FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Gauge Pod Construction
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well I finally tackled a fiberglas project all on my own without my fiberglass bitch to help me out(do most of the work...)

Its worked out real well so far, minimal material wasted. Anybody thinking of doing something like this, its not as scary as you may have thought...

Its not done yet, but starting to take shape, and look half decent.

Pics of the progress.
[Image: 572202_71_full.jpg]
[Image: 572202_72_full.jpg]
[Image: 572202_73_full.jpg]
Looks awesome Kev. Can't wait to see the finished product!
looks really good man! congrats
that looks really good!
Why can't I see the pictures?
Cant see either
that looks pretty good. turned out better than mine did.
hmm i was watching how hot rod shops, made one of a kind dashes and speaker boxes with fiber glass.

For your gauge , did you use "kitty hair" style fiber glass to build up the round look around the gauge. or did you just pack it full of body filler ?

looks great tho, can't wait to see it all painted it up and looking cool.
I scuffed the surface, then glued in the gauge holder. After that I fiberglassed over the gauge holder for the basic shape. Then I used the kitty hair bondo stuff(bondo hair) to build it up a little more to give the curves I wanted, sanded it down to relative shape. Then used the more fine kitty hair stuff (bondo glass) and made it smoother. I sanded really well to get it quite smooth after that.

Then I primed it to see where the imperfections were, next is another sanding and fixing up the imperfections, prime again and sand, then final paint.
[Image: 572202_74_full.jpg]

Well its finished now, i'm going to fix all the little imperfections that bug me and take it in to be painted.

Now i'm not sure if I should paint this flat black or paint it to match my center console. (dary grey, similar to the liquid grey of the S2).

Super slick man. I'd paint it dark grey
that looks awsome kevin. How long did it take you to work that out?
Paint it PINK, no but really nice work. On my list of things to do is fibreglassing two gauages there, if I ever get the time and energy.
I think total hours of working on it was about 3, thats not counting time to wait for curing between stages.

I'm gonna remove my center console, and have them both painted dark grey like my car, but with a matte finish. I was looking for the paintcode for the center console that I had painted last year but I couldn't find it :(

Wow!

Makes me think about custom holes for tweeters.
Wow...that looks awesome. I might have to pick you brain cuz I think thats what i want to do to mount my sunpro 2 3/4" tach.
ThraxXx,Aug 1 2005, 04:35 PM Wrote:Wow...that looks awesome.  I might have to pick you brain cuz I think thats what i want to do to mount my sunpro 2 3/4" tach.
[right][snapback]126791[/snapback][/right]
Why Just why do you insault this Mans Work with Suggesting a Sunpro Tach install.
You going to bring the mostly-finished product Saturday Kevin? Or will it be installed? :D
Chromey,Aug 2 2005, 07:34 PM Wrote:
ThraxXx,Aug 1 2005, 04:35 PM Wrote:Wow...that looks awesome.  I might have to pick you brain cuz I think thats what i want to do to mount my sunpro 2 3/4" tach.
[right][snapback]126791[/snapback][/right]
Why Just why do you insault this Mans Work with Suggesting a Sunpro Tach install.
[right][snapback]127274[/snapback][/right]

cuz it was the smallest tach I could find.
Probably should have finished them better, but time and impatience got the better of me...

[Image: finisheda.jpg]
[Image: finishedb.jpg]
[Image: installed.jpg]
Pages: 1 2