FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: My Moving Experience.....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As alot of you know I recently moved(July 1) to Saskatoon, Sk from Yorkton, Sk. Everything was going great. Got everything packed in Yorkton with the help of a moving company(United Vanlines).

Get to Sasktoon load my son stuff from his apartment into a half ton truck which we rented ( mover were supposed to do this but they deceided that I should make other arrangement...4 days before the move. Where the hell was I going to get a Uhaul on short notice on a long weekend in S'toon, plus a place to put my son stuff over nite. I called everyplace there was and finnally found a truck at Discount). Got it done and stored in a friend garage overnite.

We arrive a the new house just before noon to find the previous owner still moving there stuff out ....nowhere near done. My truck shows up but can't unload for 2 hours until the others are out.
So while they are moving out, my realator and I take a tour of the house. I want to scream at this point as I look at the condition of the house. It is a mess. Carpets a dirty, walls are all mess up, windows are broken, yard is full of weeds, the garabage bin is overflowing,living room window is steamed up and the list goes on.
For onething there mover did not put down carpet runner to protect the carpet plus they must have hit every corner with furniture as they were taking it out.
Lets just say I was not inpressed and then the homeowner is making excuses for everything.
When I viewed the house, it was clean and looked well taken care of even my home inspector said the thing. I had the home inspector back after I moved in and he had the same look on his face as I did when he walked into the house.Shock and Horror.
I need atleast $20G to put this house in shape.
I have a lawyer working on it to see what we can do. It is a good thing I have pictures of what the place looked before and after. And no I will not post any pictures at this time.We were in this house twice before we made the offer and I wish now I would have taken someone esle with me.
I know alot about houses as I renovated my last house so I do know what to look for. Alot of this stuff happen after I looked at the house and the home inspection was done. The previous owners just didn't give a dam after they sold.
We did a drive by two week before possession and found that the grass was a foot and half high on the front lawn and the garbage was overflowing then...It should have been a warning to us.
I could have call the whole thing off then. We did want to go into the house that weekend but were unable to as my realator could not get hold of the sellers realator.

A week after the move, Tyler discover the rims we were trying to sell (Konig) were damaged by the move. My moving will not take blame for them as we had put foam on them to protect them in the move(they could not examine them because they were cover) but they didn't make an effort to provide more protection for them either like wrapping them in blankets like I asked.Three of the four are damaged so now have to make a claim on house insurance for them.

And here is the kicker, I hurt my shoulder at work on my last set of nights.So now I am waiting on WCB as to where it will be a new claim or related it back to my old injury.
With all this that has been going on that is one reason why I haven't posted much in the last little while. This was to be a new start for me. Not much of start. Needless to say I have not been a happy camper.
I'm done and feel better getting it all out. I know there is light at the end of this tunnel.
hmm I am in need of a sum of money ...u are in need of some to enforce consequence....hmm maybe we should get together and work something ....

nah I am just kidding

no but seriously if u want I can make them dissapear :blink: :ph34r:

damn movers i never did trust those guys, shady ppl i say...hope everythign works out for ya
well, the good news is that you can get compensated by the old home owners.... last time I checked, there was a law that prevented people from doing such things when moving...

get your lawyer involved, and hope for the best...

just take it all one task at a time, and it'll get done... sometimes the fresh starts aren't the fast starts.
yea, just like pupet said, the homeowners should pay for it..at least i know it was that way when i moved into my house 4 years ago, if the house wasn't in the same order that it was when we made the aggreement on the house, they would have to pay to get it back to that state. You should be ok (at least i hope) and if not, i'm sure something will work itself out
you know what i used that compnay when moving from TO to toon, and they were ok, then a bunch of stuff was missing. They stole stuff during the move...bunch of asses. But we got reimbursed for the missing stuff.

Thats bad news, i would have flipped out too.
I'm really hoping my lawyer come throught for me. There is not alot I can do either in the way of making more this house like home because of my shoulder. We may just fix it and then sell.
That's a shitty experience to have to go through. I'm glad I didnt have any problems like that when I took possession of my house, I wouldnt even have considered anything like that to happen. Hopefully the laywers can straighten things out and compensate you for some of the bullshit expenses.
No offense to you at all man, I guess you've got a LOT of stuff... but that's why I always move EVERYTHING myself.

I've got stuff that I would seriously break down and cry over if it was broken / lost / stolen.

Get those lawyers involved.
Yup call the bar on this one.

Your Lawyer should be able to recover your costs for the movers and or truck.

The previous owners have to be out of the house I think 8 hours prior to your arrival.
Lord, sounds like you had the stereotypical "Move From Hell" going there.

I'd definately get the sharks involved over the way they left the place, esp. if you have proof of the way it looked when the house was up for sale. One thing though, did the seller agree to be out of the house by a certain time? Because if they weren't out *&* left the place looking like Hurricane Dennis moonwalked all over it, I'd say they'd better bend over 'cause they're gonna get reamed.

Regarding your injury, take it easy and don't let the WCB snowjob you. In my line of work we see a lot of people who the compensation board tries to screw over, esp. regarding pre-existing injuries, even if work related.

Sucks regarding the damage to your rims, I made it a point when I moved in '03 to move anything I had any fear of damage over myself, that way, I screw up, I suffer the consequences and don't have to worry about trying to chase down anyone for the damage.

NefCanuck
Damn whats that movie with Richard Prior where he finds the movers trying to get away with his stuff and catches up to them, later he pulls out an Uzi while stand up driving in his saab. Remember when he gets home and half of the house is missing.

A little side tracked there but ya lawers should take care of your worries on this one.
Thanks for the support guys.
And yes I did have alot of stuff that is why I got movers. 8800 lbs to be exact. With my injury history I didn't want to make it worst. I did ask family to help but they didn't want to risk damage to anything. I guess with only the rims getting damage I was lucky as everything else is here.
I also know where the former owner live.

I am shipping a bunch of stuff to my lawyer in the next couple of days example picture we took of the house before and after plus a list of things I want them to fix or pay for; it'll be a long one.

When I get everything ship shape I will post pictures of the house.

I getting a heater installed next week in the garage so my baby will be nice and warm this winter. :D