FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Shoutcast, In Case Anyone's Interested
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I can give you the lowdown here on how to do your own ShoutCAST on your LAN at home, or over the Internet even.

Let me know if anyone's interested... got it running tonight, tres cool.
what's shoutcast?
smith21,Jul 25 2005, 09:42 PM Wrote:what's shoutcast?
[right][snapback]125183[/snapback][/right]

Yeh....what he said!?
It's a way to broadcast your MP3 files from one computer to any other computer that's able to connect via Windows Media Player, WinAmp, or anything else.
NOS2Go4Me,Jul 25 2005, 09:58 PM Wrote:It's a way to broadcast your MP3 files from one computer to any other computer that's able to connect via Windows Media Player, WinAmp, or anything else.
[right][snapback]125192[/snapback][/right]

Trading MP3's is wrong....

the artists get no money and you are contributing to the downward spiral of......

aWW screw it...sign me up
ROFL...

It's not for trading, it turns your computer into a networked radio station.

My apologies for not being clear enough.

I like it because I can put all my MP3s downstairs on a different (louder) computer, and then listen to them upstairs on a home theatre PC (read: quieter) that I'll have patched into my 5.1 surround system. Or in the rec room. Or wherever I put any other PCs on my network.
you can pretty much do it with windows media encoder... a free download.

that's what I run the webcams off of when I post them up.
sign me up adam
darkpuppet,Jul 26 2005, 12:23 AM Wrote:you can pretty much do it with windows media encoder... a free download.

that's what I run the webcams off of when I post them up.
[right][snapback]125250[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, WME is nice but I always hate having to configure the bugger. That, and I can't remember if the new one (version 9) will just stream the MP3s after converting them to WMAs. I hate wasting HD space to convert the MP3s to a music format that's pointless.

Brian, I've uploaded the files to my webserver. http://teamx.webhop.org/files/shoutcastpack.rar

Everyone will need WinRAR to open the archive. Winamp 2.x or 5.x can be used, and Winamp 3 is NOT supported.

I'll post the writeup on configuring everything later on today.
so if im at work, can i listen to my MP3's, that are on my computer at home? can they be on any program? most of my MP3's are on music match and limewire players
Yup, you can do that for sure.

Here's what you do:

- Run both installers. Close the readme that pops up for the Winamp plugin unless you feel like doing a little light reading.

- In the ShoutCAST program listing under All Programs, change the target executable where it says "Edit ShoutCAST DNAS Settings" to write.exe from notepad.exe. Right click that "Edit..." selection and select properties, and then under Target, change the notepad.exe to write.exe.

- Launch the Edit Settings option. Change the following settings - password to something unique BUT REMEMBER WHAT IT IS, portbase from 8000 to something a lot higher up... I used 24000. Scroll down. Change the SrcIP to 127.0.0.1 and leave the DestIP as ANY. Save the changes. EDIT - almost forgot. You can change the MaxUsers to whatever number you want, if you're worried about bandwidth concerns. Hell, set it to 2 or 4 or whatever you want. Stock setting is 32.

- Load WinAmp, and queue up your stack of MP3s via a directory scan or playlist. Right-click the main portion of Winamp (with the volume slider) and select Options --> Preferences. At this point, before you go any further, LAUNCH THE SHOUTCAST SERVER VIA THE SHORTCUT IN THE PROGRAMS MENU OF WINDOWS. There.

- In the Winamp Preferences, go down to DSP/Effect and select NullSoft ShoutCast Source plugin. A box should pop-up. Go to the Output tab. Output 1 is the only one you're going to need for these purposes. Leave the Output Configuation address as localhost, change the port number to the port you chose earlier in the configuration file, and then enter the password you entered into the configuration file as well. Leave the "encoder" set to 1.

- At this point, checking the box next to "Connect at Startup" will automatically connect to the ShoutCAST server you launched a few minutes ago. In the ShoutCAST server screen that should have been launched, you'll see a connection made, and then if you're behind a firewall you'll see screaming that the public server register can't see you. Who cares :)

- Click the Yellowpages button. Enter an appropriate name for your ShoutCast server and then enter a website address if you wish. This will prompt the connection to your ShoutCast server to be reset, and a reconnection will be automatic. You can also disable the "make this server public" option and you should still be able to connect to your ShoutCast server from home. You can also enter a Genre of music being ShoutCasted if you choose to.

- Click the Encoder tab. Under Encoder 1, leave the second drop-down box as MP3 Encoder. Select 128Kbps, 44.100 KHz, Stereo as your encoding format and then click back on the Output tab. Your ShoutCast connection should re-establish itself.

- That's it. Start playing some music, turn down your speakers locally, and then go to another computer on your LAN and enter the following address in any media player's Open URL or Open Location address box:

http://computername:portnumber

For instance, at home I enter http://192.168.10.100:24000 and I can listen to my MP3s in either Windows Media Player, Winamp, or any other media player that is MP3-capable.

Let me know if you need anything else :)
There's also a few more things you can do to lock the server down, like put your work IPs in the Reserved IP list (sc_serv.rip) and then taking out the "comment" markers in the server configuration file.

This isn't all that great for dynamic IPs, like a buddy's place, because you'd have to know the IP prior to accessing the server. It IS good for security-only reasons, however.
NOS2Go4Me,Jul 26 2005, 01:25 AM Wrote:I can give you the lowdown here on how to do your own ShoutCAST on your LAN at home, or over the Internet even.

Let me know if anyone's interested... got it running tonight, tres cool.
[right][snapback]125179[/snapback][/right]

welcome to 1999 :)
I'm so resisting the urge for a flippant, holier-than-thou comment here.

Why? :huh:
NOS2Go4Me,Jul 26 2005, 05:58 PM Wrote:I'm so resisting the urge for a flippant, holier-than-thou comment here.

Why? :huh:
[right][snapback]125499[/snapback][/right]

do it....do it....do it....
yeah I must agree this is old news, but for the newbies out there Adam has done a pretty good write up on how to get yourselfs up and running. Also you cant really select the songs you want played its just the list that you have created. You cant get around it by doing a remote desktop connection to your computer and selecting the song you want to play, then exiting the desktop and listening.
Dub's got a good point. I was cruising the AMD Edge website the other day, found it interesting because it factors in perfectly with our upcoming move and floorplan layout (HTPC in the living room, datacenter in the basement), and decided to share it with our community-at-large.

I cleaned up the text and added my own inimitable style, but the heart of it is from the AMD Edge site... a great site that's free to join, btw. ;)

As for "1999", I had already been an "IT guy" for more than a few years, albeit underpaid and uncredited for my work. What were you doing - reading "My First PC?" :huh:

If you saw what I ran and did in a given day, you'd understand that everything I wrote was utterly trivial to me (nevermind how new it is/was to me), yet I thought I'd post it anyways to be helpful.
NOS2Go4Me,Jul 27 2005, 12:31 AM Wrote:As for "1999", I had already been an "IT guy" for more than a few years, albeit underpaid and uncredited for my work. What were you doing - reading "My First PC?" :huh:

hehe take it easy I was just yanking your chain there, it's some pretty old news, have you checked out shoutcast TV yet? as for what I was doing in 1999, I really don't know it's a miracle that I find my way back here daily, but seriously I think I was in school taking Network Engineering.