FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Zetec Engine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was just wondering if anyone finds that there Zetec engine runs hot. If so is this normal for the Zetec engine?
After installing the AEM CAI and FC TB, I found that my engine runs a bit hotter. Well, it seems to when driving around town...after being on the highway for a while though, she just purrs...
Yes the Zetec does run kind hot. Mine alway's has but the Cold Air intake helped a bit.

If your worried about it at any point just look at your temp gauge. If its to high for what ever reason stop and let it cool.

Also check your Coolant level and make sure both your cooling fan's are working.
The guage sits about half all the time. I was just concerned the other day when I opened the hood and it was really hot, but i guess I won't worry about it. thanks
BradfordZX3,Aug 8 2005, 12:17 PM Wrote:The guage sits about half all the time. I was just concerned the other day when I opened the hood and it was really hot, but i guess I won't worry about it. thanks
[right][snapback]129287[/snapback][/right]

My '05 Duratec always shows as right in the middle of the temp guage but runs hot enough that you don't wanna leave your hands (or any other part of your anatomy) on the hood for very long :blink:

At least for the '05's (I dunno what the '00-'04 model years did) I think that has to do with the fact that there is *zilch* in the way of insulation between the motor & the hood, all the heat has nowhere to go but up.

NefCanuck
You have to remember that these engines are "high efficiency " engines. They are supposed to run very hot.
BradfordZX3,Aug 8 2005, 12:17 PM Wrote:The guage sits about half all the time. I was just concerned the other day when I opened the hood and it was really hot, but i guess I won't worry about it. thanks

Mine runs crazy hot to. So hot that on some days I cant even grab the hood holeder thingy....its just to hot to touch.

And my guage stays put in the middle also.
Flofocus,Aug 8 2005, 10:25 AM Wrote:

Mine runs crazy hot to. So hot that on some days I cant even grab the hood holeder thingy ....its just to hot to touch.

[right][snapback]129301[/snapback][/right]

wow, we have one of those on our vehicles...cool....
Slimsride,Aug 8 2005, 12:36 PM Wrote:
Flofocus,Aug 8 2005, 10:25 AM Wrote:

Mine runs crazy hot to. So hot that on some days I cant even grab the hood holeder thingy ....its just to hot to touch.

[right][snapback]129301[/snapback][/right]

wow, we have one of those on our vehicles...cool....
[right][snapback]129317[/snapback][/right]

Hood prop....whatver its called. :rolleyes:
Is it ok to remove the matting under the hood or would that even help?
BradfordZX3,Aug 8 2005, 11:16 PM Wrote:Is it ok to remove the matting under the hood or would that even help?
[right][snapback]129651[/snapback][/right]

No, it will damage the paint.
I found that once I went to a race header and move the catalytic under the car the underhood temps dropped like crazy.
oh well I guess i will be leaving that in place then
hardk0re,Aug 8 2005, 09:01 PM Wrote:I found that once I went to a race header and move the catalytic under the car the underhood temps dropped like crazy.
[right][snapback]129663[/snapback][/right]

What kind of header did you go with? I was thinking of going with OBX header and full exhaust. Is OBX worth going with does anyone know?
OBX is decent for the price I don't think they are bad. I mean focus central gets them to build their headers....

Just wrap them with heat wrap and your underhood temps will drop like maaaaad..

edit: read my sig for what headers I got :P
ERR didn't even think to look there. The OBX header is $500. How much was yours?
BradfordZX3,Aug 8 2005, 07:09 PM Wrote:ERR didn't even think to look there. The OBX header is $500. How much was yours?
[right][snapback]129670[/snapback][/right]

obx from ebay is like $150usd right?

Contact Mitch from zx3 tuning he can hook you up on a good good price for focussport one.......mine was about that much....not sure if that was shipped...
the svt gets ridiculously hot under the hood.

MMMM HEATSOAK.
i might be wrong .. but i think the temp gauge in our cars is just a simple 3 position gauge .. the only time you'll see it move past the middle is when your car is running extremly hot.

Flo, your car gets that hot cuz of that nice turbo and all the exhaust pipeing .. it would really help the temps out if you were to wrap all the exhaust pipes with the exhaust wrap like hardk0re did.
I think it's an analog gauge, but the center position is definitely an important temperature, like ~185F or something. I think the stock thermostat opens @ 190-195F and it might not register that slight change.

If you run it on a very cold morning (ie North Bay in January), you can see how long it takes to get to halfway. That would tell me it's reporting every temperature level on the way to halfway.
Pages: 1 2