FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Unfamiliar New Sound
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm aware that the focus comes with it's share of weird "not supposed to do that" kind of sounds but the one I'm experiencing now is unfamiliar to me.

Everytime I shift roughly there's a clunk coming from the passenger's side front. Now I know there's a shitty sound when you shift but this one is seperate from that one. I recently just re-installed my OEM sway bar upfront but it wasn't doing it on the day of the install. It actually started 4 days later. Anyone have an idea what this could be?

01-yellow-ZX3

Passenger side motor mount.
tool u left under the hood being knocked around :D
Phantom,Jul 22 2005, 02:05 AM Wrote:tool u left under the hood being knocked around :D
[right][snapback]124409[/snapback][/right]

Well I keep track of all the tools that I used and I didn't forget any because they all have their spot to be put back in.

If it is the passenger side motor mount how hard is it to fix/replace?
its actually really easy to fix,

crank up the stereo and it all goes away. i think i have to replace that, plus lots of bushings and rear bearings. so the loud stereo is the best option to go with.

Lates MO
You have buggered your strut bearing.

I had this happen after the day Simon and I had the front struts out of my car.

I'm not sure how much it costs, but I'm sure the labour is more exspensive than the part.
mo_focus,Jul 22 2005, 07:56 AM Wrote:its actually really easy to fix,

crank up the stereo and it all goes away. i think i have to replace that, plus lots of bushings and rear bearings. so the loud stereo is the best option to go with.

Lates MO
[right][snapback]124415[/snapback][/right]

Funny I do the same thing with my break's right now.
ANTHONYD,Jul 22 2005, 08:23 AM Wrote:You have buggered your strut bearing.

I'm not sure how much it costs, but I'm sure the labour is more exspensive than the part.
[right][snapback]124418[/snapback][/right]

Strut Bearing? WTF is that?
MAlby7,Jul 22 2005, 11:38 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]124546[/snapback][/right]

it's a bearing for your strut. No seriously
nass,Jul 24 2005, 12:47 AM Wrote:
MAlby7,Jul 22 2005, 11:38 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]124546[/snapback][/right]

it's a bearing for your strut. No seriously
[right][snapback]124666[/snapback][/right]

Yup thier in your strut mount so yah need a new mount
Ok correct me if I'm wrong but are you guys talking about the part at the top of the strut that goes into but under the metal molded in the engine bay?
How much would a new strut mount cost. Anyone know? Should I just take it in for service?
I have a strange sound in the same place, passenger front wheel well area. Mine can best be described as a rattle. I was suspecting suspension but when the car is stopped and I try to compress the suspension with my substancial weight I hear nothing?

I shouldn't really care at this point since the wifey is taking the car BUT my kid will be riding in it.

I have the full SVT suspension waiting to install but am wondering if everything is going to be off what esle to change at the same time? Are there aftermarket strut bearings or are we stuck with OEM?

Also is strut bearing the same as a "pillow mount"?

Thanks
Check your steering linkages too, guys. I had some wear in mine with some of the same noise you're describing... and ended up getting both replaced not long thereafter. Oscar's was decidedly worse and his were replaced a couple of months ago as well.
MAlby7,Jul 27 2005, 03:31 AM Wrote:How much would a new strut mount cost.  Anyone know?  Should I just take it in for service?
[right][snapback]125619[/snapback][/right]

Bat have it for $40US and my guess will be around $80cdn from dealer.

BTW my focus is make huge noise from all 4 corner to the point the I don't really care anymore. Becuase most of them are because of old bushing.
Ok I guess what I'm really wondering is whether or not it's safe to drive around like that. The reason I ask is because I'm going to Montreal this weekend!