FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Re-oiling A Filter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
ok I didn't want to jack zx3tuner's thread so I made my own

how does one safely and properly re-oil their K&N style filter? I've never had a problem before but I don't want to start now cause the focus seems like a high maintaince girlfriend. Would oiling it and letting it sit for a few hours help at all? or not putting gobs of oil?
Gently tap out filter to remove large obstructiuons, dust bees, bugs, leaves etc.

Spray with detergent liberally.

Rinse gently under warm water. FROM INSIDE CONE TO OUT.

LET THE WATER GO FROM THE INSIDE OF THE CONE THROUGH TO THE OUTSIDE.

Let dry FOR A LONG TIME.

Spray oil liberally in a top to bottom motion soaking through.

Let sit to drip.

When access has dripped off, install.
ANTHONYD,Aug 12 2005, 10:52 AM Wrote:Gently tap out filter to remove large obstructiuons, dust bees, bugs, leaves etc.

Spray with detergent liberally.

Rinse gently under warm water. FROM INSIDE CONE TO OUT.

LET THE WATER GO FROM THE INSIDE OF THE CONE THROUGH TO THE OUTSIDE.

Let dry FOR A LONG TIME.

Spray oil liberally in a top to bottom motion soaking through.

Let sit to drip.

When access has dripped off, install.
[right][snapback]132188[/snapback][/right]
as copied exactly off the K&N box/bottle
The only thing I might add is don't spray the inside of the filter.
meford4u,Aug 12 2005, 11:12 AM Wrote:The only thing I might add is don't spray the inside of the filter.
[right][snapback]132225[/snapback][/right]

UM ya :blink: aerosol inside mmmm gettin high
That reminds me... it's time to reoil mine
mine too
20 years with K&N speaking:

Some camps believe that the best thing for K&N panel filters is to get a baking tray, coat a tray with K&N oil and then place the filter intake side face down in it and then let the filter (cotton) decide how much is the right amount to absorb.

When meaford mentioned not spraying the exhaust side he meant oil from it could coat your MAF sensor and fault it.

Drying is VERY important. Run a paper a filter for a week after cleaning and before applying new oil while it dries out.

I've been using K&N's since the 80's on my bike and I needed a cone for each cylinder, four cones total.

For K&N spray oil, many thin coats is better than one soaker. Just like paint.

In the case of K&N's there is such thing as "over-maintenance" BTW. You can go years between cleanings. I've cleaned the Focus K&N twice in 5 years and that is OCD.
2001 ZTS,Aug 12 2005, 11:22 PM Wrote:20 years with K&N speaking:

Some camps believe that the best thing for K&N panel filters is to get a baking tray, coat a tray with K&N oil and then place the filter intake side face down in it and then let the filter (cotton) decide how much is the right amount to absorb.

When meaford mentioned not spraying the exhaust side he meant oil from it could coat your MAF sensor and fault it.

Drying is VERY important. Run a paper a filter for a week after cleaning and before applying new oil while it dries out. 

I've been using K&N's since the 80's on my bike and I needed a cone for each cylinder, four cones total.

For K&N spray oil, many thin coats is better than one soaker. Just like paint.

In the case of K&N's there is such thing as "over-maintenance" BTW. You can go years between cleanings. I've cleaned the Focus K&N twice in 5 years and that is OCD.
[right][snapback]132390[/snapback][/right]

\

Yes!

For panel filters, A baking tray is the way togo.

For the cones.....short thin coats.