER JEFFERSON-
LOWER LAFOURCHE-LOWER PLAQUEMINES-LOWER ST. BERNARD-LOWER TERREBONNE-
ORLEANS-ST. CHARLES-ST. JAMES-ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST-ST. TAMMANY-
TANGIPAHOA-UPPER JEFFERSON-UPPER LAFOURCHE-UPPER PLAQUEMINES-
UPPER ST. BERNARD-UPPER TERREBONNE-
413 PM CDT SUN AUG 28 2005

INLAND HURRICANE WIND WARNING IS IN EFFECT

HURRICANE KATRINA CONTINUES TO APPROACH THE AREA. TROPICAL STORM
FORCE WINDS ARE CURRENTLY MOVING INTO THE COASTAL MARSHES AND WILL
PERSIST FOR THE NEXT 26 TO 28 HOURS. HURRICANE FORCE WINDS WILL
ONSET AROUND MIDNIGHT NEAR THE COAST AND BY 3 AM CLOSER TO THE NEW
ORLEANS METRO AREA AND PERSIST FOR 9 TO 15 HOURS. MAXIMUM WIND GUSTS
AROUND 175 MPH ARE LIKELY IN THE WARNED AREA BY DAYBREAK MONDAY.

DO NOT VENTURE OUTDOORS ONCE TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS ONSET!

and that was posted AFTER the flood warnings... my guess is that whatever's not under water will be blown off the map...
Yah new orleans and every town or city around it is going to get pwn3d big time by katrina, it's a shame. It's a friggin monster on the map :blink: Thank god it's not andrew all over again, or is it? :blink:
Kool_ZX3,Aug 28 2005, 07:12 PM Wrote:Yah new orleans and every town or city around it is going to get pwn3d big time by katrina, it's a shame. It's a friggin monster on the map  :blink: Thank god it's not andrew all over again, or is it?  :blink:
[right][snapback]136503[/snapback][/right]

This is going to be MUCH worse than Andrew... if the weather service is right, New orleans is going to get absolutely FLATTENED... off the map... nothing but a few concrete plinths in 12 ft of water...
darkpuppet,Aug 28 2005, 08:23 PM Wrote:
Kool_ZX3,Aug 28 2005, 07:12 PM Wrote:Yah new orleans and every town or city around it is going to get pwn3d big time by katrina, it's a shame. It's a friggin monster on the map  :blink: Thank god it's not andrew all over again, or is it?  :blink:
[right][snapback]136503[/snapback][/right]

This is going to be MUCH worse than Andrew... if the weather service is right, New orleans is going to get absolutely FLATTENED... off the map... nothing but a few concrete plinths in 12 ft of water...
[right][snapback]136506[/snapback][/right]

All thre taller buildings will be there, the skyline will stay but i think all homes,buisnesses will be floatin down town :(
gives a whole new meaning to "New Orleans is Sinking" I guess..

but DAMN.. I've been out of touch with the civilized world (was in the armpit of Pennsylvania, no TV, etc. Had a message on my voicemail once I was able to get cellular signal from a friend who lives outside of NO saying not to worry, and that she was on her way out the door to go to upper Lousiana to stay with relatives. So I was like.. um... huh? (Can't understand her accent when she talks anyways, and she was frantic, which made it worse) Tried to call to see what she was talking about, all circuits are busy. Turn on the news and see this monster right on collision course. They sure are in for a world of hell. Hope the other folks can get the hell out of there before it hits, and that some of the city will be spared.

And yeah, we'll pull money away from stupid bush's army and help these folks out ;) At least, we better :)
Sounds like NO is going to become the modern day Atlantis.
Man what a great city to get wacked like that :( - hopefully some "divine intervention" will happen :unsure:
Pages: 1 2 3