FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Don't Piss Me Off (ii)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I occasionally have to send a pretty biting e-mail as part of my work. I posted one before. Some are true classics. He is my latest patented "nastygram" to the supplier of a new satellite (data/voice) service to one of my ships.

Instead of the expected $700 invoice for one month I was shocked to find it cost $9200 for one month. Somewhere in the system there was a problem. It may have been my ships hardware or the computer but regardless there was no way for me to find out about the problem till the bill came.

I made some changes in July but had no way to know if they were effective because the provider would not disclose airtime and usage to me even though I am the account holder. For "privacy reasons" it would take a police or court order to disclose. I told customer service that there invoice was a crime hung up. I tried politely many times since to get anything at all and this morning I just snapped.......loosed it.......... and started typing:

Subject: Unacceptable

XXXXXXXX:

I find the current XXXXXXXXX situation completely unacceptable. Regardless of where in the computer and satellite system the fault may have been, or may still be as I have no way of knowing, there must be some mechanism somewhere where the account holder can get the answer to the very simple question: “Is using our XXXXXXXXX costing our company up to $800 a day?”.

From the very first meeting I disclosed all the details of the previous MSAT system include monthly costs of $1500 which we were hoping to improve upon.

As a new customer with new equipment someone at either XXXXXX and/or XXXXXXXX should have been monitoring our account/usage to see if we remain within the set bounds and to inform us when they are exceeded. When an average of 50 individual calls per day costs a total of $25 one day and $800 the next day a red flag should come up somewhere and the customer informed. If I were to sell 25 tonnes of fuel to a ship one day and 800 tonnes the next I would tell my customer they obviously have a leak in their ship. My daily costs using XXXXXXX has behaved the exact same way, $25 one day and more than $800 the next.

The XXXXXXX system is advertised as a system suitable for use by individuals in remote locations such as prospectors, foresters, fishermen and the like. Are these same individuals expected to each bring with them an entire IT department to monitor their system? My people already have full time jobs and I expect those whose job is in the business of providing a satellite service to be able to detect when there is obviously a problem and to give their customers that information.

If I am still employed after disclosing the situation to the owners in a meeting Monday I will be recommending discontinuing use of the XXXXXXX system. XXXXXXX may not seem like an important customer but what seems to be forgotten is that XXXXXXX is part of a much larger organization, XXXXXXXX. XXXXXX is often a place to test new ideas and equipment. Had I been pleased with the service received I would have shared my experience with the parent company who in total are involved in the management of approximately 50 vessels spread over half a dozen companies and partnerships.

As an employee, for now, of a company with the best reputation in the industry just one submission to an industry newspaper or magazine stating that I had found a way to slash satellite bills to a sub $CN1000 level, had a reliable system and received a good level of customer service as well could have resulted in the world beating a path to XXXXXXXX’s door.

Andrew XXXX
Superintendent Special Projects
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

That one goes on the wall.

Anyway money talks, the invoice now "does not exist" and now rather than having to deal with customer service and sales people I now have a direct line to the head office. They want a chance at those 50 other ships SO BAD.
Have you been drinking??

or hitting the ...*huff-huff* you know...*wink- wink*
can you fill in the XXXXXXXXX's?
microbunny,Aug 19 2005, 08:01 PM Wrote:Have you been drinking??

or hitting the ...*huff-huff* you know...*wink- wink*
[right][snapback]134204[/snapback][/right]

Don't make me send you a letter!!!!!!!

Actually I am celebrating as the above is the sort of drama that gets people raises.

The biggest subsidiary of the parent company is looking at $25,000 in start up costs and $25,000 per ship per year airtime.

If I trump them* and show my way has a $5000 start up and $10,000 per ship per year airtime I'd have saved the owners $35,000 per ship in year one and $15,000 per ship per year on a go forward basis. When you multiply by 40+ ships it gets into savings of millions in a short time.

*the old skool ship managers. When I started as a shore manager I was the youngest in North America. Shore managers are usually retired Captains.
Sounds like either Globalstar or Infosat...

Anywho, that's the one thing I hate about some suppliers, they have a "customer service" line that you have to call to get help. You never get the same person each time and more than likely they have an accent you can't understand.

Sometimes we have suppliers that are really inflexible and do not wish to negotiate.

We had a supplier that was like this, they didn't have a direct person I could speak with that could help me, plus their local distributor was not able to be flexible with regards to negotiations.

So in the end, we got rid of that supplier and got a new supplier who was:

a ) Local
b ) Better Pricing
c ) More dependable service
d ) Willing to negotiate with any problems that arise

Now all I do is call one guy for all the help and supplies I need. If I have a problem, I talk to him, if not, I speak with the president of the company.

The original supplier essentially lost around $40,000 per month in revenues after that. You'd be surprised the amount of calls I got from that supplier after they were starting to lose business.
Interesting stuff from Oscar and Crazy.

Sounds like Oscar is also in transportation? transport trucks?

"Crazy" are you asking what company (XXXXXX) because you are a customer, supplier, seller, work for or just a user like myself?

Lets go to PM. I'm just happy because I can sleep this weekend without worry about being grilled in a meeting Monday and still have a job.

2001 ZTS,Aug 19 2005, 09:53 PM Wrote:Interesting stuff from Oscar and Crazy.

Sounds like Oscar is also in transportation? transport trucks?

"Crazy" are you asking what company (XXXXXX) because you are a customer, supplier, seller, work for or just a user like myself?

Lets go to PM. I'm just happy because I can sleep this weekend without worry about being grilled in a meeting Monday and still have a job.
[right][snapback]134217[/snapback][/right]

Actually we're in mine contracting and construction.
2001 ZTS,Aug 19 2005, 09:21 PM Wrote:Don't make me send you a letter!!!!!!!

[right][snapback]134213[/snapback][/right]

PFFT.

you dont have the stones to send me a letter
Oscar The Grouch,Aug 19 2005, 09:04 PM Wrote:Actually we're in mine contracting and construction.
[right][snapback]134218[/snapback][/right]

Awesome!

I will definatelty be in contact as besides obviously having a common history of sat problems the "core" business of my parent company is moving large quantities of "bulk" and your company obviously has lots of bulk to move.

This is why Focus Canada is usefull to me, It's another "networking possibility" that traditional managers can't tap into.

Quite frankly it's the people on FC not the car itself anymore.

2001 ZTS,Aug 19 2005, 10:20 PM Wrote:
Oscar The Grouch,Aug 19 2005, 09:04 PM Wrote:Actually we're in mine contracting and construction.
[right][snapback]134218[/snapback][/right]

Awesome!

I will definatelty be in contact as besides obviously having a common history of sat problems the "core" business of my parent company is moving large quantities of "bulk" and your company obviously has lots of bulk to move.

This is why Focus Canada is usefull to me, It's another "networking possibility" that traditional managers can't tap into.

Quite frankly it's the people on FC not the car itself anymore.[right][snapback]134222[/snapback][/right]

In that case I want some compensation for you knowing me!!
microbunny,Aug 19 2005, 09:37 PM Wrote:In that case I want some compensation for you knowing me!!
[right][snapback]134224[/snapback][/right]

Pfffffffffffft, you are the FocusCanada equivalent to GST and "hands up" who likes paying GST?

The reality for the rest of us is that you are here and the rest of us have to deal with it, pay for it but nobody is happy about it.

Have a happy day
PWN3D
hmm, just learned something from 2001 ZTS. thaks man.
FocusGuy7476,Aug 19 2005, 09:54 PM Wrote:hmm, just learned something from 2001 ZTS. thaks man.
[right][snapback]134234[/snapback][/right]
what did you learn? something about the XXXXXXXXX company?
2001 ZTS,Aug 20 2005, 02:53 AM Wrote:
microbunny,Aug 19 2005, 09:37 PM Wrote:In that case I want some compensation for you knowing me!!

Pfffffffffffft, you are the FocusCanada equivalent to GST and "hands up" who likes paying GST?

The reality for the rest of us is that you are here and the rest of us have to deal with it, pay for it but nobody is happy about it.

Have a happy day
[right][snapback]134230[/snapback][/right]

That is the best explaination of bunny evar.

He owns you Paul
crazikev,Aug 19 2005, 09:55 PM Wrote:
FocusGuy7476,Aug 19 2005, 09:54 PM Wrote:hmm, just learned something from 2001 ZTS. thaks man.
[right][snapback]134236[/snapback][/right]

Don't jump without looking. What one may think is my parent company may be a abused step child but things may not be as they appear and landing hurts.

I've posted before that I am involved in the planet's most ruthless industry, survived, exceeded and profited.

Pay attention when I RFQ
2001 ZTS,Aug 19 2005, 10:07 PM Wrote:

Don't jump without looking. What one may think is my parent company may be a abused step child but things may not be as they appear and landing hurts.

I've posted before that I am involved in the planet's most ruthless industry, survived, exceeded and profited.

Pay attention when I RFQ
[right][snapback]134242[/snapback][/right]
you should write a book
meford4u,Aug 19 2005, 10:03 PM Wrote:
2001 ZTS,Aug 20 2005, 02:53 AM Wrote:

Have a happy day

That is the best explaination of bunny evar.

He owns you Paul
[right][snapback]134241[/snapback][/right]
w3rd
2001 ZTS,Aug 20 2005, 03:07 AM Wrote:

Pay attention when I RFQ
[right][snapback]134242[/snapback][/right]

RFQ???? Ream Faggot Quebecers?
2001 ZTS,Aug 19 2005, 10:53 PM Wrote:

Have a happy day

The reality is your an old man hanging out on a forum with younger people making yourself feel like a big man by bragging about your 'great job' and your WRX. I feel no sympathy towards a bitter middle-aged man whose only line of defense is half-witted comments on a message board.

Furthermore, despite how you feel about me, I can not even be insulted in the slightest because you really have nothing on me. All your pre-concieved notions of me are most likely based only what you know of me on a internet message board and not of who I am in reality. I'm sure that doesnt matter to you, though as you've made it quite apparent how your narrow mind see things.

Have a happy day yourself
Pages: 1 2