FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: It Wasn't The Tune!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Being a new tuner myself, I've never been 100% confident in the tuning I've done to my car... and what little confidence I had was shaken to the core when a mysterious stuttering problem arose.

with fuel trims swinging to 25% correction, I started to think that my 'just good enough' tune had finally fallen victim to changing gas/wear and tear...

but then the dealership found the culprit...

faulty wiring connecting the MAF to the extended wiring harness... bad connection = wildly fluctuating MAF readings.

the dealership replaced the harness, redid it properly, and the car apparently runs great. I'm still going to go in and fine tune the SVT maf a bit more, but man, what a relief to know that it wasn't The Ghost in the Shell killing my attempts at tuning, but a physical problem.

Big props to Bay Ford Lincoln... the guys there (including shiny blue and the gang) know their s**t, and i'm going to be back on the road because of it.

same thing happenned to me when I putted on the jrsc last year, it felt like I was running on only 2 or 3 cylinders, turns out the wirring harnest to the maf had a broken wire at the connection.

sure feel better than a mecanical trouble for sure.

What a relif!

Make sure you show up to the dealership with a box of subs.... They like that.
Jeez, sounds familiar. :rolleyes:

This should be a freakin recall :P
my mafs wires broke on my red focus too... lol and i didnt have F/I
Awesome stuff Steve! Glad to hear she's ready to run... it's only been how long?? lol :blink: :D
BrooksZX3,Aug 3 2005, 11:50 AM Wrote:Awesome stuff Steve!  Glad to hear she's ready to run... it's only been how long?? lol  :blink:  :D
[right][snapback]127485[/snapback][/right]

the stumbling problem only started after the camping trip.

it's been running fine between that time though.
maf wiring.. i never heard of that problem before..

my stumbling stuttering was caused by faulty coil pack harness .. you people and your broken mafs :rolleyes:
was this another thing that the tuner transformation guys messed up?

Or is this common, by the sounds of it...
Well tuner trans had to extend his wires, so I'd say....Yeah its their fault.
darkpuppet,Aug 3 2005, 11:54 AM Wrote:
BrooksZX3,Aug 3 2005, 11:50 AM Wrote:Awesome stuff Steve!  Glad to hear she's ready to run... it's only been how long?? lol  :blink:  :D
[right][snapback]127485[/snapback][/right]

the stumbling problem only started after the camping trip.

it's been running fine between that time though.
[right][snapback]127487[/snapback][/right]

oops my bad :P
Good to hear Steve. Everytime we talk you sound more tuner-savy... I woulda been surprised had the fault been yours.
Now I'm afraid... the MAFs are common across all Foci, no?
darkpuppet,Aug 3 2005, 09:59 AM Wrote:Big props to Bay Ford Lincoln... the guys there (including shiny blue and the gang) know their s**t, and i'm going to be back on the road because of it.
[right][snapback]127470[/snapback][/right]

Told ya. ;)

They are not perfect but the best I've come across in 5 years of trying.
BerinG,Aug 3 2005, 11:11 AM Wrote:maf wiring.. i never heard of that problem before..

my stumbling stuttering was caused by faulty coil pack harness .. you people and your broken mafs  :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]127492[/snapback][/right]

I have also seen coil probs, being the wiring to the electrical connection on the coil pack go more than once. Its often mistaken for a bad coil
So how does it run now????
Crazirich,Aug 4 2005, 11:39 AM Wrote:
BerinG,Aug 3 2005, 11:11 AM Wrote:maf wiring.. i never heard of that problem before..

my stumbling stuttering was caused by faulty coil pack harness .. you people and your broken mafs  :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]127492[/snapback][/right]

I have also seen coil probs, being the wiring to the electrical connection on the coil pack go more than once. Its often mistaken for a bad coil
[right][snapback]127937[/snapback][/right]

That happened to me a few times on the red one too... damn focuses and their electrical troubles... seems, every small wire in the engine is wired too tight and prone to snapping. (alternator harness, Coil, Mafs... etc)
LOL Mexican built ones have the most troubles
Crazirich,Aug 4 2005, 06:09 PM Wrote:LOL Mexican built ones have the most troubles
[right][snapback]128021[/snapback][/right]

Actually, Mexican build Foci have much better quality than US built ones. They actually appreciate their jobs.
ANTHONYD,Aug 4 2005, 04:50 PM Wrote:So how does it run now????
[right][snapback]127957[/snapback][/right]

Like this

BRRRRRRRRRRRMMMM, shift gear, BRRRRRRRRRRRRMMM, shift gear
Pages: 1 2