FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Internet Connection
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey,

I have a question for anyone whos a comp. wiz...cuz im not...=0(

Alright well at the end of the month im moving to the boonies...yes! middle of nowhere...scary...but I dont think Sympatico nor Rogers internet is available on this location...so the only way to go is dial up right?!?!? We have Bell Express Vu Is it possible to get the internet thru a Dish signal?

Anywayz...if anyone is familiar with the regioon im moving near Horseshoe Valley Resort.

I dont wanna go dial-up...but if theres no other options...:(
Melanie_L,Aug 8 2005, 10:26 AM Wrote:Hey,

Alright well at the end of the month im moving to the boonies...yes! middle of nowhere...scary...but I dont think Sympatico nor Rogers internet is available on this location...so the only way to go is dial up right?!?!? We have Bell Express Vu Is it possible to get the internet thru a Dish signal?

Anywayz...if anyone is familiar with the regioon im moving near Horseshoe Valley Resort.

[right][snapback]129304[/snapback][/right]

SOLUTION: DON'T MOVE. tada....problem solved.
I'm not a techy...but i think you actually can do internet through your tv/satellite...

darkpuppet, anthony, nos....

guru's??
Slimsride,Aug 8 2005, 11:28 AM Wrote:

[right][snapback]129307[/snapback][/right]

Yeah...not moving by choice...I just dont have the money to afford rent around here in barrie on my own its retarded...so waiting at least another 8-10 months to save up then moving out
Melanie_L,Aug 8 2005, 10:31 AM Wrote:

Yeah...not moving by choice...I just dont have the money to afford rent around here in barrie on my own its retarded...so waiting at least another 8-10 months to save up then moving out
[right][snapback]129311[/snapback][/right]

Barrie? sweet...i partied soooo hard there when i was posted to Borden. ahhhh, the good old days of Getting loaded, then walking back to base..now dem's were good times
Slimsride,Aug 8 2005, 11:33 AM Wrote:

Barrie? sweet...i partied soooo hard there when i was posted to Borden. ahhhh, the good old days of Getting loaded, then walking back to base..now dem's were good times
[right][snapback]129313[/snapback][/right]

:rolleyes: Walking from...Barrie to Borden!??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????you nuts?
YES!!!! you can get sat-net. But hey for that sat-net costs you wont be able to keep fixing your focus. lol
Check with Bell as we do have many wireless highspeed options other than Sat for our rural customers.

And yes you will be able to get a connection of up to *I think* 700K with Satelite. This will be on dowload only, upload on satelite will work threw your phone connection (dial-up).
Okay Thanks

How does the whole thing work when youre only and you can see if someone is calling you or something???
Melanie_L,Aug 8 2005, 10:34 AM Wrote:
Slimsride,Aug 8 2005, 11:33 AM Wrote:

[right][snapback]129313[/snapback][/right]

:rolleyes: Walking from...Barrie to Borden!??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????you nuts?
[right][snapback]129314[/snapback][/right]

yes apparently so...hahhaha, well the way i see it is...i had to do a 13km march with a ruksack full of s**t on my back at one time, that was easy...so about the same distance with nothing was cake...well, kinda...had to factor in the stumbling and falling asleep in the ditch a few times, and the fact its friggin' dark on that road and all the furry little creatures that like to come see what's lying in their ditch and take a sniff to see if yer dead...lets see, left at about 3:30am...back in bed by 8...bwaahhahahahahha...good thing it was saturday... come to think about it...why didn't i just stick out my thumb?...hmmm, hindsight is 20-20..oh well
Sat net is crap. Cable ISPs are always putting signal boosters out there, and you're double-lucky if you live near a fiber pipe that's running from major city center to city center.

Check with Cogeco via phone or online to see what's available - http://www.cogeco.ca
we are with compusolve
lots of companies have highspeed now...

even sprint was going to launch dsl
yeah, DSL will be limited at best, but check with the cable companies.. if there's cable out there, there is very likely a flavour of highspeed.

I'm assuming that they have 2 way amplifiers in use of course...

otherwise, highspeed is bloody expensive, but still possible (ISDN, T1, Satellite, etc).
You can try to see if your area is capable of getting Cable or DSL internet, but if that area is served by an independant Telco or Cableco, then you may be s**t out of luck because small ind. telecos do not necessarily have the proper backbone to provide internet to local neighbourhoods, and your distance from the CO may exceed the maximum allowable. You can also try Look Wireless internet, basically using wireless TV waives from a direct line of site off a local Look repeator, or you can try to see if there is any WIFI hotzones covering the area, or lastly, your probaly best option will be a wireless GPRS/EDGE connection to the Rogers & Fido GSM network. A fido data plan with unlimited GPRS and an edge capable phone or PC card hooked to your computer can get an uninterupted stream of up to 150k and up when using 850mhz and locked onto a Rogers tower.

Also, take a look at Inukshuk.ca, another Rogers owned Wireless Internet Company!
you should be fine with sympatico in that area .. i'm about 20 mins from there, in Elmvale and i was supprised to find out that sympatico was an option for me here.

my god does sympatico tech support ever suck though
Melanie_L,Aug 8 2005, 12:26 PM Wrote:Hey,

Bell Sympatico DSL might very well be possible even "out in the boonies" I know for a fact that Bell has a stated goal of making every area they service DSL capeable. You should check with them. I've been on DSL since '98 (In a major urban centre admittedly) and have only lost my connection for a serious amount of time maybe a half dozen times (I define serious as lasting a day or more)

Dunno if cable internet is an option but personally having seen a big player like Rogers absolutely muff things constantly and have horrific CS, I'd be frightened as to what a smaller cable co. is like.

NefCanuck
sympatico (Bellus) is only an option for you if the local telco has installed a FTTN (Fibre To Tranfer Node) that will decrease the distance from your house to the local CO by using underground fibers connected to a common Node box instead of twisted pairs which has length limitation. I'm still waiting for my area to implement FTTN, if not, I'll go with Rogers @Home Cable for my internet needs.
paolo,Aug 8 2005, 08:22 PM Wrote:sympatico (Bellus) is only an option for you if the local telco has installed a FTTN (Fibre To Tranfer Node) that will decrease the distance from your house to the local CO by using underground fibers connected to a common Node box instead of twisted pairs which has length limitation. I'm still waiting for my area to implement FTTN  if not, I'll go with Rogers @Home Cable for my internet needs.
[right][snapback]129715[/snapback][/right]

AND WITH THAT SAID, E=MC2, AND THE ROOT OF PIE IS.........
paolo,Aug 8 2005, 10:22 PM Wrote:sympatico (Bellus) is only an option for you if the local telco has installed a FTTN (Fibre To Tranfer Node) that will decrease the distance from your house to the local CO by using underground fibers connected to a common Node box instead of twisted pairs which has length limitation.  I'm still waiting for my area to implement FTTN, if not, I'll go with Rogers @Home Cable for my internet needs.
[right][snapback]129715[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, and reducing the distance over twisted pair is always a good idea. Especially when Bell sells you a T1 circuit that "never goes down" and it then goes down more often than Monica Lewinsky at a Bill Clinton lookalike contest. :rolleyes:

DSL is for people that want to actually wait to upload things. They've changed the bandwidth restrictions, but now they're much closer to the theoretical limit of ADSL over single twisted-pair copper connections.

A single T1 over PairGain is 1.5Mbps in each direction for a reason, and that's frame relay, same as ADSL is between you and the DSLAM.

It's no wonder the in-law's DSL times out nicely every hour or two in Garson :lol:

Bell has oversold the service. HUGE.
Pages: 1 2