FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: So, I Suck At The Track
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
BrooksZX3,Jul 20 2005, 12:58 PM Wrote:I think you want the tires to hook up as soon as possible, so there is fine line between letting'er rip and being gentle.  I think it's that balance that makes a good launch... I suck at launching
[right][snapback]123803[/snapback][/right]

What about letting air out of my tires before I run?

What should my tire pressure be? There currently at 32 psi. Thats what I was running Saturday night also....
waht kind of suspension are you running? how soft is it?

i think any high power, short geared FWD car needs a limited slip(in your plans) to get a good time. even wiht super sticky tires i dunno how well youll hook up.

my friend with the turbo zx2 had the same problem as you, could hook up til 3rd gear and by then his 60 ft was shot. he tried taking it easy and it did was beat up his stock clutch.

power is great, but only if you can get it to the pavement efficiently

Quote:waht kind of suspension are you running? how soft is it?
Fk Hitec 40/60mm kit.

Quote:i think any high power, short geared FWD car needs a limited slip(in your plans) to get a good time.  even wiht super sticky tires i dunno how well youll hook up.

my friend with the turbo zx2 had the same problem as you, could hook up til 3rd gear and by then his 60 ft was shot. he tried taking it easy and it did was beat up his stock clutch.

limited slip is def in the plans. Probably wont be in until next year though.

Quote:power is great, but only if you can get it to the pavement efficiently

Its only at the track I have serious issues with traction. On the street I have issues but nothing as serious as trying to luanch on 3 inches of cooked rubber :ph34r:
do you get alot of weight shift on launch?

tire pressure-you could have gone a little lower--27psi on the fronts (what size rim???)

im assuming you drove around the burnout box?
If you can't swing track rubber, and you're throwing around that amount of torque sans LSD... lower the tires to 25ish PSI and definitely back off in 1st a tad, but hammer on it for 2nd and up.

My Dad taught me all I needed to know... the stuff he had would make most amateur racers weep with joy.

My fave: '70 Dodge 1/4-ton with a 440 CID bored and stroked to 492 CID, done up... 475-525 BHP, could do 70+ MPH in 2nd gear religiously. That truck was a beast. I'm pretty sure he was mid 11s through the quarter 90% of the time.

The treads in the back were the 1980s equiv. of Viper-sized tires, still street-legal.
ZX5focused,Jul 20 2005, 01:34 PM Wrote:do you get alot of weight shift on launch?

tire pressure-you could have gone a little lower--27psi on the fronts (what size rim???)

im assuming you drove around the burnout box?
[right][snapback]123830[/snapback][/right]

No 'weight shift' at all in my car. All bushings and motor mounts were replaced also.

Tire pressure was at 32 psi, just like it is everyday. I didnt touch my tire pressure at all that night. 15" Tires.

No I idnt warm up my tires before the run. I'm trying to keep the clutch lasting as long as possible. :P You guys will be impressed with a boosted foci with 160 000+ km's on stock clutch, right? :unsure:
When I was trying to baby the 1st-2nd gear to get better traction, my times SUCKED BALLS!

Jsut get slicks! I have some nice 15x7" rims ready for slicks :)
Flofocus,Jul 20 2005, 01:54 PM Wrote:I'm trying to keep the clutch lasting as long as possible.  :P  You guys will be impressed with a boosted foci with 160 000+ km's on stock clutch, right?  :unsure:
[right][snapback]123849[/snapback][/right]

not if you contiously run mid to high 14s!!!! :P jk
i launched at about 2500-2750rpm and drop the clutch.. if i go too low, it'll just grab too easily and drop my rpms back to start... if i rev too high, then i just do a burn out all 1st gear (and i know i can pull it off without smoking all 1st)..

I have some falken azenis too and it was a pretty disgustingly hot day so the tires did stick.. i also wasn't running 10psi though ;)

but i managed a few 2.3s 60f at least.. but its hard on a fwd. Slicks will help alot.. but hooking up like that is jsut worse on your clutch an axles.. of course i'd still try it hehe.. i just don't like not having a time that reflects my actual street trim..
Pages: 1 2