FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Powerworks Milestone!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
i'm proud to announce that we just got our JMS demo car off the dyno today with what is unofficially the highest powered PW zx3 on the streets!

247.1fwhp and 199lb/ft!!!

this was done with a FC race header, FC flex, MBRP 2.5" SVT exhaust, Kent Cam gears and our ZX3tuning prototype cam shafts!

the cams are made by Colt Cams based out of Langley BC exclusively for ZX3tuning as a colaberation between Colt and ZX3tuning. these are our "HOT" Prototype SC grind and we have another set with slightly different specs that will go into testing soon on my car!

these cams are a complete 180 from conventional Cam thinking and we will not be disclosing any info on the specs of these cams untill they have been dialed in and more tuning is done. don't bother asking justin because only myself and the grinder know.

these cams were inplace on Justins car BEFORE we installed the PW kit as we wanted to see if there was a chance they could be used for a NA application aswell plus to propperly break them in. i'm not going to lie to you guys, they do show decent gains on an NA car but there are far better NA cams out there!

here is a layover of my car with Kam race header, a 2.5" complete exhaust with 2.5" high flow race cat and untuned cam gears over top of justins car...
http://www.zx3tuning.com/images/pics/zx3tcams.jpg

the data file on justins run:
http://www.zx3tuning.com/images/pics/zx3tcamsdata.jpg

and the data on my car:
http://www.zx3tuning.com/images/pics/data01.jpg

sorry about the datafiles, it's 2 pages pasted together and my scanner likes to resize things oddly so nothing lever lines up propperly.

once we retune justins car i have little doubt we will see OVER 270fwhp out of the PW kit WITHOUT ANY BOOST UPGRADES!!

congrats to justin, i'm very happy the cams worked as well as they did!
Wow, killer numbers. Keep us up to speed with the progess Mitch :) Good work so far
Awsome for a Zetec.
Sweet!

Cams for a vortech please :P
one of the reasons i want to run a powerworks
Quote:these cams are a complete 180 from conventional Cam thinking and we will not be disclosing any info on the specs of these cams untill they have been dialed in and more tuning is done. don't bother asking justin because only myself and the grinder know.

Miller Cycle? :blink:

B)
FocusGuy7476,Aug 7 2005, 05:47 PM Wrote:one of the reasons i want to run a powerworks
[right][snapback]128885[/snapback][/right]

and thats a Zetec, SVT would be shaweet numbers!!
rob,
no but in a way you are not far off! B) :ph34r:
what octane gas were you using?
P-51,Aug 7 2005, 10: Wrote:
Quote:these cams are a complete 180 from conventional Cam thinking and we will not be disclosing any info on the specs of these cams untill they have been dialed in and more tuning is done. don't bother asking justin because only myself and the grinder know.

Miller Cycle? :blink:

B)
[right][snapback]128996[/snapback][/right]

if it is, you sort of have to wonder why it's never been tried before..

and how is the efficiency of the miller cycle at low/no boost? my initial impression is that miller cycle would be best for positive displacement superchargers (JRSC anyone?). would that assumption be correct?
I still want to bolt something like that to the SPI... I hate all the chumps that say it can't be done.
did a bit of reading up... guess mazda has been using miller cycle with lysholm superchargers for a while... so guess that answers that question..
darkpuppet,Aug 8 2005, 12:45 PM Wrote:did a bit of reading up... guess mazda has been using miller cycle with lysholm superchargers for a while... so guess that answers that question..
[right][snapback]129105[/snapback][/right]

Yup, I think it's a great idea, the Miller Cycle, but I think it must be used with a blower. The idea of being able to run high boost at an effective CR of 8:1, but getting 10:1 work out of it is great. The only problem is the wickid reversion you have going on in the intake manifold.
P-51,Aug 8 2005, 05: Wrote:Yup, I think it's a great idea, the Miller Cycle, but I think it must be used with a blower.  The idea of being able to run high boost at an effective CR of 8:1, but getting 10:1 work out of it is great.  The only problem is the wickid reversion you have going on in the intake manifold.
[right][snapback]129569[/snapback][/right]

pretty much all the reading I found on the miller cycle say it needs supercharging, and indirectly, positive displacement superchargers.

but then again, it sort of confuses me how they can get more work out of a lower effective compression ratio.. I mean, if you're letting air flow back out so the cylinder isn't wasting energy compressing it, what do you do with all the air and fuel that's headed back out?

I must do more reading on this... pretty neat concept.
darkpuppet,Aug 8 2005, 09:52 PM Wrote:
P-51,Aug 8 2005, 05: Wrote:Yup, I think it's a great idea, the Miller Cycle, but I think it must be used with a blower.  The idea of being able to run high boost at an effective CR of 8:1, but getting 10:1 work out of it is great.  The only problem is the wickid reversion you have going on in the intake manifold.
[right][snapback]129569[/snapback][/right]

pretty much all the reading I found on the miller cycle say it needs supercharging, and indirectly, positive displacement superchargers.

but then again, it sort of confuses me how they can get more work out of a lower effective compression ratio.. I mean, if you're letting air flow back out so the cylinder isn't wasting energy compressing it, what do you do with all the air and fuel that's headed back out?

I must do more reading on this... pretty neat concept.
[right][snapback]129594[/snapback][/right]

It's pretty easy to understand why it works, it's the how (what happens to the air/fuel that is pushed back out?) that is tricky.

Why, is simply because, in a standard Otto Cycle, the exhaust gas temps are as high as 1600 degrees. That means there is a LOT of extra energy left in the gas that is being waste. That energy could be used through further expansion doing work on the piston. But in an Otto cycle, you are limited because to get that huge stroke for mechanical expansion, leads to a really high CR. Too high for most gasolines, you get deto. Also, that large stroke also just means more displacement, you're sucking in more air to start with, so you're right back where you started.

Miller Cycle allows you to have an "expansion ratio" of say 15:1, to get more of the work out of the exhaust, but only 8 or 9:1 CR, allowing for regular octane. AND, the "effective" displacement is reduced by 9/15... um, that's not right. But the effective displacement is reduced by some amount. The math eludes me at the moment.
anyone know where i can read up on the differences between miller cycle and otto cycle
to answer the octane question we run 94 but that was on the STOCK Powerworks tuning set for 91!

there are also differences in head design on miller cycle engines compared to the standard otto cycle engines.
so nothing was changed on the PW tuning? came from PW ?
curious... mitch what kind of numbers are they seeing with the powerworks svt kit?
scoobasteve,Aug 9 2005, 09:58 AM Wrote:curious... mitch what kind of numbers are they seeing with the powerworks svt kit?
[right][snapback]129920[/snapback][/right]

If I recall it was around 250hp and 210ftlbs of tq

Quote:Testing of the FocusForce Kit began in April and development has been non-stop since then. “The output is exactly what we have been advertising at SEMA, and it’s real - verified by SAE engine dyno and roll’s testing,” said Mark Blaha, Chief Project Engineer. “We are seeing 251 bhp at 7000 RPM, and 210 pound per feet of torque on the engine dyno,” Blaha added.
found it

here's the link SVT kit
Pages: 1 2