FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Son Of A....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,

Once again I'm back for more help, I was just changing my cam gears, (stock over to my new adjustables) and I managed to get one off no problem (the one closest to the exhaust header) but the one in the back (intake manifold side) is being a huge B*TCH. My nuckles are the size of baseballs from constantly slipping and stripping this bolt, :angry: I think its just about to the point were it will be completly stripped but there is still some hope left for it......Does anybody know what I can do? Is there any lube or sumthing I can get behind this bolt to break it free? I've tried for about 1 hour now and I'm almost afraid to continue on, its just way to tight, I have vice grips holding the camshaft along with the camshaft tool so nothing is flexing/moving, but the bolt WILL NOT come free :angry:

If it strips completly what will I have to do? Leave it till I get new camshafts/bolts? Drill it out? All advice is welcome, and if anyone is close to Burlington and would like to give me hand, that would be awsome... thanks

Matt

01-yellow-ZX3

I had a hard time getting mine out at first, but I used a big breaker bar and it worked wonders.

Leverage is your friend. :)
Maybe I'm just gonna have to use my friggin torque wrench, but i'll need a piece that attaches to the 1/2 inch torque wrench and the 3/8's T55 Torx bit.....it should work, leverage sounds key :) Looks like it'll be an early crappy tire stop for me.
impact tools!

if you are having a hadr time with the breaker bar
get your hands on a buddy and a 3ft piece of pipe that will fit loosely over the the end of the breaker bar.
put as much weight as you can into the cam gear bolt whiel your buddy works the extended breaker bar

also, get your hands on a set of ARP cam gear bolts. they are external 12pt and are far stronger than the OEM 55torx bolts.
ZX3TUNING,Aug 5 2005, 06:20 AM Wrote:impact tools!

if you are having a hadr time with the breaker bar
get your hands on a buddy and a 3ft piece of pipe that will fit loosely over the the end of the breaker bar.
put as much weight as you can into the cam gear bolt whiel your buddy works the extended breaker bar

also, get your hands on a set of ARP cam gear bolts. they are external 12pt and are far stronger than the  OEM 55torx bolts.
[right][snapback]128321[/snapback][/right]

I'll look into those ARP's, I've come to the conclusion I'll definitly need them.....grrrrr I hate little stupid things like this.......
Canadian tire has some special socke's that are ment to grop stipped bolts. They claw into in with blades or somthing. Dads got a set there great, I dont think they cost much... If all eles failes you may try those.
Sell the car :lol: start new ;)
Haha that would leave my wallet dry for sure, cant exactly buy a new car in a heartbeat....But I love my Focus anyways :D
I bought this can of lube from princess auto for my header install, it worked wonders on the rusted bolts everything came out by hand really. I don't know the name for sure but it's 3 way or 3-2-1 lube spray has an orange can and is next to the WD-40. You can try that stuff, it works fast. Also like someone said get a set of those sockets that grab onto stripped bolts you'll be happy you did :)
soak it with MOOVIT. That stuff is the best lube that there is on the market
Well guys I got it out with a little muscle and my trusty 2ft torque wrench it wasnt even a challenge. Leverage was definitly key, I got new ARP's on the way but stockers will just have to do for now...... :)
GET SOME JIGALLOO ( or how ever the hell its spelt) See it on the weather channel all the time. ;)