FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: That Clip - Shifter Install
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay I did a search and didn't find much. Anyone have a little guide to
installing a short shifter?
I think my bushing are going as well, so I think I am
going to have to bring it to the dealer to get it fixed... Damn dealer labour rates!
Good luck

this should do you right
cant you jsut chop it?
^^^ technically... yes. The Tri/Ax shifter however isn't simply a shortend handle. There is also a spacer included to raise the pivot point. It creates a shorter throw by increasing the moment arm underneath.
The Steeda tri/ax comes with a pretty good instruction sheet. Only negative thing about their instructions is that they show how to remove the center console with armrest, the console without armrest is slightly different.

It's a fairly easy installation, I did mine myself with help from my friend and neither of us are really "mechanic" types.
guilty,Aug 16 2005, 11:42 AM Wrote:The Steeda tri/ax comes with a pretty good instruction sheet.  Only negative thing about their instructions is that they show how to remove the center console with armrest, the console without armrest is slightly different.

It's a fairly easy installation, I did mine myself with help from my friend and neither of us are really "mechanic" types.
[right][snapback]133087[/snapback][/right]

either Am i.

Done in 45 minutes. Easiest install to date....ok...the spark plug cover was easier. :rolleyes:

Onc eyou have evertyhting apart, it will make perfect sense to ya. B)

If you need help, call me up. Im in Montreal till Friday, I'll be back in orleans on Friday night.
The only hard part is the retaining clip...i hate the bitch. I almost wrecked mine.
Does anyone know what kevin means when he says....

Its real easy....just carefull with that clip...

First time I did it It took me like an hour to figure out that clip, then after that swapping shifters is like a 10 minute job.

????????????????????? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:
BrooksZX3,Aug 16 2005, 11:15 AM Wrote:^^^ technically... yes.  The Tri/Ax shifter however isn't simply a shortend handle.  There is also a spacer included to raise the pivot point.  It creates a shorter throw by increasing the moment arm underneath.
[right][snapback]133079[/snapback][/right]

Hmmm... just got the box and I don't think kevin sent me the spacer.

could someone move this to the other topic I have on the shifter install?
????

please....???

thanks
FocusTunerzx3,Aug 16 2005, 05:17 PM Wrote:The only hard part is the retaining clip...i hate the bitch. I almost wrecked mine.
[right][snapback]133130[/snapback][/right]

Do you mean the plastic clip holding the selector shaft? I smashed mine and replaced it with a washer and proper c-clip.
Hmmm... I don't have the reverse lockout either! I'm not liking this now, considering I'm going into the shop tomorrow.

Well I guess it is back to stock for me.
ZX3guy2000,Aug 16 2005, 03:57 PM Wrote:
BrooksZX3,Aug 16 2005, 11:15 AM Wrote:^^^ technically... yes.  The Tri/Ax shifter however isn't simply a shortend handle.  There is also a spacer included to raise the pivot point.  It creates a shorter throw by increasing the moment arm underneath.
[right][snapback]133079[/snapback][/right]

Hmmm... just got the box and I don't think kevin sent me the spacer.
[right][snapback]133187[/snapback][/right]

hmm, yeah, I think the non-svt is configured a little different;y... I think the spacing is built into the mechanism. Sorry, been a while since I've had a look at those.

Contact the guys at Steeda.ca if you need some help.
[/quote]

hmm, yeah, I think the non-svt is configured a little different;y... I think the spacing is built into the mechanism. Sorry, been a while since I've had a look at those.

Contact the guys at Steeda.ca if you need some help.
[right][snapback]133382[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Well I am going to put the stock one in, and wait till I can get a hold of hardkore, to see if he has the reverse lockout part of the shifter as well as the clip...
There should be some kind of plate thing that is supposed to help with missed shifts included in it, you screw it in with the top of the assembly. That's on the 2000-02 model anyway.

I think there's a pictoral article in the newest Focus Fanatics magazine about installing Steeda's Tri/ax shifter too.