FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: My First Forray Into The World Of Affordable Gps
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thought Id kill 2 birds with one stone.... Picked myself up a Palm Zire 72 w/ GPS today. Once fully charged I will post my thoughts. From all the reviews ive read the unit is very solid!

[Image: 06gps.jpg]

http://www.palm.com/us/products/handhelds/...2/index_gps.epl

-P@
how much - because im looking in to upgrade my palm?
I used a dedicated gps device for quite awhile but I found having too much stuff in the car was a pain, so I went for an all-in-one pda/cellphone/gps combo.

I am currently using an HP iPAQ GPS w/ a Windows Smartphone 2003 setup via bluetooth (SMT5600). I absolutely swear by it. Even though the screen is smaller, the version of Mapopolis I'm using has text-to-speech, so it actually reads off the street names and such. It is such a time saver, and saves me having to look at the screen too frequently. The only downfall of using this setup is that finding locations is slower than a dedicated device (even though my phone is running at 200MHz), but it re-routes very quickly and has proximity alerts and various nav display modes. My garmin quest was limited to 100megs of storage, so I prefer my smartphone that takes memory cards so I can dump multiple states/prov when I travel without deleting and re-copying every time. They also have mapopolis for the palm zire, so I would definitely check it out too.

In addition to that: I can use my bluetooth headset simultaneously and I only need to carry one device (It always watches Divx video @ 30fps stereo, syncs scheduled tv shows automatically to it from Windows XP MCE, views web pages using Opera, can open PDF files and allows me to chat using MSN wirelessly using my portable bluetooth keyboard.) Don't forget I have all sorts of games and NES emulated games on it as well... and finally: it is also a cell phone :D

Sorry.. I'm a gadget freak..

I thought your thread said "affordable GAS" I sat up in my chair hoping to read that gas was finally gonna drop below 85 for once...

:(
LMAO I did too! I paid $1.11/L last week ... ugh

That gps unit looks pretty sweet, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on it after use. Yeah, what was the cost of that set up?
1.11... thats insane! i paid 1.06 and i was pissed.
Pilled up on Speers last night for 79.9

Cool toy Pat!
taiyeungjai,Jul 19 2005, 09:49 PM Wrote:In addition to that: I can use my bluetooth headset simultaneously and I only need to carry one device (It always watches Divx video @ 30fps stereo, syncs scheduled tv shows automatically to it from Windows XP MCE, views web pages using Opera, can open PDF files and allows me to chat using MSN wirelessly using my portable bluetooth keyboard.) Don't forget I have all sorts of games and NES emulated games on it as well... and finally: it is also a cell phone :D

Sorry.. I'm a gadget freak..
[right][snapback]123594[/snapback][/right]

Wow, about the only thing that phone doesn't have on it is a camera.... Maybe by the next model year? ;)

Heh and my PDA at the time was the shiznit (A Sony Clie NZ-90) boy how times change...

That reminds me... Is there any GPS hardware/software that works on a Clie PDA (It's Palm OS based)

NefCanuck
Alrighty first impressions are this thing kicks ass... Im very impressed by the clarity and accuracy of the display, however I havent had a chance to try it outside of the city. Cost was $500 plus tax, but the PDA itself has a decent 1.2 mp camera and a bunch of other s**t. The good thing is the map software is upgradable for a small fee so provided the company (TomTom) doesnt go under im set for a while.
NefCanuck,Jul 20 2005, 02:44 PM Wrote:Wow, about the only thing that phone doesn't have on it is a camera.... Maybe by the next model year?  ;)

Heh and my PDA at the time was the shiznit (A Sony Clie NZ-90) boy how times change...

That reminds me... Is there any GPS hardware/software that works on a Clie PDA (It's Palm OS based)

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]123734[/snapback][/right]

I somehow forgot to mention that is also has a camera and a video recording feature..

I am trying to find a device now that will do all of the above, clean my car, make me rich, go to work for me, well.. I guess I'll have to dream a few years more..

You guys have some nice toys :D

Anyone know of a CF kit for a Dell Axim-ish Pocket PC?

I've got a good battery in the Axim, and it has a fair amount of power (X5 model - 400MHz / 200MHz). It has both SD and CF slots, but I've always got a SD card bogged down with MP3s :D

It does all the other stuff so when I'm at meetings, the laptop can stay at the office. I've also got a 802.11b CF card for hotspot-hopping, Skyping, etc.
taiyeungjai,Jul 20 2005, 11:17 PM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Jul 20 2005, 02:44 PM Wrote:Wow, about the only thing that phone doesn't have on it is a camera.... Maybe by the next model year?  ;)

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]123734[/snapback][/right]

I somehow forgot to mention that is also has a camera and a video recording feature..
[right][snapback]124029[/snapback][/right]

Good lord, what's the battery life like on that thing? Minutes? I mean I love my Clie but the battery life is the pits, take two photos with flash and the battery is dead tired :angry: and after a year and a half the battery is so fried that I get one photo with the flash before it goes nighty night <_<

Curse my gadget-itis at times :D

NefCanuck
Im more and more impressed by this unit each day. Highly recommended to anyone considering entry level GPS. The voice commands are perfectly timed, in a clear voice. Plus the units auto-correction is flawless (If you take a turn different than that which it recommends, it re-calculates the quickest route w/in seconds. Loving it!!!

-P@
is there a monthly or yearly subscription you have to pay?
D-Dub,Jul 21 2005, 04: Wrote:is there a monthly or yearly subscription you have to pay?
[right][snapback]124260[/snapback][/right]

None B)