FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Moving A Steam Engine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I figure some people may be interested in seeing this. You don't get to see this type of thing happen very often.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nation...article1161443/

Going to try to hit this up both nights and take lots of photos. I would love to see this piece of history being moved (not to mention steam engines make my pants tight).

If anyone is interested, I'm trying to get the exact route it will be taking to figure out the best vantage point (not to mention somewhere to park).

Need to get myself back down to the roundhouse and start volunteering again!
You can also ride on a steam engine here.

http://www.southsimcoerailway.ca/
Hey Todd. Let me know if and when you are going. I wouldn't mind getting down to see some of this. My Aunt in England works for a Steam Engine Society and I have had the pleasure of riding in a working engine on one of its runs. Here is a Link to their website.
So on my way into work this morning I stopped by the Ex to take a look at what they had done to prepare for the move. Sorry for the crappy pictures but all I had was my old camera and the conditions were not ideal. But here is what I got. Enjoy.

[Image: PICT0010.jpg]

[Image: PICT0009.jpg]

[Image: PICT0007-1.jpg]
i went to Alaska 3 years ago and had the privilege of riding on a steam powered train. soo sweet.
I used to ride on them quite often when I was smaller. At the time, the Arcade & Attica railroad was running the steamer. Its diesel now, so I just don't have the interest. Next time I go down to Scranton, PA, definately going for a ride. They run a CP steamer on excursions.

There are tons of other places as well, but just a bit too far of a drive.

Love the smell of the burning coal, then trying to get all of the cinders out of your hair from sitting in the open top car.

Kev -- Think you can send me some full size pictures of those? Would like to add them to the collection I've been building up over the years.
torradan,Jun 2 2009, 11:30 AM Wrote:I used to ride on them quite often when I was smaller.  At the time, the Arcade & Attica railroad was running the steamer.  Its diesel now, so I just don't have the interest.  Next time I go down to Scranton, PA, definately going for a ride.  They run a CP steamer on excursions. 

There are tons of other places as well, but just a bit too far of a drive.

Love the smell of the burning coal, then trying to get all of the cinders out of your hair from sitting in the open top car.

Kev -- Think you can send me some full size pictures of those?  Would like to add them to the collection I've been building up over the years.
[right][snapback]288626[/snapback][/right]

Sent to the e-mail listed on your profile from my work e-mail address.
BTW, those are full size.
hello
Canadian ST,Jun 2 2009, 11:49 AM Wrote:hello
[right][snapback]288635[/snapback][/right]

Hey, whats up? :lol:
Thank you muchly! I totally forgot I still had that address in use. Glad I remembered the password.
another steam train right here in the Ottawa valley:

http://www.trainavapeur.ca/

Been on it with the gf. Took a private booth also.
Nice way to spend a Saturday.
Got an update on this this morning if anyone was interested in watching in the wee hours of the morning:

Quote:As of today this is the plan according to the movers, I wonder if it ever will move.

- The tender will go to the museum  Wed at midnight. It will take about 2 hrs. The moving crew will arrive around 11pm.
- Loco - 1st move - On Fri at around noon the loco will be re-located in the parking lot close to Princes' Gates. This is so that it can be turned & clear the way for the construction of the bleachers for the car race. It will be towed backwards (a CNR cab-forward?)
- Loco - 2nd move -  Next Tues night at midnight the loco will go through the Gates & proceed to the museum. It will travel eastbound on part of the westbound lanes of Lakeshore Blvd. This will take about 2 hours. the crew will then spend the next 2-3 days lowering the trailer & finally moving the loco onto the museum track.

At least it makes for not having to be up with the vampires 2 days in a row.

Will keep posted on any more changes that take place.
Ok uploading all the photos to photobucket now, but its taking forever. Got 83 total. Sort of overkill, but thats after pruning it down from 110.

Things went pretty smooth, except that we didn't know we'd have to wait for 1:30 for streetcar service to shut down because they had to lift the wires to pass under. Only took them about 20 minutes to get to the roundhouse.. they were booking pretty quick (tender is the lightest part).

The locomotive still seems to be a bit in limbo as engineers and stuff need to check the road structure and all that stuff to make sure it won't cause any problems.

I ended up leaving the roundhouse at about 4:30, and they still had to unchain the tender, put the temporary tracks up to the flatbed and roll it off. Was too cold and tired to stay any longer.

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/to...13_Tender/
Damn you, no facebook at work. Photobuket them all.
fixed the link, now points to photobucket. dunno why the facebook one didn't work, said it could be shared with non-facebookers.. ah well.