FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Installing Gauges
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Couple of quick Questions.
1, When purchasing gauges which would you go for mechanical or fully electronic?

2, How do I properly install a fuel/air gauge. I am not liking the distructions my phantom gauge is telling me?

3, Correct me if I am wrong but on a voltage gauge doesn't it tie in line. And has anyone done one and what is the location they used for tie in?

4, Should I not be able to attach any gauge directly to my cars computer ( My understanding it has all this information?
Sundown,Jul 25 2005, 09:51 PM Wrote:1, When purchasing gauges which would you go for mechanical or fully electronic?
- For things like oil pressure, definetly electronic. I think thats really the one that matters for mechanical vs electronic.
Sundown,Jul 25 2005, 09:51 PM Wrote:2, How do I properly install a fuel/air gauge. I am not liking the distructions my phantom gauge is telling me?
- Ditch that gauge and get a wideband....
Sundown,Jul 25 2005, 09:51 PM Wrote:3, Correct me if I am wrong but on a voltage gauge doesn't it tie in line. And has anyone done one and what is the location they used for tie in?
- I connected mine right to the battery.
Sundown,Jul 25 2005, 09:51 PM Wrote:4, Should I not be able to attach any gauge directly to my cars computer ( My understanding it has all this information?
- Why? things like voltage, oil temp? I think the whole point of those secondary gauges was kind of like having a consultant, you know a second opinion :)
Electrically speaking voltage should never been taken in line. Voltage is always taken in parallel. Thus when hardkore hooked up the voltage gauge directly to the battery he was in parallel with the whole circuit of the car. If you were putting in an ammeter, then you would want to put it inline with whatever you were measureing.

Hope that helps
Thanks,
And yes I see your point.
Call me dumb but what the heck is a wide band?
Something you dont need if your car is fairly stock.
Um
Just got into the focus so I am sure by the time i get bored it will be far from stock.
So this didn't answer my question what is a wide band gauge for and why and what will it tell me.
Will it help me for bench marking mods I complete?
Sundown,Jul 26 2005, 08:19 PM Wrote:Um
Just got into the focus so I am sure by the time i get bored it will be far from stock.
So this didn't answer my question what is a wide band gauge for and why and what will it tell me.
Will it help me for bench marking mods I complete?
[right][snapback]125549[/snapback][/right]

Its an Air/Fuel Monitor.

They ususally sell them with a guauge and a o2 sensor.

Major $$
Puppet and I have the same guage. Were in a turtle race to install it.

The best guy to ask is Anthony aka Focosed. He works for PI and sold us the wideband O2 sensor. I won't kid you, it's over $500. And what it tells you is a very precise reading of your A/F ratio so you can pinpoint where you are lean/rich and tune your car to perfection. It's a digital readout.
The reason Puppet and I have it? More money than brains and we both have boost.

$500.00 doesn't sound bad though.
But it sounds like something that can wait til I get to a level
Thanks for the info
my UEGO controller cost about $700 after delivery and all that good stuff.. I was in a hurry when I ordered it, but a few setbacks later, and I'm in the turtle race with meford.

I'm drilling a hole in my firewall this weekend... so who knows I might actually be ahead at this point as I already have an extra bung in my exhaust.
darkpuppet,Jul 27 2005, 03:34 AM Wrote:my UEGO controller cost about $700 after delivery and all that good stuff.. I was in a hurry when I ordered it, but a few setbacks later, and I'm in the turtle race with meford.

I'm drilling a hole in my firewall this weekend... so who knows I might actually be ahead at this point as I already have an extra bung in my exhaust.
[right][snapback]125621[/snapback][/right]

Ha ha ha. I am having the bung welded today and the boy will have the wiring completed Thursday or Friday. It might even be done before the weekend. Catch up big fella.

Oh yes, it was closer to $700, I just didn't want to send him into a panic, just a little price shock.
habmann,Jul 26 2005, 12:06 AM Wrote:Electrically speaking voltage should never been taken in line. Voltage is always taken in parallel. Thus when hardkore hooked up the voltage gauge directly to the battery he was in parallel with the whole circuit of the car. If you were putting in an ammeter, then you would want to put it inline with whatever you were measureing.

Hope that helps
[right][snapback]125230[/snapback][/right]

THat makes no sense.
which part doesn't make sense? maybe its not explained well but thats the way its gotta be.
habmann,Jul 28 2005, 12:40 AM Wrote:which part doesn't make sense? maybe its not explained well but thats the way its gotta be.
[right][snapback]125902[/snapback][/right]

That is embrassing for you to say electricially speaking because that is not electrical talk at all