FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Pop Goes My Delta
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
LOL every car that I have ever boosted I have blown up at some point. Last night well this morning I was coming home from the Airport in Buffalo crossed the boarder and found an empty HWY. Couldn't resist seeing just how fast the car would go. 120 - 130 still pulling hard 140 - 145 - 150 BANG. Motor dies smoke starts filling the inside of the car I pull off to the side of HWY knowing exactly what happened.

I called the flat bed and had the car delivered to my shop LOL when I got back this morning the side and roof of the car was covered in oil. I jacked up the car and there is a big hole in the back of the block and a crack that runs all the way from the head down to the oil pan. I almost split the entire motor in half! LOL

I just had a 7" lower pully installed with a retune and I guess I found the limit of the stock rods 257HP was pretty close anyway. My high speed run was obviously just too much.

Now the question do I build a new motor or do I just install a stock long block? If I do build a new motor I’m going to swap my alpine blower for a Ripp Vortec blower that kit + a built motor will take me to over 350HP. But it’s 12G rather than just 3 for another motor. Considering that I paid just $14K for the car spending 12K on a motor well that’s a bit silly but I would have a genuine 150MPH+ 12sec daily driver. Hmmmm

I may just for fun take it back to Hyundai and ask if they will warranty it. LOL :lol:
bye bye tibby.
LMAO s**t that didn't take long
Raine,Aug 12 2005, 08:32 PM Wrote:LMAO s**t that didn't take long
[right][snapback]132371[/snapback][/right]

No kidding eh LOL 4 months isn't that bad my first XR only took me 3 weeks to break a piston in half.
have any pics? a bit curious to see the actual damage
TOLD YA!

Should have listened to me and bought a nice WRX wagon. ;) No unscheduled maintenance since I bought it more than two years and 35,000km ago. It's all right there out of the box. Only mods are monitoring, bottom protection and wheels yet I'm completely happy.

When your car blew at 150 I assume that was that km/hr? what gear? Krickee, between you me, P-51 and anyone else with a WRX 150km/hr+ happens by accident multiple times daily, you honestlty have to concentrate on not speeding. IT IS REALLY HARD TO DO.

I "stretched the legs" a couple months ago up-hill by the Ford plant on the QEW by and then suddenly realized that I was going 192 km/hr, there was much more to go. It felt like 120 to me? It's like that Dutch beer commercial: SMOOD. In 2-1/2 years I still don't know how fast it goes.

Fish & Chips again anytime soon? You're going for a ride and they are currently resurfacing EastPort Drive BTW. ;)
Wow :blink: I'd love to see pics of the vic... that must have been a spectacular explosion...

But I gotta say it...

:postpics:

NefCanuck
Sorry about the tibby but, Simon! you friggin rule...

Do ol' microbunny a favor and go back to the hyundai shop....and post the details... :)
Euro Ford Fan,Aug 12 2005, 09:02 PM Wrote:LOL every car that I have ever boosted I have blown up at some point.  Last night well this morning I was coming home from the Airport in Buffalo crossed the boarder and found an empty HWY.  Couldn't resist seeing just how fast the car would go.  120 - 130 still pulling hard 140 - 145 - 150 BANG.  Motor dies smoke starts filling the inside of the car I pull off to the side of HWY knowing exactly what happened.

I called the flat bed and had the car delivered to my shop LOL when I got back this morning the side and roof of the car was covered in oil.  I jacked up the car and there is a big hole in the back of the block and a crack that runs all the way from the head down to the oil pan.  I almost split the entire motor in half! LOL

I just had a 7" lower pully installed with a retune and I guess I found the limit of the stock rods 257HP was pretty close anyway.  My high speed run was obviously just too much.

Now the question do I build a new motor or do I just install a stock long block?  If I do build a new motor I’m going to swap my alpine blower for a Ripp Vortec blower that kit + a built motor will take me to over 350HP.  But it’s 12G rather than just 3 for another motor.  Considering that I paid just $14K for the car spending 12K on a motor well that’s a bit silly but I would have a genuine 150MPH+ 12sec daily driver. Hmmmm

I may just for fun take it back to Hyundai and ask if they will warranty it. LOL  :lol:
[right][snapback]132366[/snapback][/right]

So how much would a whoop-see of this magnatude cost to have fixed????
Ok, I'm a little out of the loop here... you have a Tiburon, I got that part. And it's supercharged? What kit? What did you do for tuning?
Yep sold the IS300 and my ZR2 Sonama and bought a 03 GTV6 Tib as a run around back in Feb but liked it so much that I haven't bothered looking for anything else. I've been running a stage 3 Alpine Supercharger kit since April. It uses an M63 roots blower with an internal water intercooler ported/polished NGM stg 2 intake, NGM 440cc injectors, NGM fuel tuner, stg 2 fuel rails and an AEM intake. The fuel tuner is really just a mafterburner not great but it give access to all the areas required and the both the base and the upgraded tune which came with my 2.75" upper and 7" lower was as the guys at Tag said just about perfect. With a 12:1 A/F all the way across making 257 WHP 223 TQ I was pertty happy.

150 KPH LOL funny guy come on MPH but I checked my GPS this morning and last recorded top speed was only 142MPH so I guess my tach is off just a bit. In stock form the car loved to cruise at 100-110 MPH as much as my IS300 it got a bit unsettled around 120MPH but since I put my coilovers on it settled it down and was smooth until around 130 Which up to Friday morning as the fastest I had gone this time it was hang on and see what happens.

*** Disclaimer I only attempted that speed in the middle of the night on a perfectly flat and smooth stretch of HWY which I have driven 1000 times. ***

As for pictures they are coming the motor will be out next week so I'll post up all the horrible picks of the damage. As for just replacing the motor that seems like the way I will go since I can get a used complete motor with 12,000KM on it for just $2200+ freight.
Euro Ford Fan,Aug 13 2005, 09:19 AM Wrote:150 KPH LOL funny guy come on MPH ...................... I can get a used complete motor with 12,000KM on it for just $2200+ freight.
[right][snapback]132464[/snapback][/right]
OK that MPH makes more sense. I couldn't figure out how you could possibly blow it up at Focus like speeds?

Sounds like the used motor is the way to go.