FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Rant About Salespeople
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sorry but I need to vent about this somewhere :P

I'm searching for 16' rims to replace the stockers on my car. I want 16's for several reasons:

1) I can re-use the rubber I have now (Pirelli P6's with barely 20,000km on em)

2) No storage hassles trying to keep the 16's for winter (Not to mention the hassle for me of switching over)

3) Try to find all season rubber at 17' and larger, either you're paying through the nasal cavity or nothing is available.

Do you think any of the tire places I've gone to listen to me when I tell them I want 16' rims that fit a Focus? No they keep trying to upsell me on "packages" of rims & rubber 17's & 18's, trying to convince me that storing the 16's & rubber won't be a problem during the summer months <_<

When did stores start thinking they could tell the customer what they *should* buy instead of helping them buy what they *want* :angry:

NefCanuck
i can hook ya up with 16s if u want?
FociS8nt,Jul 18 2005, 09:53 PM Wrote:i can hook ya up with 16s if u want?
[right][snapback]123271[/snapback][/right]

Which rims do you have access to? I have a couple of local places pamphlets (No prices natch) so I'm looking at both what you can get and what it'll cost me (Including the shipping from where you are)

NefCanuck
17' rubber for winter will be..210 before taxes.......
redsvtfocus,Jul 18 2005, 10:47 PM Wrote:17' rubber for winter will be..210 before taxes.......
[right][snapback]123282[/snapback][/right]

Problem is I need all season 17's, no storage at condo (To be precise all I have is insuite storage, no way I can physically move one tire NVM four in there :( )

NefCanuck
I can make room in my garage to store your tires for you.
NefCanuck,Jul 19 2005, 01:51 AM Wrote:Sorry but I need to vent about this somewhere  :P

I'm searching for 16' rims to replace the stockers on my car.  I want 16's for several reasons:

When did stores start thinking they could tell the customer what they *should* buy instead of helping them buy what they *want*  :angry:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]123269[/snapback][/right]

You're experiencing the same thing I am right now (looking for 16" rims for my Mystique) - and I think part of the problem is that there is actually a better selection of 17s and 18s in our bolt pattern.

I think I have a wholesale source in Canada that I can access through my friend the dealer. Maybe we can work together on this ... if you're interested PM me with the brand and models you're interested in.

Cheers.
counterpoint (though this doesn't really apply to you, in particular)

some salespeople suggest alternatives when they honeslty feel the customer is making a bad decision...or at least when they think the customer hasn't considered those alternatives in the first place.

why? sometimes it's profit motive, no question...but sometimes it's because they honestly feel the alternative is better for the customer, for whatever reason.

Customers who realize AFTER the fact that they made a poor choice will often retrun to rip the salespeople, feeling that they should have been told of other options.

I get that ALL the time in my line of work (mortgages)...some dumb ass is applying for a 1 or 2 year term, because of the lower rate, instead of paying a *slightly* higher rate for a longer term. Given that both fixed and variable rates are at historical lows right now and are going to rise in the very near future, and that when they go to renew in 1-2 years the rates will likely be signficantly higher than they are now, it's in their interests to take a longer term with a slightly higher rate (in most cases).

i.e. I don't want my clients calling me in a year or two, freaking out at their shitty renewal options, so I strongly suggest the longer term alternative now. Pay a little more now, to save a lot later...vs. paying slightly less now and getting f**ked in the future. They may be leary now, but I point out that I don't get paid based on the term they choose, so it's honest advice...they'll thank me later :)

now in your case, you certainly appear to have thought your situation through...and a GOOD salesperson should recognize that fact and back off ;)
Marction,Jul 19 2005, 02:26 PM Wrote:counterpoint (though this doesn't really apply to you, in particular)

some salespeople suggest alternatives when they honeslty feel the customer is making a bad decision...or at least when they think the customer hasn't considered those alternatives in the first place.

why?  sometimes it's profit motive, no question...but sometimes it's because they honestly feel the alternative is better for the customer, for whatever reason.

Customers who realize AFTER the fact that they made a poor choice will often retrun to rip the salespeople, feeling that they should have been told of other options.

I get that ALL the time in my line of work (mortgages)...some dumb ass is applying for a 1 or 2 year term, because of the lower rate, instead of paying a *slightly* higher rate for a longer term.  Given that both fixed and variable rates are at historical lows right now and are going to rise in the very near future, and that when they go to renew in 1-2 years the rates will likely be signficantly higher than they are now, it's in their interests to take a longer term with a slightly higher rate (in most cases).

i.e. I don't want my clients calling me in a year or two, freaking out at their shitty renewal options, so I strongly suggest the longer term alternative now.  Pay a little more now, to save a lot later...vs. paying slightly less now and getting f**ked in the future.  They may be leary now, but I point out that I don't get paid based on the term they choose, so it's honest advice...they'll thank me later :)

now in your case, you certainly appear to have thought your situation through...and a GOOD salesperson should recognize that fact and back off ;)
[right][snapback]123432[/snapback][/right]

Oh believe me, I know all about know about your options and upside/downside. In my line of work I have to make sure the client understands every possible legal outcome, I mean we're talking about whether or not they get to keep their home :ph34r:

The fact that some people despite getting my upside/downside speech, jump off the cliff anyways and expect me to be able to pull them back from mid-air truly frightens me <_<

In terms of my problem, I honestly think most of the places I've gone, seeing that all I want is rims realize that there won't be much (if any) profit to be made on the sale and decide I'm not worth the bother... Guess what? If that's their attitute, the feeling is MUTUAL <_<

Oh well, it could be worse, at least the car runs like a champ :D

NefCanuck