FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: So, Passed A Ford Gt.... On Track!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So, for all the chumps ;) who didn't make it out to Shannonville this weekend, you missed a good time. Highlight of the day for me was passing a Ford GT driven by an instructor. They were giving rides for $40 for a couple laps, and I caught up to and passed him. Actually I caught him, and he didn't let me pass for over a lap, so I had to ride his ass pretty good. Almost rammed him a couple times cause he got on the brakes way earlier than I'm used to.

I'm sure he wasn't getting 100% out of it because of the passengers, but still. It's a GT40! The one amazing thing was seeing waves off heat pouring off the back going down the straight. That beast makes a lot of heat! Think about seeing heat waves coming off a car doing 160.

Overall the day was pretty good. Weather was great, hot but not TOOO hot. Not many Foci on track (ahem). My intercooler worked great, barely got warm after a whole session. Corded my R comps so they're done. Passed some Mustangs and Cobras... I only got passed by one car the whole time, a completely gutted Mazdaspeed Protege, but I caught him up again and got him.

GapBoy was there organizing, thanks! And I think BrooksZX3 and... sorry forget the other guy showed up.

My car is a monster now with the intercooler. The Focus NEEDS 200+ hp to make the chassis work. It finally has enough power to work it all the way around the track. It used to be a game of "how much momentum can you conserve". Now it's just simply "How fast can you go?"
Sounds like an awesome event. Glad you had a good time :)
what car were you driving p-51?? thats pretty impressive!!
FociPhil,Aug 7 2005, 10:05 PM Wrote:what car were you driving p-51?? thats pretty impressive!!
[right][snapback]129010[/snapback][/right]

Duh, his Focus.
2001 ZTS,Aug 8 2005, 03:32 AM Wrote:
FociPhil,Aug 7 2005, 10:05 PM Wrote:what car were you driving p-51?? thats pretty impressive!!

Duh, his Focus.
[right][snapback]129027[/snapback][/right]

seriously, i thought you didnt have a focus anymore? thats a pretty quick focus...
FociPhil,Aug 8 2005, 03:43 AM Wrote:
2001 ZTS,Aug 8 2005, 03:32 AM Wrote:

Duh, his Focus.
[right][snapback]129027[/snapback][/right]

seriously, i thought you didnt have a focus anymore? thats a pretty quick focus...
[right][snapback]129040[/snapback][/right]

It's all in the setup. First of all I am a pretty decent driver. But the Focus is a very easy car to drive very fast. It's so forgiving, it just needs more power, and the right suspension setup.

BTW, I also got 2ndFTD at the autocross at Jetfest, by a lot. Me and this other guy battled it out to 51.4 seconds to my 51.6. Next fastest was the Powerworks car at 54.something. TurboTom ran 56's? The RS8 that everbody is always drooling over ran 57's. I've always said that thing is stupid.
I wish I had more money.. I'd love to go racing...

sounds like too much fun.
:postpics:
Correct me if IM wrong but I think P-51 just added more toys to his turbo setup.
ANTHONYD,Aug 8 2005, 12:51 PM Wrote::postpics:
[right][snapback]129106[/snapback][/right]

Thats what im saying, i wanna see this beast!!
Rob, how much boost are you running in that thing now?
Yes, I just put the A/W intercooler in finally. Makes a HUUUUUGE difference on track. And I'm running about 9.5psi. I'm not sure how high I can go. I don't want the turbo to go cablooie. :ph34r:

[Image: Intercooler18.jpg]

I don't have any pics, but maybe GapBoy or BrooksZX3 do?
wow, thats a pretty substansial looking charge pipe
scoobasteve,Aug 8 2005, 10:40 PM Wrote:wow, thats a pretty substansial looking charge pipe
[right][snapback]129630[/snapback][/right]

It was necessitated more because of the size of the outlet of the intercooler, and the TB. There was no point necking down to 2" then right back up to 3" again.

There are only about 20" of total piping length in the whole thing, so not much volume.
yeah, I don't have any still shots of your car dood, but I have a couple of short video's of you coming down the front straight... one is when you're BLASTING past a stang - remember guys, he was running in the advanced group ;) You were damn fast! It was easy to see that the focus was 'pushable' - you just man handled it and it responded. The protege was pretty fast too, his camera set up was wicked.

I will get the vids up asap. Pat did go for a ride in the GT... he was dumbfounded... :blink: what a sic beast.

Anyone who wants to try on-track needs to think about attending next year. SVTOA does an excellent job with these events. I'll be planning to make it all weekend next year for sure... anyone have an RV? :D
that must've been awesome.. just seeing the car on a track would've been great.. you actually raced with it and passed one (has you said, he probably wasn't giving his 100%)

I wish I could've been there.. hopefully a next event..

On friday night.. my car started bogging.. one of the fuel rail mount wouldn't hold anymore.. well what do you know.. the actual mount point on the manifold broke off.. it was still screwed in.. just broke off the manifold..

so for sure, i never would've made it.. could you imagine this happened down there? and had to drive back on 2-3 cylinders with a tie-wrap holding the fuel rail down ;) (i couldn't have drove back..)

so now im waiting on my manifold to replace it.. sucks that i need to replace the whole thing for something stupid like that.. haven't found another way of mounting it so.. and will be redoing the return line to the skirt..
BerinG,Aug 9 2005, 09:31 AM Wrote:that must've been awesome.. just seeing the car on a track would've been great.. you actually raced with it and passed one (has you said, he probably wasn't giving his 100%)

I wish I could've been there.. hopefully a next event..

On friday night.. my car started bogging.. one of the fuel rail mount wouldn't hold anymore.. well what do you know.. the actual mount point on the manifold broke off.. it was still screwed in.. just broke off the manifold..

so for sure, i never would've made it.. could you imagine this happened down there? and had to drive back on 2-3 cylinders with a tie-wrap holding the fuel rail down ;) (i couldn't have drove back..)

so now im waiting on my manifold to replace it.. sucks that i need to replace the whole thing for something stupid like that.. haven't found another way of mounting it so.. and will be redoing the return line to the skirt..
[right][snapback]129805[/snapback][/right]

My TB pipe blew off this week-end. Cracked the Bomz intake rubber coupler to the TB. Whipped out the stock TB pipe, hacked it up and got her running again. I think its leaking boost though....4-5th gear Im only getting 9psi now. 1-2-3, 10psi. <_<
hehe yeah i told you it would happen.. happened to my bomz too.. now i haev a silicone coupler.. 3" was hard to stretch but i eventually got it..

9psi in 4-5th and 10 on 1-2-3 ? weird.. i get less boost in 1-2-3 then 4-5 .. im not sure what to think anymore, if my boost controller is screwed or.. ill need to disconnect my wastegate and see if it can pass the 7psi mark..

sorry off topic.. i just need to fix these things to eventually autox and lap again..
Any schedule for next year in the works???

I wouldn't mind having it at Cayuga or Dunnville (again). they are close So home :P
Dunnville doesn't exist anymore unfortunately... and TMP has issues surrounding the road course at the moment... so if it were up to me I'd shoot for Mosport!! :P
Pages: 1 2