FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Zx3tunr Focus Probs. Update 08-12-05
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So I posted a while ago about this. Been about 2-3 months ago where my car just all of a sudden started running like absolute s**t. Worse then s**t. No CEL. I took the car to Ford and left it with them for a day. Came back hoping my car would be fixed and they told me the mecahnic couldnt find anything and becuase I didnt have a CEL they couldnt work off anything. s**t.

I also brought up the DPFE sensor they looked at me like I was stupid. They blamed everything on the header and exahust and said all I had was a leak and the DPFE had nothing to do with the exhuast. Well to my understanding the DPFE reads fromt he EGR valve witch is part of the exhaust so wtf is ford talking about.

So the mean time i been wasting my time checking for vacuum leaks. I replaced every dam gasket and seal. Removed my entire exahust put in new gaskets + RTV and even welded it shut in some spots and put in a Focus SPort tune. Still crap and no CEL.

So I removed every mod on my car and as of now just have my magnaflow on, flex and race header and put the stock tune back in. I replaced the fuel filter, new stock plugs and wires. I also picked up a new PCV valve and eveything. Still junk and no god dam CEL.

Its werid to say but every day I start my car Im hoping the little engine light comes on this way I have soemthing to go off of.

Well today on the way to work starting up in 1st was terrible. People prolly thought I couldnt drive. All you would here it putt putt and no power at all once I hit 2000-3000 RPM. It does this in every gear. High end power is good but anything low while in normal driving speeds its just brutal.

Enough so I called Ford and told the service manager I want to make an appointment. He was allready aware of the situation from when I brought the car in before but again he told me they cant do much unless I have a CEL and becuase I have modded my car I voided alot of my warranty. I replied I put everything back to stock and he didnt comment on that.

I could just go buy a DPFE sensor and put it on but they dont go cheap and will this really solve it. Who knows. Car is 2003 with 25,000km on it still have warranty and Ford is pissing me off. Every time I go there they just think im stupid. The one mechanic even mentioned its a focus of course its slow. God dam.

So today I did one of the DPFE tests posted on focushacks and I still ran like s**t and still no CEL. Now im running out of ideas.

Any way very pissed off about everything I went to the Acura dealor and I find out this week early next week if the focus is gone and replaced with a RSX Type S. Everything would be going back to stock if the deals go threw. I also would need my mom to sign the paper since she is the co signer on the focus and shes not to happy about the idea at all. This is more or less my way of saying fack you ford if I do get the car. My dad had similar issues with the dealor when he had his Sport Track and becuase of that he moved to Pontiac.

I would really like the focus to get fixed and thats what i am hoping for.

01-yellow-ZX3

Sorry to hear your dealer is fuken retarded Jay.

Dirty MAFS maybe? Or a TPS gone bad?

Either way, I'd definitely sleep on the idea of trading your car in on a RSX. :blink:

Trust me, I've been there done that. I've been pissed off with my dealer before, and just wanted to scrap the ol Ford right then and there. But after a few days I came to my senses and realized that with a simple switch of Ford dealerships, my problems were fixed.
This may sound stupid, but have you tried dumping some gasline antifreeze in the tank? Sounds a lot like water in the gas. Also, dump in some fuel injector cleaner. Who knows, you might have just had a really bad batch of gas.
Been threw 6 bottles of injector cleaner and I put engien antifreeze is on a regulat basis.
ZX3TUNR,Aug 11 2005, 08:40 AM Wrote:Been threw 6 bottles of injector cleaner and I put engien antifreeze is on a regulat basis.
[right][snapback]131458[/snapback][/right]

Talk to DP. Your symptoms sound like a bad MAF wiring harness.

Does this happen whenever you 1st step on the gas?
Flofocus,Aug 11 2005, 05:45 AM Wrote:
ZX3TUNR,Aug 11 2005, 08:40 AM Wrote:Been threw 6 bottles of injector cleaner and I put engien antifreeze is on a regulat basis.

[right][snapback]131461[/snapback][/right]

thing is everything is stock and i have never touched the maf harness. Its an idea thow and will look into iit also. When you 1st start its ok but rigth as soon as you get the car up to 3000 rpms the car stumbles really bad and shakes.
ZX3TUNR,Aug 11 2005, 08:52 AM Wrote:
Flofocus,Aug 11 2005, 05:45 AM Wrote:

[right][snapback]131461[/snapback][/right]

thing is everything is stock and i have never touched the maf harness. Its an idea thow and will look into iit also. When you 1st start its ok but rigth as soon as you get the car up to 3000 rpms the car stumbles really bad and shakes.
[right][snapback]131463[/snapback][/right]

That doesnt mean ANYTHING Jay.

Ford stock parts Suck s**t, easy as dat.

Ask them to take a look, I know I had to resoulder 1 connection on my MAF harness this week after reading DP's thread. The wire was actually coming right out of the harness. I also never touched my harness either. :huh:
really?

Whats the topic title called for DP's thread? I must of missed that one.
ZX3TUNR,Aug 11 2005, 09:05 AM Wrote:really?

Whats the topic title called for DP's thread? I must of missed that one.
[right][snapback]131469[/snapback][/right]

Something along the line sof "It wasnt my tune!"
Sounds like a misfire....

Or maybe a short of some sort.....

possibly vaccum????
sell me your lambo door hinges if you get the type s
try unplugging your MAF and see if it runs the same craptasticness.

if so, you can check the continuity of the MAF by testing continuity of each pair of pins (2 outer, 2 inner, etc..)... should be some resistance, but nothing too crazy. I can't remember what I got out of my stock MAF when I tested it, but if I can get my multimeter back, I'll test it again and let you know.

if the car drives the same without the MAF plugged in and the MAF turns out fine, then it could be a wiring issue... which cost me about $500 to fix.

Also, the dealership noticed that my fuel trims were EXTREME, maxing out at 25% at times (it should have thrown a cel, but with a custom tune, it doesn't for some reason)...

so if the MAF checks out, and the wiring checks out, try resetting your trims... you car may have picked up bad habbits from somewhere... and then checking to see if they go extreme again. Is your MAF in the stock housing? putting it in an aftermarket housing like AEM that is slightly larger could cause your learned fuel trims to top out, leading to the car running in open loop all the time for craptastic performance.

hope that helps.
I dont know what you have done to your car so i have to ask you some stuff. this happened to me while back and it was similar to what you are telling.

Did u ever extend your MAF wires? you might of done this if you ever installed CAI or anything that required you to extend the wires. I had done this and i totally forgot that i had. So everytime it was moist or rainy it would do something similar to your. anyways after gooing to the dealer so many time they finally figure it out and they charege me 800.00 to fix it. it was my fault so i didnt have anything to say. So goodluck and give it a try it might just be the answer.

Lates Mo

mo_focus,Aug 11 2005, 11:00 AM Wrote:I dont know what you have done to your car so i have to ask you some stuff. this happened to me while back and it was similar to what you are telling.

Did u ever extend your MAF wires? you might of done this if you ever installed CAI or anything that required you to extend the wires. I had done this and i totally forgot that i had. So everytime it was moist or rainy it would do something similar to your. anyways after gooing to the dealer so many time they finally figure it out and they charege me 800.00 to fix it. it was my fault so i didnt have anything to say. So goodluck and give it a try it might just be the answer.

Lates Mo
[right][snapback]131531[/snapback][/right]

What did they fix for $800? :huh:
Well engine and performance wise every thing is back to stock. I did have a CAI installed a while ago and never ran into any problems. Put it back to a short ram and everything was good. Left the car as it was then just started getting issues out of no where. Even with 2 of my Focus Sport tunes it still runs like crap.

Curious thow. I do have the hard wired o2 cheater still installed on my 2nd o2 sensor. Would this prevent a DPFE cel to come on?
ZX3TUNR,Aug 11 2005, 11:35 AM Wrote:Well engine and performance wise every thing is back to stock. I did have a CAI installed a while ago and never ran into any problems. Put it back to a short ram and everything was good. Left the car as it was then just started getting issues out of no where. Even with 2 of my Focus Sport tunes it still runs like crap.

Curious thow. I do have the hard wired o2 cheater still installed on my 2nd o2 sensor. Would this  prevent a DPFE cel to come on?
[right][snapback]131556[/snapback][/right]

no, the cheater shouldn't affect the DPFE in any regards.

you might want to put the stock tune back in while you're troubleshooting this... like I said, I should have been throwing a cel for my insane trims, but the custom tune didn't. really makes me wonder what else I could be missing...
stock tune has been back in for about a month.
darkpuppet,Aug 11 2005, 11:43 AM Wrote:I should have been throwing a cel for my insane trims, but the custom tune didn't.  really makes me wonder what else I could be missing...
[right][snapback]131562[/snapback][/right]

No s**t <_<
mo_focus,Aug 11 2005, 03:00 PM Wrote:I dont know what you have done to your car so i have to ask you some stuff. this happened to me while back and it was similar to what you are telling.

Lates Mo
ohh it wasnt the fact the parts cost that much, the problem was that they spent more then a week trying to fix the problem and since i had their loaner and it was my fault they charged me for labour only. So i guess its not that bad. They even cut a new Key thinking that would of been the case. Also i had the loaner which went camping with, so if u add all the benefits i got out of it its not that bad. Originally they wanted over 2K before they could release the car back to me.

mo_focus,Aug 11 2005, 02:52 PM Wrote:
mo_focus,Aug 11 2005, 03:00 PM Wrote:I dont know what you have done to your car so i have to ask you some stuff. this happened to me while back and it was similar to what you are telling.

Lates Mo
ohh it wasnt the fact the parts cost that much, the problem was that they spent more then a week trying to fix the problem and since i had their loaner and it was my fault they charged me for labour only. So i guess its not that bad. They even cut a new Key thinking that would of been the case. Also i had the loaner which went camping with, so if u add all the benefits i got out of it its not that bad. Originally they wanted over 2K before they could release the car back to me.
[right][snapback]131759[/snapback][/right]

What did they fix though?
Pages: 1 2 3