FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Why The City Of Toronto Is Such A Heap Of s**t
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello, I'm posting again for the first time in 2 days. Why you might ask? Well there are a few reasons, but namely, my power has been off since 3 pm Friday and was just restored today at 5 am. Interestingly, my house, along with about 20 others in a neighbourhood of around 600 homes was one of the last to have power restored after the big storm Friday. 6 houses down in either direction, the power was working fine, just our little strip was out for this long. What does this mean? No internet, no a/c, food in the fridge goes bad, you know the drill. Toronto Hydro's excuse? "Oh, we didn't realize your area was down due to the fact that it was such a small block of homes. We saw everyone else in the neighbourhood on and figured it was the whole strip"... yeah okay, tell me that again when I've called you 4 times asking when my power would be back on... and speaking of times, they said "We'll have it on by 7 am Saturday" then it was 10 am, then 2 pm, then 7 pm, and if it wasn't on by 11 pm, it would probably be Sunday morning.. in a city the size of Toronto where we pay taxes up the wazoo, I didn't see ONE hydro worker anywhere I drove in a 10 km radius working on anything.

What else happened? My basement, which many of you have heard me raving about finishing myself and having spent many dollars and hours working on, is in shambles. Why, Al?? What happened?! The local sewers backed up, causing water to seep in and destroy my beautiful laminate floors and up the drywall about a foot.. also among the casualties of my basement were: my paintball marker, my numark mixer, my turn tables (all in a case in storage in the furnace room), my printer, two really nice paradigm speakers... all told at least $6-7 grand worth of damage down there alone...

Here's the best part. The reason the water backed up and flooded everyone's basement in the area is because just a year and a half ago, 200+ new homes went up in a former hydro corridor... and just last week, we received a notice from our councillor's office notifying us of a distruption of local traffic as they needed to replace the existing main with a new one because in a high demand situation, the current water main would not be able to support the amount of run off from all the new homes. The city had the chance, and was asked to improve the main before the new homes were built, but elected not to. Now they are in a state where they have 200+ residents of the old homes with water damage as a result of their oversight... anyway. Thought I'd rant. On the bright side, my car was inside during the hail storm, so it doesn't have anymore dings on it :P
s**t man...that sucks!!!! Can't you go see the Town for the damage on your equipement?? It was there fault...
I'm organizing a meeting with the local residents who were affected with our Councillor.. I had good relations with my previous city councillor so hopefully I can get somewhere and see if we'll get a bit or compensation... but fighting the city might be a pain in the ass... I'm more likely to get some coin out of insurance, pending that they don't declare it an act of God. I'm hoping for the best, but who knows. I couldn't even hook up my wet dry vac cause the damned power was out... my floor downstairs is peeling and the whole bit... it's gonna be at least a couple grand to replace that alone.. hopefully the walls won't mould up or I'll have to replace at least 18" of that along the bottom... such a pain... We'll see what happens.
Sucks.

If your basement ever floods toss in a couple jugs of bleach right away. Any hardware store can also sell you a one way valve for your floor drain.

Also on the subject of water damage one of the best things a home owner can do is get braided stainless steel lines for your washing machine.
That sucks Al, hope you fight them and Win!
Flooding in your basement because they neglected to install the proper sewage systems in place before the new subdivisions was build is NOT an ACT OF GOD, it is an act of STUPIDITY on the City's behalf. Those who ever was incharge of planning should be held responsible. That is totally not acceptible for a supposed world class city such as Toronto.

I hope you get some sort of Compensation, Al!
I was wondering if any one on here was affected by the storm. I know own city is doing something for the residience who were affected by the storm we had back in June.Hopefulley TO will do the same.

Well a buddy of mine here in North Bay got problems cause of the storm... Well seems a lightning bolt hit an electrical pole with a transformer and the sucker blew up. When it blew, there was a hot hydro line that smacked his satellite dish. :o

Not only did the satellite get "fried", but the resulting surge of power somehow killed his desktop computer and laptop. Lucky bastard is now getting a brand new computer and laptop for his troubles paid for by Hydro. :D

So he was without TV, internet and landline phone for a day or two.

To top it off, his hot water tank blew somehow and water was everywhere in the basement.

Now that's a crappy day... :P
Yeah my laptop that I use for the radio station is pooched. It was sitting on the ground hooked up to my surround sound (I use it for MP3's and whatnot sometimes) and the screen is all water damaged and s**t. such a pain. Hopefully insurance will cover that
2001 ZTS,Aug 21 2005, 11:26 AM Wrote:If your basement ever floods toss in a couple jugs of bleach right away.

[right][snapback]134494[/snapback][/right]

what does a couple of jugs of bleach do? but other than that, Al, that royaly sucks..i'd fighting this till the end to get my money back, that's just not right what the city did with the sewers, and i hope you get your share out of everything
Bleach kills everything, and it sanitizes everything......... so if you had s**t floating in your basement and you pour the bleach into the water, it lessens the chances of a bacterial growth, or mold growing, and helps reduce the risk of you getting sick while cleaning up the mess from items that would have been infected by the dirty water.

But all in all Al, I really hope you get some type of action taken, not to mention money for your losses.
think the bleach might fight mold growth? just a wild guess.

Man with all that damage, I really hope that the councillor will do something, the whole situation is retarded.

Where in Scarborough do you live? Michelle lives in the asiancourt area, and nothing Bad happened. My geography of the area is still a bit sketchy, but learning pretty fast. At least I can get to Tim's now without getting lost on all the twisty roads.

** Awaits the invite for all focuscanada peeps to "come over for a few beers".. only to find a few sheets of drywall, some screwguns, mud, and trowels sitting next to the beer cases*
Everything you need to know about any emergency is here:

http://www.ocipep.gc.ca/info_pro/self_help_ad/fam_e.asp

As for the bleach it is in the "flood" section.
torradan,Aug 21 2005, 01:36 PM Wrote:Where in Scarborough do you live?  Michelle lives in the asiancourt area, and nothing Bad happened.
[right][snapback]134527[/snapback][/right]

I'm in Agincourt as well... Warden & Finch area... where abouts is Michelle? Everyone in my area had flooded basements/power outages
Sorry to hear Al

Total Bummer indeed.
Raine,Aug 21 2005, 08:22 PM Wrote:
torradan,Aug 21 2005, 01:36 PM Wrote:Where in Scarborough do you live?  Michelle lives in the asiancourt area, and nothing Bad happened.
[right][snapback]134527[/snapback][/right]

I'm in Agincourt as well... Warden & Finch area... where abouts is Michelle? Everyone in my area had flooded basements/power outages
[right][snapback]134575[/snapback][/right]

She lives off Timberbank. Didn't have any flooding or power outages at all.
See, folks, this is the "upside" to living on a mountain. Even if it's Hamilton Mountain. :blink:
I think my usb hub got hit, and everything connected to it. It wasn't on the powerbar.
It's not as bad as a whole basement, but still.
torradan,Aug 21 2005, 07:31 PM Wrote:She lives off Timberbank.  Didn't have any flooding or power outages at all.
[right][snapback]134582[/snapback][/right]

Well that's probably because Timberbank is right on the ravine there... those homes never have drainage issues because their mains go right into the channel.

How old is she? if she's in that area I probably know her/someone who knows her
Raine,Aug 21 2005, 08:39 PM Wrote:Well that's probably because Timberbank is right on the ravine there... those homes never have drainage issues because their mains go right into the channel.

How old is she? if she's in that area I probably know her/someone who knows her

in her very early 30s.

edit: changed from her real age to protect myself from getting my ass kicked by the midget *if* she ever finds out! heh
what does this have to do with immigrants?

Pages: 1 2