FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Looking At A Winter Beater, Any Tips?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

01-yellow-ZX3

I'm going to look at a '96 Cavalier tomorrow for my potential winter beater.

The car is super cheap, AC, Auto, 200kms, 4 door (cheap insurance), safetied, runs nicely.

One problem the owner told me about is that it overheats as it is. The fan works, but it overheats. It could be a thermostat problem, but if its not - how significant could this problem be?

Besides things like battery, tires, brakes - what other things should I look into?

Would a compression test be worth my while?

Unfortunately its currently not on the road, so I won't be able to drive it tomorrow to check things like tranny and what not.

Thanks in advance.
Cavaliers are known for bad headgaskets. see if it has been replaced because that will make the car overheat.
JUNK
[Image: 200_QUATTRO.jpg]

or anything else AWD don't cheap out for another FWD car
I think you'd look good in an STi.
My favourite winter car is a 4cyl stang 5spd. Got through everything with that car.... i miss it
the focus makes a good winter car...
Hey Evan, buy my old beater...84 Buick Century, 230000km, interior warmer, dead reliable, just needs rear shock and mounts to safety. $400!

01-yellow-ZX3

BradfordZX3,Aug 12 2005, 05:26 AM Wrote:Cavaliers are known for bad headgaskets. see if it has been replaced because that will make the car overheat.
[right][snapback]132099[/snapback][/right]

Ah, excellent, thank you very much!
Just wondering the status of the Cavalier. I have owned five in life. they are great reliable cars. I f you have any more problems I can probably help you

01-yellow-ZX3

Haven't gone to take a look at it yet, as I can't get ahold of the guy.

I hear the headgasket replacement can be a costly repair bill if the head has to be machine etc. I definitely don't want to get into something like that.