FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Engine Stutter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My wife's ZX3 has been working great until a few days ago. When you first start it, you need to keep the gas on a bit or the rpm's drop really low. It seems to take more gas the first while and when you are going down the road, it seems as if something kicks in - maybe a plug is going? -- and then it runs fine again.

There are new plugs, wires, and the MAf cleaned about 10K ago. I have checked for loose wires.

Also, no check engine light coming on.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Peter
check my thread titled ZX3tunrs focus problems

What year i syour focus. If its older then 2003 check and see if you had the fuel pump recall.

If you changed the plugs and wires then it ccould be MAF or DPFE.

Do the DPFE tests and see if your DPFE is gone. During the test if your car drives better then you know its the DPFE.

http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=80

If not check the MAF next. Darkpuppet mentions it.
DPFE case # 750.000
ANTHONYD,Aug 13 2005, 07:17 AM Wrote:DPFE case # 750.000
[right][snapback]132427[/snapback][/right]
make that case #751.0000

did the first step step on focushacks and my dpfe is definitely on its way out the door!
therefore im driving around wiht a golf tee under my hood til i can get it in for service.
that and my plugs werent in good condition, i replaced them wiht NGK LASER Platinums. these were the only decent quality plugs that i had at work so i think i should be good.
lol I also used a gold tee when i did the test
Thanks for the info.

Today the car ran great all day. When it starts to stutter again I will try the tests posted for the DPFE.

Is the DPFE available only from Ford? How much?

BTW - it is a 2000 model.

Peter
yamin,Aug 13 2005, 10:02 PM Wrote:Thanks for the info.

Today the car ran great all day. When it starts to stutter again I will try the tests posted for the DPFE.

Is the DPFE available only from Ford? How much?

BTW - it is a 2000 model.

Peter
[right][snapback]132562[/snapback][/right]
i believe its covered undera an extended warranty for the part?? not sure though
Does anyone know if this is covered under an extended warranty? The car has 110K on it now.

Also, last night it would barely start and then would idle at around 500 rpm. I tried pinching the hose to the EGR valve (it was on tight and I didn't have much time) but it did not make a difference. I checked the wires to the MAF but made no difference.

After a bit, it started to run better but would then rev high at idle or when shifting. The CEL has finally come on so I will take it to the dealer.

Any comments on the above? Still likely the DPFE?

Thanks, Peter
Earlier focus used the old style DPFE sensors. If you upgrade to the newer DPFE like on the 2003's you should be fine. There may even be a newer one out now.
fuel rail mounting hole on intake manifold broke off :P
check for water if your spark plugs :rolleyes: