FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: My Xbox Dvd Drive Is Shot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yup it's now official my Xbox DVD drive is now completely shot. Can't read any games, movies or even my DVD lens cleaning kit.

I called Microsoft tech support and since my ''product'' is non longer under warranty (I bought it in march 2000) they want me to pay 200$ plus shipping for them to fix it. I gladly told them to shove it up their butt and now I'am considering other options.

- Is there any place in the Ottawa/Gatineau region who could possibly do that kind of repair ?

- Can I purchase myself a new Xbox DVD drive. If so where ?

- Does a normal PC DVD drive will fit in ?

Thanks.
can't you buy a new xbox for $200 and shipping?

your best bet is to bring it into ebgames for a return, and use the store credit to buy another one (used or new).

I'm sure there are ways of fixing it yourself, since it's just a PC drive, but why bother taking chances of paying out more in the end. ebGames will buy even a broken unit, so long as the warranty seal hasn't been broken on the box.

It's good to know thanks. It just piss me off as I will loose many saved games. Especially Forza since I can't figure why I can't copy it, anyway I'll keep it as a last resort, thanks.
Go to EB and buy a pre played Xbox....
Ghandi,Jul 26 2005, 08:48 AM Wrote:It's good to know thanks. It just piss me off as I will loose many saved games. Especially Forza since I can't figure why I can't copy it, anyway I'll keep it as a last resort, thanks.
[right][snapback]125306[/snapback][/right]
you should be able to still access the memory. turn it on without a disk and it will bring u to the xbox dashboard. that should giv eyou access to the hardrive to copy anythign in memory onto a memory card.

i think that should work or does the xbox not even run now that the drive is shot???
Why dont you just wait till November and get XBOX 360...new system, dvd, plays all the games and 100 times more capability! I wouldnt even bother fixing the old one...
or mod the bitch,,, buy a HDD for 50 bucks and install that

I'd say shelf the xbox and wait until the 360 comes out....

They have a few hacks out to use existing pc drives,while the interface fits the bios needs to be updated in the drive itself.
I finally made my move and decided to ship it somewhere in Newmarket for a repair. 120$ for a full repair and checkup plus 1 year warranty.

As for the 360 really I don't figure myself paying 500$ for another console. I like the Xbox the way it is and I don't really feel the need for something different. It may change over time but right now I'm a happy 120$ poorer fella.

With a name like Ghandi, you would think you could create a miracle and all would be fixed?
meford4u,Jul 27 2005, 02:24 PM Wrote:With a name like Ghandi, you would think you could create a miracle and all would be fixed?
[right][snapback]125709[/snapback][/right]

:D Yeah I could sit in front of the Microsoft Headquarters and start a passive war and starve to death but no I think I'll pass.

Anyway, drinking my pee was never on my ''to try'' list. :lol:
Ghandi,Jul 27 2005, 02:47 PM Wrote:
meford4u,Jul 27 2005, 02:24 PM Wrote:With a name like Ghandi, you would think you could create a miracle and all would be fixed?
[right][snapback]125709[/snapback][/right]

:D Yeah I could sit in front of the Microsoft Headquarters and start a passive war and starve to death but no I think I'll pass.

Anyway, drinking my pee was never on my ''to try'' list. :lol:
[right][snapback]125713[/snapback][/right]

If you drink a lot of beer first, it all tastes the same. Atleast that's what Don told me.
If Don has been drinking your pee, you two should stop seeing each other :P

seems like a decent enough deal, basically the same as getting a new xbox with a one year warranty... good stuff.