FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Any Good Professions Out There?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
as i sit here laid off from deere, being 20 and seeing that the company i work for will pay for my education, im thinking about maybe going back to school or something to get a better job. But i don't know what to go for... anybody got any suggestions? I got no clue what go to for...
You could do what i do....Be an Aviation Systems Technician. Basically a fancy word for grease monkey on CF-18 Fighter Jets.

Good money...lots of perks.....okay okay so you have to wear a uniform and do a little marching around once and a while..but..MEH....it's a cool job.
Save up as much money as you can, and when you have enough, start something of your own. Take business management courses/accounting courses and learn as much as you can to maintain a place of your own
successful and self-employed would be awesome...

but if that's not your thing, and if you have the desire and knack for it...commissioned sales is a decent field.

in many industries, the top salespeople and account managers often make more than their managers and even some execs...and average performers still do well. I see it as reasonably safe too...the company can do an easy cost-expense calculation on you based upon how much you sell...i.e. if you make the company money, you are likely going to have a job :)
I say take a month or two off. Enjoy it while you can.

Head to the rigs or the mines for a few months. Make some serious cash then take another month off ;)
ZX3TUNR,Aug 15 2005, 02:07 AM Wrote:Head to the rigs or the mines for a few months. Make some serious cash then take another month off ;)
[right][snapback]132732[/snapback][/right]

Problem with the mines is you need proper training, lots of training. But the need for good miners is big. I know that's what we're looking for at our office.

And yeah, the pay is good... :D
Stay out of Advertising.
[Image: prostitute-pete.jpg]

how well do you look in a short skirt??
Harvard business school says evaluate the following five areas when considering a new opportunity.

1) The company - are they credible, solid history, have 3rd party recognition etc...
2) Need/Marketplace - is there a need in the marketplace, who is the target market, what trends are evident etc...
3) Product - does the product fill the need, affordable to market etc...
4) Compensation - how well do you get paid, residual income?, how often do you get paid etc...
5) Timing - is the company/product positioned for growth, is there competition, market saturation, personal timing (life) etc...

This will give you a good basis for determining a good opportunity. I think the stat is something like 4 of 5 new businesses fail in the first couple years.

Carey