FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Vacation Planning
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So my wife and I are trying to think of a nice place to go for our vacation this summer ... someplace we've never been and someplace the kids might enjoy ... and we're thinking of going to NB.

Anybody know of good places to stay, sights to see etc etc ... it's a bit of a drive from Brampton, but we know a couple of people there and we've been told that it's a nice place to visit ... a little rough in places but some great natural scenery and friendly people for the most part.

Comments - suggestions - thanks for you input.
If you've got kids the best part of NB is PEI.
ZTWsquared,May 26 2009, 11:28 AM Wrote:So my wife and I are trying to think of a nice place to go for our vacation this summer ... someplace we've never been and someplace the kids might enjoy ... and we're thinking of going to NB.

Anybody know of good places to stay, sights to see etc etc ... it's a bit of a drive from Brampton, but we know a couple of people there and we've been told that it's a nice place to visit ... a little rough in places but some great natural scenery and friendly people for the most part.

Comments - suggestions - thanks for you input.
[right][snapback]288090[/snapback][/right]

I don't know if I would take a vacation to North Bay but its up to you.

Tobermory is a great place for the family, glass bottom boat tours, snorkeling and ship wrecks, even wreck diving and the camp sites are well kept.

I recommend Northern Suites Plus - you can't go wrong with a nicely appointed luxury suite, fireplace, bar and jacuzzi tub. The glass-enclosure multi-directional showers are sweet too!

Oh wait, New Brunswick. Nice, nice. :ph34r:

I camped in a few provincial parks out that way about 5 years ago. It's nice country and driving through the Appalachians is recommended in your newly-modified Fusion. The twistier side highways/roads are nice to drive on and a welcome distraction from the tollways.
the parents just bought a summer house out there on teh bay heard its preeeeetty. take pics
If you've never done it, I highly reccomend driving the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton. The gf and I took a 9 day trip out to Nove Scotia last summer. It was a blast and the scenery is absolutely breathtaking!!

-George
Scourge,May 26 2009, 07:38 PM Wrote:If you've never done it, I highly reccomend driving the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton.  The gf and I took a 9 day trip out to Nove Scotia last summer.  It was a blast and the scenery is absolutely breathtaking!! 

-George
[right][snapback]288164[/snapback][/right]

That's a little bit past NB... :)

For NB, I'd say King's Landing (1850's working village), The Reversing Falls (fun for 10 minutes), then the Moosehead factory tour for daddy... :D
For someone based in Ontario be aware that:

King's Landing is like Black Creek/Penetang put together
Reversing Falls is more of a rapids, Google it.
Moosehead=Steamwhistle or any winery tour in Niagara etc.

All of the above are all nice enough and are interesting to do in a different place but its the grown-ups who appreciate them more.

There is a lot to see and do in NB but as I said, if you've got kids you want to go to PEI and Cavendish in particular. Beaches with the warmest salt water north of the Carolinas, rides, amusements, splash of history, scenic, safe blah blah blah.....

NB is physically much bigger in reality than what you may think from looking at a map. You may not in fact be able to squeeze in as many sights as you may think you can with the time you may have where as PEI is very compact.

One neat thing to do is take the bridge ONE way to PEI and one of the Ferry boats the OTHER way. Kids like the big boat ride.

Cabot Trail is gorgeous for sure, especially by motorcycle but not a kid thing. I did the Blue Ridge mountains last year with my kid (boy 8 at the time) and lets face it, they don't appreciate scenery. It must be TV and video games that have spoiled them for scenery but tainted as they are beaches and oceans fascinate the kids endlessly despite it all.

Remember the above is coming from a guy with a kid, who travels with his kid often, knows what they like and who has has spent years total living, working and travelling all over the Maritimes. Give it whatever weight you want.
2001 ZTS,May 27 2009, 03:32 PM Wrote:For someone based in Ontario be aware that:

King's Landing is like Black Creek/Penetang put together
Reversing Falls is more of a rapids, Google it.
Moosehead=Steamwhistle or any winery tour in Niagara etc.

All of the above are all nice enough and are interesting to do in a different place  but its the grown-ups who appreciate them more.

There is a lot to see and do in NB but as I said, if you've got kids you want to go to PEI and Cavendish in particular. Beaches with the warmest salt water north of the Carolinas, rides, amusements, splash of history, scenic, safe blah blah blah.....

NB is physically much bigger in reality than what you may think from looking at a map. You may not in fact be able to squeeze in as many sights as you may think you can with the time you may have where as PEI is very compact.

One neat thing to do is take the bridge ONE way to PEI and one of the Ferry boats the OTHER way. Kids like the big boat ride.

Cabot Trail is gorgeous for sure, especially by motorcycle but not a kid thing. I did the Blue Ridge mountains last year with my kid (boy 8 at the time) and lets face it, they don't appreciate scenery. It must be TV and video games that have spoiled them for scenery but tainted as they are beaches and oceans fascinate the kids endlessly despite it all.

Remember the above is coming from a guy with a kid, who travels with his kid often, knows what they like and who has has spent years total living, working and travelling all over the Maritimes.  Give it whatever weight you want.
[right][snapback]288254[/snapback][/right]

Aside from being engimatic about which NB I was referring to ... I'm serious about wanting info ... and yes, I'm talking about New Brunswick; so thanks for the heads up on this stuff ... and yes PEI was on our list too - maybe a good place to start.

Thanks to all for the input ... and thanks NOS for where to stay if and when I decide I need to be in North Bay.
You go to NB and there is no turning back.

Your application to Team PITA will be denied!!!!
meford4u,May 27 2009, 08:46 PM Wrote:You go to NB and there is no turning back.

Your application to Team PITA will be denied!!!!
[right][snapback]288282[/snapback][/right]

LOL - assuming you're talkin' to me (you talkin' to me!?) I guess we could hold off visiting New Brunswick until such time as my application was processed ...

oh wait, what fawkin application ... nobody told me I'd applied ... I guess being senile doesn't disqualify anyone from being a PITA member.

On the one hand a part of me would be pissed off that I didn't qualify (the part of me that randomly wants to gut punch ugly people on the sidewalk) ... but on the other hand my wife tells me I'm a genuinely nice guy - so I suspect I really don't have the qualifications to be a PITA member.

But thanks for thinking of me in that way ... no really, thanks.

:rolleyes:
This is a actually a good year to visit North Bay, my understanding is that they are celebrating the 5th Anniversary of indoor plumbing and there is some sort of festival.
2001 ZTS,May 28 2009, 06:40 AM Wrote:This is a actually a good year to visit North Bay, my understanding is that they are celebrating the 5th Anniversary of indoor plumbing and there is some sort of festival.
[right][snapback]288287[/snapback][/right]

Here is one of the many games they will be playing :lol:

[Image: toilettoss.jpg]
^^ Looks like East York. You know, what with being next door to Scarberia and all. :lol:
NOS2Go4Me,May 28 2009, 08:19 AM Wrote:^^ Looks like East York. You know, what with being next door to Scarberia and all. :lol:
[right][snapback]288302[/snapback][/right]
Ah, cmon Nos.

You know that's your Dad and Dad.

NB. The s***ty little city that allows :fag:
Actually someone told me it was you and the Sailor, finally revealing your true bloodties. Everyone knows those guys in the pic aren't old enough to be my dad. :lol: :ph34r:

Obviously 2001 isn't the one with the cowboy hat - must be the pard with the pickup truck.
I'm man enough to keep my wife and own a full size pick up truck.

Not a Ranger and a douchebag.
I have no idea what he said because I blocked the NERD weeks ago but am sure it was ghey. The size of cars and trucks aside, I am man enough to say: "see ya if that is what you want" to a wife and hook up with the most amazing women you'd ever meet.

This is IMPORTANT:

I raised the bar as opposed to dropping it on the floor of a bar in North Bay and seeing what sticks.

You know what?

This is a new low, even for FC.net. Publicly insulting and attacking someone's g/f directly.

That's fine. f*** YOU ASSHOLES, I'm out.

I reported this thread but then I realized, nothing bad will come to those who are being ASSHOLES. They in too deep.

And I've wasted way too much valuable time on more than a few cretins here.

Take a good look (till someone sweeps the evidence away, fellas). This is FC.net - where the "in crowd" isn't content to battle with someone directly, they get family involved. Great hospitality here, fellas.

You couldn't crack me so you'll attack the one I'm with. Stellar tactics. Class act.

f*** YOU BOTH. ,,|, ,|,,

02ztsian

I guess we still don't know if NB stands for North Bay or New Brunswick.
If I remember correctly this is a Focus oriented forum, not an attack each other forum. Let's keep it civil, OK?
Pages: 1 2