FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Paypal Scam :::update:::::
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I purchase some stuff from the US. I sent my payapl no problems. The guy says no ship to unconfirmed address. What?? So I take car of it with Paypal. To get my address confirmed I must get a refund and repay. No problems. The guy sends me back 375 USD. That's converted to 438 CDN. I Send him back 375 USD within 2 hrs.Paypal charges me 463 CDN!! Then I notice my account still says address is unconfirmed. I call and they tell me that they'll have to talk with someone who comes in later and E-mail me back. I got the E-mail this morning they sure did give me the runaround about fees and M/C fees blah blah and then proceed to give me instructions on how to send money from my paypal acct. Duh!!! I'm pissed right now you can bet on that.
If it a credit card like Master Card I imagine the "buy" and "sell" rates are likely different just like exchanging money at a bank? It shouldn't be as much as in your case though, the difference between $438 and $463 is like 5%?
2001 ZTS,Aug 16 2005, 11:21 AM Wrote:If it a credit card like Master Card I imagine the "buy" and "sell" rates are likely different just like exchanging money at a bank? It shouldn't be as much as in your case though, the difference between $438 and $463 is like 5%?
[right][snapback]133019[/snapback][/right]

Sounds like they got him on the upside going one way, and the downside coming back. Paypal has a very large spread for money conversions.

However, that practice is completely unacceptable. I'd raise hell. If you got a refund, it should be a refund of the full amount in the original currency.
I was pretty sure that you couldn't get a "confirmed" address when you live in Canada?
my wife had a HUGE problem with pay-pal!
someone hacked into her account and tryed bidding on stuff and won, and then tried paying for it with her pay pal but it didn't work cuz they didn't have the right info from paypal, my advice might be to cancel ANYTHIGN you have with ebay write now! write them all a msg and just say that theres somehting goion on wuith ur account and ur gonna make a new one. use a completely different name, cuz my wife tried to use the same kinda name, and then they realized it was her and hacked it AGAIN! luckily she had no room on her credit card LOL, but my point is that mayube someone has hacked into ur account, so i would cancel it and make a new one. i know its a bit of a pain in teh ass but we haven't had one problem since she did

u don't have to obviously, but if it was me that's what i would do cuz its already happened to us once, and that could just be that someone is mesing with ur info
Jays2000ZX3,Aug 16 2005, 07:27 AM Wrote:I was pretty sure that you couldn't get a "confirmed" address when you live in Canada?
[right][snapback]133025[/snapback][/right]

Mine is confirmed.
2001 ZTS,Aug 16 2005, 07:21 AM Wrote:If it a credit card like Master Card I imagine the "buy" and "sell" rates are likely different just like exchanging money at a bank? It shouldn't be as much as in your case though, the difference between $438 and $463 is like 5%?
[right][snapback]133019[/snapback][/right]

I believe that with Mastercard anyways the "currency conversion charge" is 2.5%. But the fact that they got him coming & going sounds a little off :blink:

NefCanuck
To get confirmed you need to have a bank account on your paypal account I do beleive. Im not sure cause I did it along time ago. Might have changed sence then.
yes to be confirmed you have to add a bank account to the paypal account
ZX5focused,Aug 16 2005, 02:41 PM Wrote:yes to be confirmed you have to add a bank account to the paypal account
[right][snapback]133071[/snapback][/right]
I started the process of "confirming" my account - they deposit 2 small amounts into your account ... you confirm the amounts indicating that you indeed are the account holder and then proceed.

I didn't go through with it though because when you read the agreement, you are also giving PayPal the right to withdraw money from your bank account without notice.

The odds of PayPal abusing that "right" is pretty slim I'm sure - but mistakes do happen. I even closed that account and opened a new one - there's no way I want an organization like PayPal to even know my account info.
I sold a stereo on ebay a few years back and it turned out to be a hacker.... lost my money and the stereo cause PayPal wouldn't insure "out of country" accounts... pffft. Only saving grace is that I won the stereo in a lottery. PayPal can lick my ass. They still have a negative account for me and have asked for the money and I tell them to fuk off :P
I'm gonna use Paypals own resolution center and see what happens. I think I'm screwed out of 23 bux though. I have spoken to the seller on the phone. He is a little surprised by all this. I am not worried about a scam at all. Paypal can lick my nuts though.
bluetoy,Aug 16 2005, 04:39 PM Wrote:I'm gonna use Paypals own resolution center and see what happens. I think I'm screwed out of 23 bux though. I have spoken to the seller on the phone. He is a little surprised by all this. I am not worried about a scam at all. Paypal can lick my nuts though.
[right][snapback]133110[/snapback][/right]

Skip the resolution center and just call them ... thats what I did with a 3 month long battle when some guy never sent me money and claimed he never got his stuff...

The phone calls were so much better then that stupid resolution center where you have to sit and wait forever till anyone does anything.
Called them 3 times already.
boo then ... what a crap company.
Update: I spoke to paypal several times. I got them to send an e-mail to the seller confirming my address.Since my address was always confirmed I think a refund is in order. Seller thought E-mail was fraud so I called him and then called pp again. This time the guy told me it was a paypal issue. Here is a cut from the E-mail I got from him.

Quote:Hello, my name is Juan and I am happy to assist you with your question
regarding your ongoing transaction with (my email address here).

At this point there is a bug on the system that is not showing the address
confirmation on Canadian Address. By the buyer request  we forward this
email to you were we was asking about the status of hes address.

Dear Steve Thomas,

Hello my name is Rocio, I will be happy to assist you with your service
request in regards to your home address. Your shipping address showing on
your PayPal account is confirmed and it reads as follows:

They are now saying that they don't send out e-mails and that there is no problem with their system. They also say that there is no possible way on this earth that I could ever be reimbursed for their error.
I think this is pretty much what happens but these jerkasses probably don't know how their system works.

For simplicity say you paid $100 USD and the dollar right now is at 1.10 exchange (its a good day)
So you pay $110 to pay the guy $100, then you get a refund. I THINK they give you back your CDN funds @ the old exchange rate so you get $110 back.

Then you pay and todays exchange rate is 1.20, so you end up paying $120 for the same $100USd transaction?

Dunno but that seems like what could have been happening?
The refund and repay were on the same day within 2 hrs of each other. Payapl has confirmed that both times exchange rate was the same. You send us funds they charge you whatever and convert it on your credit card. they refund you us funds and convert it back on your credit card. they also charge fees both ways and the credit card charges too. They should be refunding those fees and costs since they caused the problem in the first place.
Okay here's the latest. I got an e-mail from paypal. They are giving me 21 bux for some reason I'll never understand. They said they are giving me the difference between my original payment and my refund!!?? I don't understand. I explained to them over and over that the refund was agreed upon by me and the seller. I paid 388 usd and was refunded 375 usd. I repayed 375 usd. The repay is where the problems occured. For some reason they want to credit me the difference between the original amount and the refund. I don't care anymore. They are giving me 21 cdn instead of the 23 it cost me. Fine.

Next comment is not PC so Women stop reading now

I think the problem was that all the people I talked to today were women. They did not seem to grasp what I was saying. She kept refering to the user agreement and could not understand that their error cost me 23.00 in the exchange. Iam sure that was the main problem today. Once some women get something in their mind you might as well stop talking. The first woman could not even fathom that there were 2 transactions. I got to the point that I said forget the first amount and just look at the refund, compare it to the repay. Her response was "but the refund is less than what you paid" at that point I asked to speak to someone else.