FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Buying An Older Jeep
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

01-yellow-ZX3

Sup guys,

I'm thinking about buying a 1989 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 for a winter vehicle.

It's got an auto tranny, 240,000kms, V6 (177hp, 220 ft lbs), comes safetied.

The following were just replaced: water pump, alternator, belt, fuel pump, starter, muffler.

There's a small bit of rust on the rear quarter panels, but theres no major body rust apparently.

Problem: needs a new 02 sensor apparently. Easy fix I can do myself, if thats all it needs.

I'm not going to be putting a lot of mileage on it since it is going to be winter and all, so gas prices really won't affect me much. Since gas prices are as high as they are, I think its a good time to buy a SUV, but a hard time to sell it

Insurance is less than half of the Focus. :lol:

I'm going to take a look at it sometime soon.

Can you guys suggest anything I should look at specifically? Anybody familiar with any notorious problems with older Jeeps?

If I do go with it, any suggestions on a good AT tire?

Thanks guys.
one thing I might say is get it's compression checked it's got some milage there.
Tell the seller to replace the 02 sensor and see how it performs.
timing belt/chain
Definately wheel it in for a closer look.

There's some major KMS' there!
It sounds like it got the 4.0 which is a very rugged engine, they were notorious for water pumps but it seems that been fixed. Id say check out the transfer case and the 4x4 system for proper operation, check the u joints etc...
I got an 1988 Jeep, they are not bad.....and the deal your getting is not bad either, but don't pay more then $4000 for it, unless it's a limited model.
Give me 2 days, I can probably find you one with less clicks for a better price. My cousin used to drive one, and I know he still has it. I'll find out specs and let you know.
One of my buds picked up a 87 cherokee with 160km last year for 1000 .... he had to do a diff service and gas tank. and thats it, runs perfectly.
i heard that some of them leak a lot of oil

01-yellow-ZX3

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

This one I'm looking at is about $1000 cheaper than anything else around the same in the Trader, so its a pretty decent deal I think.
Take the truck out for a drive. listen for any humming or noises coming from the drivetrain... if theres a slight hum it probably means a diff rebuild is needed.
Cool. Congrats and good luck! :)