FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Another Toronto Real Estate Craziness Post
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So I bought the house in 1999 for $225,000, it would probably fetch $425,000 today, we are talking a bungalow by the way. Anyway, people have been buying up houses on my street and either adding a story or knocking them down and starting again from scratch.

One of these rebuilt houses has officiallly taken it to the next level:

$1,269,900

:blink:

I am now living in "millionaires row". Here is what 1.2M gets you BTW:

[Image: e7103831.jpg]

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.aspx?vd=...pertyID=3761945
What a colossal waste of cash. At least your property value will skyrocket now Andrew :)

And it's a 2-story, 4-bedroom. I just got that - for 125K. I'll pass :P
1.2million gets u a crooked house? wat a rip :D
i wouldn't mind having that 1.2 M dollar house
thats a nice house.
1.2 million and only a single car garage?
ZTWsugardaddy,Jul 31 2005, 10:11 PM Wrote:1.2 million and only a single car garage?
[right][snapback]126634[/snapback][/right]

HaHa...
That means I should get 2.5 million for my two car garaged house. :P
you guys need to take location into account before scoffing at home much house you are getting for the price...

2-story, 4-bedroom. for 125K cdn.. thats like. unheard of.. that's like 2 parking spots in a sweet part of manhattan
LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION.....

A nice house like that, a 3 minitue walk to the subway.

Makes sence to me.
This is that ugly side of capitalism I was referring to the other week. You don't NEED a house like that, but because you tend to think you're better than everyone else at that point... you believe that you DO need a house like that.

It's a waste, plain and simple.
Hmmm.. decent sized lot for the area, 48' x 190'? Wouldn't complain.

they did an amazing job on the inside of that house .. i've always been a big fan of the open concept style ... the kitchen has a sweet lookin island aswell
Nevermind the selling price, I'm sure the upkeep costs is enormous. The property tax alone is probably over ten grand.

BTW, my brother-in-law and sister take possession of their 1.13 million dollar bungalow today. I haven't seen it yet, but I heard there's a pool and a small basketball court in the back.
NOS2Go4Me,Aug 1 2005, 02:30 PM Wrote:This is that ugly side of capitalism I was referring to the other week. You don't NEED a house like that, but because you tend to think you're better than everyone else at that point... you believe that you DO need a house like that.

[right][snapback]126714[/snapback][/right]

lol

what else do you want them to do with their hard earned money? pay more in taxes? donate to charity? focus on 'the other things' in life and just make less money in the first place?

stop hating and get back to work? :ph34r:
naz,Aug 2 2005, 01:46 AM Wrote:
NOS2Go4Me,Aug 1 2005, 02:30 PM Wrote:This is that ugly side of capitalism I was referring to the other week. You don't NEED a house like that, but because you tend to think you're better than everyone else at that point... you believe that you DO need a house like that.

[right][snapback]126714[/snapback][/right]

lol

what else do you want them to do with their hard earned money? pay more in taxes? donate to charity? focus on 'the other things' in life and just make less money in the first place?

stop hating and get back to work? :ph34r:
[right][snapback]126983[/snapback][/right]

Nicely said.

Maybe they should donate all their money to the "club"
Jeez, I hope you guys love your big houses that you're spending way too much on.

Anthony's pad is respectable, can't say a bad thing about it. It's a decent-sized house, complete with deck and workable backyard. I was impressed by it, to be perfectly honest.

Naz, you're in Manhattan. Nuff said.

Do you guys seriously believe that spending over $250-300,000 on a house makes you any better than anyone else? More importantly, does it really make you any happier?

I guess to each their own, but when I see that a house has exactly the same number of bathrooms and bedrooms as I have, and I paid less than 1/8th of what they're asking... I have problems with that.

Money isn't the key to everything, and I'm far from hating.

What do I want people to do with their hard-earned money? Whatever they want. What will we do with ours? Travel, see the world, take vacations whenever we want, save for an active retirement. If people are buying those houses, they're already paying more in taxes anyways with a paycheque that large. I wouldn't want the property tax bill.

What's the point of making more money when you're just going to piss it away on extra costs for your lavish lifestyle anyways? That's a sure sign of being completely disillusioned by money and the green-eyed monster that it brings home with it.

If I was paying over $1 million for a house, I'd expect at least 200+ acres of land in addition to that house. But it's not, it's in a "trendy" neighbourhood for pretentious pricks, lawyers, whatever that need to impress their peers and neighbours. Otherwise the old house would never have been torn down. There's luxury, and then there's... that.

You guys are on a dam Focus forum. Do you really expect guys who have a Focus as a daily driver to appreciate that piece of richie s**t? The charity digs can stop any time, as well. I gladly donate each year to the Canadian Cancer Society, as well as the Heart and Stroke Foundation. I actually believe in eradicating disease when the government is still failing to step up to the plate. That's why I founded our Grid.org team 2 years ago, and that's why I've founded (and maybe erroneously so) the FC.net Folding@Home team.

Charity isn't a bad thing, especially when it really costs next to nothing to "do your part".
If I was rich, my house would be stoopid big, 8 car garage, and I'd have all the small penis syndrome cars in that garage. :lol:

If that doesnt impress my freakin neighboors, what will??? :huh: :o B)

Nos, people who make that kind of money are doing the exact same thing your doing. Buidling equity, saving for a lavish retirement, etc, etc.

They're just doing it with more. ;) B)

And you cant compare your house to something that is 15 minutes from downtown Toronto. Thats just ignorant. :lol:
It's fun actually :)

But seriously... I've seen entire estates from Barrie north go for less and you get a lot more. That house is just STUPID for the price. Or rather the price is stupid.
yeah. realestate is ridiculous.... the house my mom bought in 1995 for 190k.... is now worth 420k today. and we're only in mississauga
(erin mills/streetsville area) we're not really near anything important... it seems with the higher realestate prices more and more people are moving further west.

On saturday when i went up to brantford to check the progress on the new house. i was talking to one of our soon to be neighbours. he's planning to commute into toronto every day. drive to hamilton and catch the go train. Thats just crazy!

Quote:You guys are on a dam Focus forum. Do you really expect guys who have a Focus as a daily driver to appreciate that piece of richie s**t?

Biggest mistake of the many in your post, never judge people by what they drive.

Many here have Focuses for reasons other than it is the least expensive car Ford makes. There is actually 3 on my street.
Pages: 1 2 3