FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: No "current" Rs For North America
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
REPORT: Ford passes on bringing current Focus RS to America
by Jonathon Ramsey on May 27th 2009 at 2:29PM

UPDATE: Ford just wrote us to clarify that while the all-new Focus RS just introduced in Europe won't be for sale in the U.S., "Ford intends to bring some new RS' to the US (as we've already seen in the spy photos of the white car) to use as marketing assets for feedback from enthusiasts" and media.
[Image: focus-rs-n.jpg]
Ford Focus RS

In an interview with Jost Capito, head of Ford's global performance, it came out that – yet again – the picture of the Focus RS above is the closest Americans will get to the Blue Oval's hottest hatch. As quoted in UK's Autocar magazine, Capito's exact words are: "Sadly, no. We'd like to, but the base car isn't homologated for North America, and that's too costly a job to carry out just for a niche vehicle like the RS."

Note that this doesn't contradict what was said last time – that the next-generation RS might come to the U.S. since the coming Focus is being developed as a global platform with North American federalization in mind. So let's put this one to bed so we can all get on with our lives and cease pining for the current Focus RS, shall we? We need to turn our attention now to pining for the next Focus RS...

Source AutoBlog

Those bastards...
They shouldn't even tease us with it.
not surprised at all.
well this is close to what you had said before. just to be clear, we are not getting the current RS but might be getting the new 2010 RS?

how come no one ever talks about a diesel focus :(, i dont really care about a fast focus that can be in the impound lot more then in my driveway. What i care about is a small car that gives me 1000km's per tank and cost maybe 1000$ more then a gas model focus. Why can't ford freaking get that!!!!!!
Key word's Ford intends to bring some new RS' to the US Lets cross out fingers for a 2010-2011 Model Or even a festiva RS
I'll be surprised if we get the ST model.
i knew it
Screwed now and likely screwed later. FAIL.
Agreed. FAIL.
mo_focus,May 28 2009, 03:09 PM Wrote:well this is close to what you had said before. just to be clear, we are not getting the current RS but might be getting the new 2010 RS?

how come no one ever talks about a diesel focus :(, i dont really care about a fast focus that can be in the impound lot more then in my driveway. What i care about is a small car that gives me 1000km's per tank and cost maybe 1000$ more then a gas model focus. Why can't ford freaking get that!!!!!!
[right][snapback]288340[/snapback][/right]
Because our American friends think that diesel is for fat cigar chomping truckers, in big rigs, or smarter than the average bear geeks, the demand for diesel vehicles for the average joe is deemed to be too low to justify to the accountants at Ford in Dearborn the cost of bringing over the diesel Focus.

Like you, I am hoping for a diesel Focus, despite the relative higher cost of fuel, the range between fuel stops would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for all the mixed metaphors.
oldeguy,May 29 2009, 08:47 AM Wrote:Because our American friends think that diesel is for fat cigar chomping truckers, in big rigs, or smarter than the average bear geeks, the demand for diesel vehicles for the average joe is deemed to be too low to justify to the accountants at Ford in Dearborn the cost of bringing over the diesel Focus.

Like you, I am hoping for a diesel Focus, despite the relative higher cost of fuel, the range between fuel stops would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for all the mixed metaphors.
[right][snapback]288380[/snapback][/right]

Problem is that deisels in N.America still have the stigma associated with the first attempts by the Detriot 3 to introduce deisels after the first oil shortage in the 70's.

It was so badly botched back then, it was a wonder that VW and Mercedes stuck to providing deisels (but this also had the effect of turning deisels into a "niche" product)

Right now, I think it would take one of the Detriot 3 to have the guts to stand up and produce a deisel, but the car would have to be flawless esp. the deisel motor and electrics (Fusion Deisel anyone?)

NefCanuck
Deisel won't happen hybrid is the way of the future deisel would just be going backwards.
ZX3_2NV,May 29 2009, 10:46 AM Wrote:Deisel won't happen hybrid is the way of the future deisel would just be going backwards.
[right][snapback]288392[/snapback][/right]

I like the concept of going zero-emissions at least part of the time, but hybrids are definitely NOT the way of the future. They're no less energy-intensive to manufacture, batteries are expensive to replace and even more confusing to recycle than a "standard" car's battery, and for most folks they're swallowing a multi-thousand dollar loss just to be able to "make a statement".

Futhermore, if they were the way of the future, they'd be a lot more mianstream than they are now.

Hydrogen is the way of the future, so long as they can stabilize and mass market the fuel source generation.

Fossil fuels, whether in 10 years or 50, are DONE. Hybrid-hydrogen is another viable alternative once they develop a "friendlier" battery type.

We're a long way off yet.
ZX3_2NV,May 29 2009, 10:46 AM Wrote:Deisel won't happen hybrid is the way of the future deisel would just be going backwards.
[right][snapback]288392[/snapback][/right]

Read this articale if you want, it says that environmental damage used to mine the batteries for the hybrid cars out ways any and all enviromental bennifits.

This is the best quote

"Building a Toyota Prius causes more environmental damage than a Hummer that is on the road for three times longer than a Prius. As already noted, the Prius is partly driven by a battery which contains nickel. The nickel is mined and smelted at a plant in Sudbury, Ontario. This plant has caused so much environmental damage to the surrounding environment that NASA has used the ‘dead zone’ around the plant to test moon rovers. The area around the plant is devoid of any life for miles. "

http://onemansblog.com/2007/03/27/prius-ou...nmental-damage/
"NASA has used it................."

That was 40 years ago, it is much improved since then.
I tend to incline towards diesel . These new engines are much cleaner and the fuel consumption is just great . These politicians keep BSing about better fuel mileage . Just replace gasoline engines with diesel and BAM ! you have reduced the fuel consumption with almost 50% . And there's no need for additional weight for batteries and such . That is of course until they come up with different alternatives for gasoline and diesel fuel . Maybe moose piss is the way to go . Or Tim Hortons coffee .
one of the main reasons why we don't have diesels equiped cars as widely as in Europe dose, (and the rest of the world) is because:

1: North American Diesel is far lower in quality compaired to EU standards, our highest grade of "clean Diesel" is the lowest compaired to Europe.

2. you can thank americans also for not having them, as americans are slower to get on the band wagon for better milage cars, and

3. beacuse gas is so cheap to produce here, it's why the demand is not as high as it is in europe. we pay about 1/2 of what a european would for regular gas.

4. American perception of diesel engines and diesel tech is still set in the 1970's
Frost__2001,May 29 2009, 05:06 PM Wrote:one of the main reasons why we don't have diesels equiped cars as widely as in Europe dose, (and the rest of the world) is because:

1: North American Diesel is far lower in quality compaired to EU standards, our highest grade of "clean Diesel" is the lowest compaired to Europe.

2. you can thank americans also for not having them, as americans are slower to get on the band wagon for better milage cars, and

3. beacuse gas is so cheap to produce here, it's why the demand is not as high as it is in europe. we pay about 1/2 of what a european would for regular gas.

4. American perception of diesel engines and diesel tech is still set in the 1970's
[right][snapback]288433[/snapback][/right]
Yeah , but diesel quality can be improved , it's a matter of will from the government , and I mean Canadian government . Also i think that in some matters Canadians need to stop blaming the Americans for all the BS happening in this country. Gasoline is much cheaper down south than here . We have a saying back home : you're not stupid for asking me , I am stupid for giving it to you . I know Canada depends on the US in many ways . But not everything . Have you been to Mexico ? You can see many european brands such as Renault , Peugeot ,Citroen on the same hwy with North American Cars . You say it's cheap fuel here , well watch what you wish for , Canada is heading exactly towards Europe's standards of... taxation . American perception of diesel engines ... who cares , the hell with the american cars then , everyone in Europe selling cars sells diesel also - Kia , Daewoo , VW , BMW Honda , and so on , just import the damn things and you get better fuel mileage . Just the way people learned to buy japanese for better quality , they will change their perception and buy diesel . FYI , I just spoke to a friend from Georgia (USA) last week and he told me that for a Jetta TDI you have to get on a waiting list , and if you want a manual transmission , it takes even longer . It seems that America started to have an appetite for diesel powered cars . Before living in Canada , I lived in the USA and rarely saw diesel cars . After moving here I noticed alot of VW diesel on the roads , but also more expensive gas . All in all , if there's a will , there's a way . But is there a will ?